Guest viewing is limited

“Elderly” in Japan

User#6517

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ever since I moved, I’ve been taking the bus to a nearby major station instead of the train because it’s 1) closer, 2) less crowded, and 3) I just like looking out the window.

I noticed that most of the passengers whom I’d consider to be older (60+) prefer or tend to use the normal seats instead of the priority seats. Even though the priority seats are empty and closer to the entrance, they slowly walk toward the back of the bus, sometimes carrying walking canes.

At first, I thought that they just didn’t want to accept the fact that they’re no longer young and able to walk like they once used to, but now I’m wondering if Japan has an age requirement for being considered “elderly”. Does something like that exist?

I think they're perhaps giving consideration to others in a worse case then themselves. I don't know what age requirement it is for the special "free pass" that I see some use. (Google's not my friend today)

now I’m wondering if Japan has an age requirement for being considered “elderly”. Does something like that exist?

Nope, they're just keeping those seats open for people that need them more than they do.

The way I understand it, if they can move in a normal fashion, they try to leave those seats open for those who are in greater need.

But, depending on where you live, the attitude can be vastly different about who uses the priority seats.
Luckily, I still see younger folks give up their seats to elderly passengers that can't stand up while the bus is moving or just giving access to a easier seat.

As for a age requirement, haven't heard of one... but I understand that retired (or just elderly?) get passes to use the bus/train for free.

I admit that sometimes I do use the priority seats when no other seats are free. I know what is considered elderly age in Japan is probably 10-15 years more than the American equivalent, but still i immediately vacate the seat if i see someone looking 55+ get on. Half the time they don't even use it and we both end up standing.

Last week on the train i saw two young Chinese tourists getting VERY loudly told off by a 60+ Japanese woman who was standing while they sat in the priority seats with their suitcases.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Last week on the train i saw two young Chinese tourists getting VERY loudly told off by a 60+ Japanese woman who was standing while they sat in the priority seats with their suitcases.

I could very well be wrong, but my guess is she might have been more upset about standing for a couple of non-Japanese Asians, particularly Chinese, than for some some younger folks.

But hard to say without actually having been there.

I could very well be wrong, but my guess is she might have been more upset about standing for a couple of non-Japanese Asians, particularly Chinese, than for some some younger folks.

But hard to say without actually having been there.
Sitting in a priority seat with your luggage is bad unless you are handicapped or aged and need the space.

Sitting in a priority seat with your luggage is bad unless you are handicapped or aged and need the space.

Don't disagree, but I wonder if she would have been mouthing off at a Japanese salaryman doing the same thing.

Reactions: Durg50
Don't disagree, but I wonder if she would have been mouthing off at a Japanese salaryman doing the same thing.

Seen it dozens of times. Those types of obasan are savage. And they're equal opportunity savages - they go off on everyone. Colloquially 鬼婆 (onibaba)

There was a comic and an animated series that played off the savagery and perceived selfishness of these women called Obatarian.

(Play on words - the zombie movie "Return of the Living Dead" was called バタリアン in Japan, so おばさんは + バタリアン became オバタリアン - monstrous old lady.)

I'm sure you'll recognize some of the antics even now 30 years later....

When I did a Google search earlier, I found this article:
https://japantoday.com/category/cri...beating-youth-sitting-in-priority-seat-of-bus

She actually beat an 18-year-old’s face with an umbrella and broke his nose because he didn’t want to get up from the priority seat.

I’m still surprised by the amount of comments praising the obasan. Don’t think neither of them are in the right, to be honest.

It's easy to assume someone who looks young and fit might not need the seat. I'd rather give people the benefit of the doubt instead of berating someone who may have a non-apparent injury or handicap.

I’m still surprised by the amount of comments praising the obasan.

I'm not surprised at all. I've wanted to thrash some of those little bastards myself when I see them trying to ignore pregnant women and people on crutches.

I'd have donated to her legal fund if she had one.

It's easy to assume someone who looks young and fit might not need the seat. I'd rather give people the benefit of the doubt instead of berating someone who may have a non-apparent injury or handicap.
I'm not surprised at all. I've wanted to thrash some of those little bastards myself when I see them trying to ignore pregnant women and people on crutches.

I'd have donated to her legal fund if she had one.
Both of these things make sense to me. The guy could have had an invisible illness or could have been just an ass.
I do not think it was a good move of her though. A few firm slaps on his shins with that umbrella would also have gotten the message across without permanent damage to his face and legal consequences for her.

Reactions: MissInsomnia
This is a very interesting topic! It's quite true, those eldery give priority seats, to ever more older than them, or as many of you say, handicapped, etc. They are quite tough minded people...

I try to give seats when I happened to sat down on "priority seats" and saw an eldery gets on. Most of them thank me for giving up the seat, but I feel sad, when I take an action and the eldery takes the seat by no reaction. Just like, "that should be it" or...what so ever. So cold. or they just don't have personal feeling, etc.

What I also don't like, is that when a couple stands in front, there an empty seat, and if I move there, they can take the seat, and I used to do that, and surprisingly, most of them don't thank for my action, for their sake. Ex. the mother gives a child to let her sit and go, "it's vacant. you go and sit".

It's not vacant. I moved for your sake.

Ever since, I don't do that anymore. Even I see a couple standing near, a seat next is open and if I move, they can't sit, I don't take an action. I don't care. They're not old, anyways lol.

Ever since I moved, I’ve been taking the bus to a nearby major station instead of the train because it’s 1) closer, 2) less crowded, and 3) I just like looking out the window.

At first, I thought that they just didn’t want to accept the fact that they’re no longer young and able to walk like they once used to, but now I’m wondering if Japan has an age requirement for being considered “elderly”. Does something like that exist?

I am glad I am not the only one, I am totally the same way -> bus vs. train/subway.

On a related note, and to add to the complex and sensitive social interactions between the young and old, need to be careful judging who you consider "elderly". Someone might take offense that you think they are old. I have had this backfire on me.

I am glad I am not the only one, I am totally the same way -> bus vs. train/subway.

On a related note, and to add to the complex and sensitive social interactions between the young and old, need to be careful judging who you consider "elderly". Someone might take offense that you think they are old. I have had this backfire on me.
I didn’t mean it in an offensive way. Plus, I think I’ve heard worse things on TAG than the word “elderly”.

I didn’t mean it in an offensive way. Plus, I think I’ve heard worse things on TAG than the word “elderly”.
Don't worry, i dont think anyone thinks you meant it in an offensive way.

Maybe he is saying that some people might take offense to a seat being offered to them. I agree with this. There are grumpy, ungrateful oldies out there who take offense to any perceived inadequecy/'elderliness'. Sometimes to offer my seat i just get up and stay silent. At least now there's a possibility i was doing it just to stretch my legs :D

When I did a Google search earlier, I found this article:
https://japantoday.com/category/cri...beating-youth-sitting-in-priority-seat-of-bus

She actually beat an 18-year-old’s face with an umbrella and broke his nose because he didn’t want to get up from the priority seat.

I’m still surprised by the amount of comments praising the obasan. Don’t think neither of them are in the right, to be honest.

haha this is brilliant. thanks for sharing. I support the old bitch 100%. If everyone just lashed out at people in public that are being annoying, the world would quickly become a better place.

I don’t mind offering my seat for older people or others who need to be seated in general.

But it happened once during rush hour.
I let two trains pass to get on a specific train that departs from the station as my journey was going to be sort of long and I was too tired to stand in amazingly packed train; it could be harder for short people like myself just to stand in crowd. I finally could get on an empty train, got a comfy corner seat, I was happy. We stayed there for 7-8 more minutes. It got really packed.
Then just half a minute before the door finally closed, this old woman with lots of stuff came in and held the bar right next to me so I had to give up my seat to her.
She kinda expected me to offer, she thanked me but you know... I was also tired after long day and waited good 10+ minutes in cold on a platform just to get a seat.
Wish she could go around the priority section if she wanted others to offer her their seat, not random regular seats. Am I too cruel?

Last edited:
@oLUXo
I sometimes use the priority seat myself but in that case, I always look at the door each time we stop at station to make sure there is no elderly or handicapped person coming in.
But again, I am not a young kid, lol.