Guest viewing is limited

“Japanese Only” Bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

SugoiBoy

TAG Member
Reaction score
If you’re a gaijin, then what do you think of “Japanese Only” bars?

Personally, they remind me of Star Wars. The policy makes me feel like a droid trying to get into Chalmun's Cantina in Mos Eisley on the planet Tatooine.

Well if some bar doesn't want my business I usually have no issue finding another one... no big deal. Would be more annoying if it happens at the ER after a bad accident!

Personally, they remind me of Star Wars. The policy makes me feel like a droid trying to get into Chalmun's Cantina in Mos Eisley on the planet Tatooine.

NERDS! NERDS! NERDS!

Kidding. :)

I think this happens just about anywhere. Even in the most cosmopolitan town, I think most bars in most western bars would have a tough time serving someone that didn't speak the native language. It's doubly difficult in Japan where there's such a big focus on customer service.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Mostly the only bars I see that are "Japanese only" are hostess bars/kyaba or matchmaking bars. There used to be plenty of bars and restaurants that barred foriegners back in the 90s, especially in Kansai, but they're pretty rare now.

Has this happened recently? In Tokyo? Was it a regular bar?
I have only been denied entrance to a regular bar once in Tokyo. It was super late & there were two mega Japanese stars drinking with friends. I recognized who they were immediately.
My non Japanese speaking friends really raised a fuss without even listening to the bartender try to explain he's actually only still open because they were there.

Yes, it has happened to me at least a couple of times in and around Tokyo during the past year.

A few places still even have "Japanese Only" signs.

Last edited:
It is more common around US military bases than in Tokyo. Around the bases there are bars that cater to the base crowd as part of their business model, then there are bars that make it part of their model to deny gaijin from entering.

There must be a draw to the bars that restrict access, because I doubt they would do it if they weren't making money.

Frankly, I can understand it to a degree. US servicemembers can be rowdy and annoying. I say that having been one myself.

If I ran a bar near a US base it would be a dive. Cheap decorations and furniture with a strict "cash on delivery" policy for every drink and food order.

They will steal anything that isn't nailed down and walkout on open bar tabs like you wouldn't believe.

There must be a draw to the bars that restrict access, because I doubt they would do it if they weren't making money.

In the areas near bases, the "draw" is for locals to be able to go and have a drink without American service members around.

In the areas near bases, the "draw" is for locals to be able to go and have a drink without American service members around.

Oh, like I said I completely understand. They can be loud and obnoxious.

Oh, like I said I completely understand. They can be loud and obnoxious.

No doubt about that - but not many of us were much better at their age, given that most of them are 20-21 years old. :)

NERDS! NERDS! NERDS!

Kidding. :)

I think this happens just about anywhere. Even in the most cosmopolitan town, I think most bars in most western bars would have a tough time serving someone that didn't speak the native language. It's doubly difficult in Japan where there's such a big focus on customer service.
No way in france... You should have a racist association trial on the ass for sure!

At least the Japanese are honest about it. Having been to france and seen first hand how jews and non-white people get treated in some places I can't say as much for the french.

Are you kidding ? or may be you were in Corsica hahaha, Or in Paris but in the 60s ? :D

Now there is something like full quarters populated only with foreigners in Paris mate... Put this kind of restriction in your entrance, i can bet with you what you want :) that you will put it of in less than 48h.

Its not an honestly question, just a liberty question imo, as normally you are the owner of your business so you should be free to do what you want in, and i would like to be able to do the same, but not with Japaneses... In my business its Japan Friendly :)

Last edited:
Are you kidding ? or may be you were in Corsica hahaha, Or in Paris but in the 60s ? :D

Paris 2016. Almost exactly a year ago. My brown skinned colleague and I were refused service at several places. Once very openly and in front of our French clients who we were to discuss business with.

Put this kind of restriction in your entrance, i can bet with you what you want :) that you will put it of in less than 48h.

Thats the thing, in France you can't put a sign up but the discrimination is still present. I prefer the Japanese way of being up front and honest about it. Here at least there are actual reasons beyond discrimination.

Some Japanese are racist, but at least they are usually polite about it, if that makes any sense.
Honestly I don't think the traditional western understanding of the word "racism" translates exactly. That is to say that the Japanese (like my people the Jews) have a clear sense of "our people" and "other people". This isn't a wrong thing but unfortunately in the West there is an increasing delusion that "everyone is exactly the same" and "everyone on earth should think like we do" and to go against that idea gets you branded as "racist" or endorsing all sorts of -isms and schisms.

Paris 2016. Almost exactly a year ago. My brown skinned colleague and I were refused service at several places.

I live there, and i never heard something like that, as if you were in Paris, you noticed that the "brown skinned" community is very present, true?

where it was? In Pigalle quarter or something? Im the owner of some business, and i can assure you this way is just impossible in France actually, and may be you were not accepted in some place NOT because of a skinned color, sorry to tell you that but i dont believe you mate...

I live there, and i never heard something like that, as if you were in Paris, you noticed that the "brown skinned" community is very present, true?

where it was? In Pigalle quarter or something? Im the owner of some business, and i can assure you this way is just impossible in France actually, and may be you were not accepted in some place NOT because of a skinned color, sorry to tell you that but i dont believe you mate...
Just because it has never happened to you, doesnt mean it hasn't happened to other people.

When I was in Paris last October, I saw a black couple get rejected at the bar's entrance. Then, in my case, I got rejected at one club for not being able to understand French.. so, there's no doubt in my mind that TheScientist is being honest.

i can assure you this way is just impossible in France actually
If you are going to call me a liar, at least do it honestly.

I understand enough french to know that it was definitely about me and my colleague's respective ethnicities. And before you come back that it must have been so and so area, fact is that it was an upscale area and both of us were in nice suits.

Shit happens. As @MissInsomnia pointed out already, just because you have not seen it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Anyway Paris is a nice city, I've been back since this happened and will return if business demands it.

I live there, and i never heard something like that... It sounds totally crazy, where it was? In Pigalle?
Just because it has never happened to you, doesnt mean it hasn't happened to other people.

When I was in Paris last October, I saw a black couple get rejected at the bar's entrance. Then, in my case, I got rejected at one club for not being able to understand French.. so, there's no doubt in my mind that TheScientist is being honest.

But im white, and i also been rejected from some bars, in france yes, but on another country too, try to think about that ;)

The attitude, not only the color!!

Last edited:
Shit happens. As @MissInsomnia pointed out already, just because you have not seen it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Hahaha, the famous consensus :D

But you are talking about the country " des droits de l'homme" (translate by yourself)

Paris is the " city of love ", that make a lot of people jealous, this is the true. And i keep that in a normal bar its just impossible, there is no "white bars" in france, no way, no way...

Pardon me to be so direct, but im french hue!

Last edited:

When I was in Paris last October, I saw a black couple get rejected at the bar's entrance.

Dear, i live there and work in tourism business, for 40 years, i think definitely that yes, i know what im talking about...
And if the couple you mentioned was drunk, look like tramp, or something else...yes of course they will be rejected, no matter their color ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.