Guest viewing is limited

1/21/2019 - Shooting in Kabukicho - One Man Dead

TAG Manager

Executive Leadership
Reaction score
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/nnn?a=20190121-00000083-nnn-soci
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/jnn?a=20190121-00000047-jnn-soci
https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASM1P6DRDM1PUTIL040.html

There was a shooting tonight in Kabukicho - basic details are that one man is dead and the other that did the shooting hasn't been caught yet. This happened around 6:30 PM in the big Karaoke place just across from the Krispy Kreme/Toho Cinema building.

Both men were in their 50's-60's and it seemed that both were Yakuza related. No other normal customer or passerby became involved.

You can expect an updated crackdown in the area, especially with the number of tourists in the area now.

I saw a crack down already this past weekend with a bunch of people getting searched and ID carded by the police (maybe it was training weekend), but this is gonna get worse. One south asian guy with a shaved head was complaining heavily that he'd already been carded twice. (And some people on this board claim that gaijin carding never happens... like it's an urban legend or something.)

I saw a crack down already this past weekend with a bunch of people getting searched and ID carded by the police (maybe it was training weekend), but this is gonna get worse. One south asian guy with a shaved head was complaining heavily that he'd already been carded twice. (And some people on this board claim that gaijin carding never happens... like it's an urban legend or something.)

Of course it happens. No one denies that. However, I assume most of us don't ever get stopped for whatever reason if we're normal people just going about our business.
I'm in Shinjuku/Kabukicho a lot and not ever been stopped, or they are just used to seeing me going back and forth all the time. lol.

better to avoid K. for a while now

Why? If it's the police you're worried about, they're looking for yakuza with firearms, not horny punters with hardons. The worst that might happen is they might be checking passports/gaijin cards a little more.

If it's the yaks you're worried about, they're not having wild shootouts in the street. Bullets cost too much for them to do that. The going rate is around 10,000 yen per round for handgun ammunition.

Why? If it's the police you're worried about, they're looking for yakuza with firearms, not horny punters with hardons. The worst that might happen is they might be checking passports/gaijin cards a little more.

If it's the yaks you're worried about, they're not having wild shootouts in the street. Bullets cost too much for them to do that. The going rate is around 10,000 yen per round for handgun ammunition.

Not especially worried, just dont want extra hassle. Having said that maybe it will be less hassle (more police , less touts!)

Reactions: Yuriko and Sudsy
maybe it will be less hassle (more police , less touts!)

Last few times I've been down Kabukicho the tout activity in the area seems to have already drastically decreased. Last time (about a week ago) I actually didn't see a single one of the Nigerians.

Last few times I've been down Kabukicho the tout activity in the area seems to have already drastically decreased. Last time (about a week ago) I actually didn't see a single one of the Nigerians.
True, I noticed a decrease too

Reactions: Sudsy

10,000 sounds cheap! Bet they have "supply channels" for guns and ammo that are even cheaper.

Would be interesting to see what the Kabukicho "ecosystem" would look like if the Yaks were extinct (...and no other organized crime syndicate took there place).

I always thought part of the reason Kabukicho was such a "safe" red light district was because the Yakuza kept order there. Or is that a myth?

10,000 sounds cheap!

Not really when you think a full box will cost you half a million in the street to buy. Over the counter price in the land of the free and the home of the brave would be less than ten bucks. The price is only justifiable for that 4+ years of jail you will get when caught smuggling that box in.

Last edited:
Reactions: namae
The going rate is around 10,000 yen per round for handgun ammunition.

I find that really hard to believe. Maybe for a local joe who's not in the yakuza, but you would think the yakuza are the ones bringing the ammunition into the country surely they aren't paying that rate themselves.

surely they aren't paying that rate themselves

That was from an Adelstein article, take that as you will.

My understanding, though, is that there are a small number of arms smugglers who supply them.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
That was from an Adelstein article, take that as you will.

My understanding, though, is that there are a small number of arms smugglers who supply them.
The Russians I heard from a fairly reliable source.

The Russians I heard from a fairly reliable source.

Yeah, they come in via Hokkaido is my understanding, you can practically throw them (and a lot of other stuff) from one island to the next.

Yeah, they come in via Hokkaido is my understanding, you can practically throw them (and a lot of other stuff) from one island to the next.
Geeeshhh, do we have the same source? :p

Geeeshhh, do we have the same source? :p

Nah, just common sense. :)

When I first came here, every time a yak got arrested for firearms, he was picked up with a Tokarev or a Makarov.

Reactions: just4fun

I was thinking most of the guns would have been "sourced" through the police force .... but the Russian channel makes sense if they want to "out-gun" the Koban crew.

I was thinking most of the guns would have been "sourced" through the police force

Police firearms are pretty tightly controlled - they even have to turn in spent brass from range practice for accounting.

Can we go back to the didn’t see a single Nigerian comment. The wife and I can’t go a quarter of block without being offered “a very special night” by those guys. Lol