Guest viewing is limited

Closed A few ideas...(Don't know if mentioned before)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh420

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hey TAG team; :coffee:
Here are some things that I believe would be nice for your website:

First and foremost, an "About Us" page may be a good idea? I myself always like to check that section on other websites to get an idea of where the site derived from and what they hope on achieving etc.

Secondly, some similar websites have a relevance feedback system that lets other users know if a thread was informative or concluded.... (does this make sense?) Windows support forums are a slight reference.
For example at the end of a thread: "Was this post helpful or not?" ___ users found this helpful....

And lastly (For now), Being able to translate the page in more languages that can for surely support Italian,German and maybe indonesian participants. Perhaps a google translation system built within the site would come in handy for those who can't understand....

This may sound like non-sense or "stating the obvious" for y'all but you know....it's not a bad thing.

Ciao :cigar:

Reactions: ur19877
Warning: Working for various organizations that believe in good design has really turned me into a design snob.

Speaking personally and not as a moderator, I think some of these ideas are good as an OPTION. I vastly prefer sites that have less user elements than more. honestly. Putting a bunch of stuff on the page makes it hard to read and doesn't really add a whole lot to the usability or experience of the site, IMO. There's already a relevance feedback system. There's "Like" and "Report". It's pretty simple to find reviews or posts that are relatively accurate and informative. Look for the posts and users with a lot of likes and a lot of posts. Having a translation system or much better, being able to post in multiple languages would be a great idea, but to be honest it would be an administration nightmare. Some people would come in and only post in Bahasa, and that means we'd either need an Indonesian moderator, or I'd have to quickly get an Indonesian girlfriend to fast track my language ability. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for your feedback!

First and foremost, an "About Us" page may be a good idea? I myself always like to check that section on other websites to get an idea of where the site derived from and what they hope on achieving etc.
Had one before; was basically useless. Most views were from bots/search engines. TAG 3.0, however, may have something integrated in the main page. This is literally sketched on my notebook, so nothing is set in stone yet. (We had place in the footer for 'About Us' but it turned out to eat too much real estate on mobile devices, which account for 50% of our daily traffic.

Secondly, some similar websites have a relevance feedback system that lets other users know if a thread was informative or concluded.... (does this make sense?) Windows support forums are a slight reference.
For example at the end of a thread: "Was this post helpful or not?" ___ users found this helpful....
We currently have a like system, which is scheduled for expansion in TAG 3.0 (stay tuned). The system you speak of, asking if this post was helpful or not, is just likes with a different phrase. There are plans to enhance how we show popular content to members and visitors, but very much still in the design phases.

And lastly (For now), Being able to translate the page in more languages that can for surely support Italian,German and maybe indonesian participants. Perhaps a google translation system built within the site would come in handy for those who can't understand....
Google Translate: No thanks. We currently offer French and German iterations of the site with ~90% translation, phrase for phrase. We require all posts to be in ENGLISH or if it's a foreign language, a translation should be included. (Except private conversations, we don't care about what is used there.) -- To be fair, we already see a fair number of people using Google Translate on their own. Even more, people are using the context menu in Chrome that auto-translates the page into whichever language they have the browser set to.

We're trying to keep the main page of TAG down to essentials for a few reasons. One the big reasons is so that people can safely look at TAG from the comfort of any public or private setting.

Thanks for your feedback. Please look forward to eventually seeing TAG 3.0 within the coming year. (yes, it will take awhile to complete... lol.)

Warning: Working for various organizations that believe in good design has really turned me into a design snob.

I was hoping I'd have a sly response to this but no. :/

So I'm figuring out "thee" perspective for now I suppose..just catching up...

Just with the likes though, it doesn't mean if the thread was relevant or not. Maybe just a note that mentions the thread has been concluded or on-going would be nice?

Lastly;
I vastly prefer sites that have less user elements than more. honestly. Putting a bunch of stuff on the page makes it hard to read and doesn't really add a whole lot to the usability or experience of the site,
We're trying to keep the main page of TAG down to essentials

There is a lot of open space on the PC version.... lol

Anyway, here are some other things:

1. Since this site is quite "international", how does a country flag or reference towards the users native homeland under their picture within the thread sound?【after TAG member】

2.Also, does TAG have a banner on other websites at the moment? Where do most of the members come from?

Adios
JM

Status
Not open for further replies.