Guest viewing is limited

A Girl Tried To Pick Me Up Yesterday

rick

hmm
Reaction score
Yesterday evening, I made up my mind to hit the town, wander around and play the field a little. I had some yen in the pocket and I was ready to meet new people.

Perhaps I should stress early on that my approach to pick-up varies somewhat from the usual take. Instead of chatting up girls that are hot or cute, I prefer to find someone that I instinctively feel matches me and build a connection. That's probably the folly of a young and inexperienced boy, and it might explain why I haven't slept with any of the girls I met off the streets.

When I was still going to school, I had a decent time with the ladies, nothing crazy, but I've left all that behind now. In Tokyo I try to focus on interacting with many people, guys or girls. Just through talking to people on the street, I found them to be surprisingly receptive and open.

So it was with an open mind that I boarded the train to Shinjuku. I was listening to some Carmen McRae and preparing for a great evening. Maybe tonight I'd find the girl that I felt was nice enough to take home. As a matter of preference I don't approach on the train, least of all rush hour. I like to take it slow and listen to music, get in the mood. By the time I get to the main streets the headphones come off and my tongue is loose.

As I was climbing the stairs up out of the station, out of the blue, a girl tapped me on the shoulder. I don't even remember where she came from, I was wrapped up in a song. Perhaps she approached me from the side. She was smiling at me, and I instinctively took off my headphones. She said something like, "If you'd like, why don't we go out together?" And the first thing I could think of was, "Do I know her?" I was probably silent for too long because she laughed and said, "...so, are you good?"

Now, I've been approached by touts and girls in the seedy and not-so-seedy areas of Tokyo quite a number of times, and this girl didn't give off that vibe at all. It seemed like she was just looking for someone to have fun with. Truth be told, she wasn't the kind of girl I'd talk to. She didn't even look good. Maybe 7/10 on a good day when the sun was shining the right way. I'm no James Dean myself, so I wasn't about to reject her on the basis of being some hot guy - I'm just your average guy, only I dress well.

However, I was a little shocked and not very interested, so I told her I was sorry but I had things to do. She was like, never mind, that's okay.

I took a little detour to a café nearby where I had a black coffee and several cigarettes. I mulled over what had happened slowly. Thinking about it, perhaps if she had asked a little later I would've said yes. Life is made of small adventures after all, and who knows if she might've had some friends that I was interested in.

Nevertheless, what happened happened, and there's only moving forward.

If you were in my place, what would you have done?

The whole affair called up a verse of a song I knew and loved.
"Don't blame it on my heart,
blame it on my youth."

Reactions: Kegger
Yeah, sometimes those can be a little jarring. I didn't get asked out directly, but one time when I was in Nagoya a girl came up to me in a train station just as I started looking at one of the station maps, and asked me (in English) whether I needed any help. She was alright looking, but I almost instinctively was like "nah, I know where I'm going, thanks."

I'd think if I had time to think about it and didn't have any other plans I'd probably hang out with someone that approached me like that. That's pretty rare in Japan.

I didn't get asked out directly, but one time when I was in Nagoya a girl came up to me in a train station just as I started looking at one of the station maps, and asked me (in English) whether I needed any help. She was alright looking, but I almost instinctively was like "nah, I know where I'm going, thanks."

Times they really are a changin'. When I was just a lost puppy back in the Showa period the standard operating procedure was always to ditch all maps and just go to the cutest girl in the station for advice.

Normally you got safely home and if you got really lucky you got lost together.

However, I was a little shocked and not very interested, so I told her I was sorry but I had things to do. She was like, never mind, that's okay.

I took a little detour to a café nearby where I had a black coffee and several cigarettes. I mulled over what had happened slowly. Thinking about it, perhaps if she had asked a little later I would've said yes. Life is made of small adventures after all, and who knows if she might've had some friends that I was interested in.

Nevertheless, what happened happened, and there's only moving forward.

Fwiiw imo, the technical term for what you did (passing up the opportunity) is "mistake"...not a catastrophic one to be sure, but in my experience it is usually best to explore, at least to a limited extent, unexpected and unusual opportunities that present themselves, even if they do not appear promising at a first impression. I mean this in a very general way, not only in the context of meeting women by any means. You will have a more interesting and vivid life if you don't try to predict and/or control where each path through life will lead you.

-Ww

I had something similar happen once in Ikebukuro... I was waiting for a train to go back to Shinjuku, and a cute young thing sidled up and asked, in English, if she could come home with me. I was so nonplussed I said something about meeting friends and probably blew a night of crazy sex. Or dodged a serial killer. :)

I had something similar happen once in Ikebukuro... I was waiting for a train to go back to Shinjuku, and a cute young thing sidled up and asked, in English, if she could come home with me. I was so nonplussed I said something about meeting friends and probably blew a night of crazy sex. Or dodged a serial killer. :)

IMO the latter is farm more likely than the former ;)

From what you guys have said, perhaps it's more instinct than nonchalance?

We have it built into us to be wary of strangers, so it's somewhat natural to reject a girl if she has a sudden approach.
If you are too upfront as a guy, and not particularly attractive, I think the girl you approach would be scared/put off too.

But you are right, overcoming instinct, trying new things, isn't that what life is about?
I remembered part of a poem:

Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose garden

Is it too early for this? It usually sounds better after a couple drinks :ROFLMAO:

I might PM you my number and, if this ever happens again, u just forward them to me, ok? hahaha ;D

Reactions: DireWolf98
From what you guys have said, perhaps it's more instinct than nonchalance?

Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose garden

Is it too early for this? It usually sounds better after a couple drinks :ROFLMAO:

Or rather:
Robert Herrick. 1591–1674

To the Virgins, to make much of Time

GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day
To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun, 5
The higher he 's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he 's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer; 10
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
And while ye may, go marry:
For having lost but once your prime, 15
You may for ever tarry.

Last edited:
I might PM you my number and, if this ever happens again, u just forward them to me, ok? hahaha ;D

Apparently all you have to do is wear some nice clothes and walk around Shinjuku! It's a pity they have these anti-smoking laws. Can you imagine it being like the fifties? All these charming young lads with cigarettes in their mouths, dressed in suits and hats, and the ladies! Their hair, and their manner! And yet it sounds so stupid, to be nostalgic for something that never was for me.

I've never even worn a suit casually to walk the streets. Gotta live with the times!

Rejecting a pickup when you are on your way to somewhere is such a normal reflex.
Sometimes a guy tries to pick me up and reject, then i look back and think "damn, i have places to be but i could have passed him my line" or "well, the thing i'm on my way too doesn't require hurrying..."

(Please don't take this as a reason to keep following girls around. But maybe look at her again from a few meter, see if she's staring at you.)

Rejecting a pickup when you are on your way to somewhere is such a normal reflex.
Sometimes a guy tries to pick me up and reject, then i look back and think "damn, i have places to be but i could have passed him my line" or "well, the thing i'm on my way too doesn't require hurrying..."

(Please don't take this as a reason to keep following girls around. But maybe look at her again from a few meter, see if she's staring at you.)

Indeed, with experience, either you take the opportunity at first, or if you make a mistake you manage to go back and rebound somehow.
Best weapons to do it : chill out and smile :)

A lady friend of mine had this happening :
She crossed eyes with a guy in the subway, and they were instantly very attracted to each other. Then they got out at the same station, went in opposite directions :(
Only they stopped, turned around, regrouped and said to each other how attractive they found each other and exchanged contacts.
They met shortly after and passionate sex was on the menu ;)

I would have invited her for a beer/vino....and further"interrogation". Assess the risk/reward profile over a beer :)

I have one sex friend in Tokyo that picked me up by tapping me on the shoulder as I was about to jump in a black cab outside Roppongi Hills .... I didn't have much opportunity to read the situation. It was Friday night outside the then "in" bar, she had the "OL" Friday night look, I was tired and looking for an early night ....but what the hell, you only live twice. Glad I did because we still play around more than 10 years later....and no women have tapped me on the shoulder since.

I would have invited her for a beer/vino....and further"interrogation". Assess the risk/reward profile over a beer :)

I have one sex friend in Tokyo that picked me up by tapping me on the shoulder as I was about to jump in a black cab outside Roppongi Hills .... I didn't have much opportunity to read the situation. It was Friday night outside the then "in" bar, she had the "OL" Friday night look, I was tired and looking for an early night ....but what the hell, you only live twice. Glad I did because we still play around more than 10 years later....and no women have tapped me on the shoulder since.

Sean Connery would be proud :cool:

Reactions: Wwanderer and namae
A lady friend of mine had this happening :
She crossed eyes with a guy in the subway, and they were instantly very attracted to each other. Then they got out at the same station, went in opposite directions :(
Only they stopped, turned around, regrouped and said to each other how attractive they found each other and exchanged contacts.
They met shortly after and passionate sex was on the menu ;)
The problem is you can't always know if that's what their truly feeling. It may be just a daydreaming stare as well.

I have a bit of an envy for you. Nothing like that ever happened to me, but if it would, I would be overjoyed. The resident PUA practitioners must be very handsome types, indeed.

Next time it happens to you, then just embrace the uncertainty and go with the flow. My 2 p.

now i just remembered, that it happens from time to time, that there are women obviously smiling at me... and what do i do? exactly nothing^^

now i just remembered, that it happens from time to time, that there are women obviously smiling at me...

I have it even better: most of the women are laughing at me!

And some are pointing fingers too but that I find a bit too much.

I have it even better: most of the women are laughing at me!

And some are pointing fingers too but that I find a bit too much.

Damn...sorry for you.
Looks like you're the perfect candidate for Sinapse's "Zero to Hero" program.
Seriously, do think a PUA seminar could help ? Have you considered/tried one ?

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeH
Looks like you're the perfect candidate for Sinapse's "Zero to Hero" program.

I read that first as "Singapore's Zero to Hero program" and spend a confusing couple of minutes trying to figure out what that old tv drama series has to do with anything.

One of my regulars just moved to Osaka so I currently do have an slot open in my rotation but as far as I have understood Sinapse is male and I have girls-only policy. Yeah, I know I am a prude but what can you do.

PS. If communications fail it is always the fault of the sender but you could go back to my post and read it again with a funny voice to get a different view ;-).

Reactions: DJV
I read that first as "Singapore's Zero to Hero program" and spend a confusing couple of minutes trying to figure out what that old tv drama series has to do with anything.

One of my regulars just moved to Osaka so I currently do have an slot open in my rotation but as far as I have understood Sinapse is male and I have girls-only policy. Yeah, I know I am a prude but what can you do.

PS. If communications fail it is always the fault of the sender but you could go back to my post and read it again with a funny voice to get a different view ;-).

I'll be sure to watch this Singaporian show then ;)

Reactions: MikeH