Guest viewing is limited

A Japanese pizza mystery

Also, all cheese is "processed". First, the cream is cooked, then and acid is added to make curds, and then depending on the kind of cheese you want to make you do something else to it. Cheese is a processed food product. Cheese wouldn't exist if we didn't' process the cream to get it.
Words can have technical meanings which may be different to your expectation of common usage. In this case "natural cheese" and "processed cheese" are specifically defined by food standard regulations, for instance the US FDA. "Processed food" is typically means "tertiary processed food", also defined by the US FDA

OK fine, That still tells me fuck all about what actual kind of cheese it is. Is it cheddar? Pepper jack? it's advertised as Pizza cheese, but it sure the hell isn't mozzarella of any kind. There are hundreds of kinds of shreddable cheese out there. Branding it as "natural cheese" means NOTHING.

Most “pizza cheese” is meant to be, or often falsely passed off as mozzarella; probably less than a quarter of so-called mozzarella on pizzas in the US are bona fide mozzarella. So, whether it’s made via the so-called natural process or processed way, there seems to be a lot of undocumented ‘mozzarella-like’ cheese for pizzas out there.

There’s also a homegrown processed cheese from St. Louis called Provel. If you want to add other factors like taste or texture, some might throw in a cheddar into the mix"

It’s kinda like the thing with Oaxaca cheese and quesadillas ... you can get the real thing in Mexico but otherwise one might improvise with mozzarella or a blend that includes Monterey Jack and Cheddar. And goes both ways, I heard some chefs have tried using Oaxaca in their pizzas.

There’s a salty sheep’s milk cheese called Pecorino that is like a good authentic Parmesan but more bite... I think it was on top of the mozzarella.

I think less about the type of cheese or whether it is made “natural method” or “processed” and am more concerned about completely fake cheeses ( eg no milk solids is definitely an issue ) using vegetable oils ( i.e. “vegan cheese”) or ones with wood pulp fillers ( if you check the bags of shredded pizza cheese in groceries in Japan, almost all have “cellulose”).

Last edited: