Advantages And Disadvantages Of Your Job

DCSI_Lockers

TAG Member
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be working late into the evening, it's 1:30am now and it looks like I'll be going for another two hours.

So I was wondering, what are the advantages and disadvantages of your jobs?

I work a freelance job media job (being as vague as possible) so I have plenty of both.

Advantages: I can pick and choose my jobs, I can pick my hours, I can work at home a lot of the time.

Disadvantages: word of mouth is brutal, I sometimes end up working into the late hours of the night, sometimes I have to take jobs that I don't want to do. Sometimes my clients are very demanding.

EDIT: Disadvantage: MY FUCKING CAT KEEPS RUNNING AROUND AND JUMPING ON MY COMPUTER!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ShibaKen
Mine are similar, freelance finance related (to be as large as possible) :

Advantage : I choose my jobs, hours, and place where I work. (currently in japan)

Disadvantage : It is very hard to be effective without a routine. The fact that I travel a lot make it hard to have one. My customers are nice, but I'm guilty when I'm speaking on this forum instead of doing my work because of my lack of routine. (procrastination is a consequence of bad routine, not the cause)

Having a routine is way better for doing great job. But as soon as I get a routine, I get bored quickly and need to travel. It is a kind of imbalance coming and going I don't manage to stabilize.

Last edited:
When freelance is going well, it's great. But for me when I'm given a tight deadline it's really stressful!

I'm based in Tokyo and the UK (usually editing from the UK though). The irregular hours are difficult and I'm often stressed and tired!

I'm planning to go freelance in the future as well so this was a good read. Thanks!

I have a 'regular' job... so....

Advantages: Free working locations; I don't have to come to our main office, hardly at all. I just need my PC and a wifi device and I can work from anywhere. (that's bad and good) I could stay at home a lot more, but I try not to work at home to keep 'work at work' and 'home at home'. Overall tangible and fringe benefits are what keep me at my current job. I could probably get a better salary somewhere else, but lose my freedom to move around.

Disadvantages: I can't spend a month or two abroad whenever I want. I still need to have face-to-face meetings to 'press the flesh' from time to time. And, it's difficult to get large pay increases without some significant effort. (EDIT: What I mean by significant effort, I don't mean working harder.. I mean, playing the politics game and battling the 'old-Japanese guard'... anyone who works in an older, established Japanese company knows what I'm talking about...)

Last edited:
I'll bite...

Advantages: Get to meet a wide variety of people and deal with some very interesting situations, somewhat flexible work hours, and as I spend the bulk of my time solving problems I'm in the interesting position of people always being happy to see me when I show up.

Disadvatanges: Frequent short notice callouts for emergencies (that often turn out not to be emergencies but rather a lack of perspective), and due to the nature of my work many of the wide variety of people I deal with are absolute cunts.

Reactions: namae
Let me guess...you work in IT at an investment bank or law firm :)

Tweak a few words at the end of the last sentence and you could be a gynaecologist @Sudsy.

Advantages: work for a large multinational so get to travel internationally and domestically. As a department manager dealing with customers get to meet most of the senior people in the industry in Japan. Chances to work overseas, reason I am here.

Disadvantages: not too many, mostly fixed hours, but no weekends. As a large company, too much bureaucracy to deal with.

Let me guess...you work in IT at an investment bank or law firm :)

Not even close, though I can see the parallels. :)

Tweak a few words at the end of the last sentence and you could be a gynaecologist @Sudsy.

Haha... a career I may have ended up in had I stayed in med school!

Reactions: namae
Paging Dr. @MossBoss, the man with the most awesomest job ever. (y)

I'm in a Japanese IT company.

Advantages : I'm working in the country I've chosed

Disadvantages :
   ・Working to much like many Japanese people. Sometimes there is work coming at the end of the day and have to finish it asap so I have to stay very loooong time. The worst I did was 9h~22H monday to friday (during 3 or 4 month). If emergency came out I stay until midnight sometimes. I also have to work at home because I can't see my company mails during the day ... I would like to know If you have the same problem or It's just me ?
   ・Very difficult to get vacation (I took maybe 5 or 6 days only in 2.5 years)

I'm in a Japanese IT company.

Advantages : I'm working in the country I've chosed

Disadvantages :
   ・Working to much like many Japanese people. Sometimes there is work coming at the end of the day and have to finish it asap so I have to stay very loooong time. The worst I did was 9h~22H monday to friday (during 3 or 4 month). If emergency came out I stay until midnight sometimes. I also have to work at home because I can't see my company mails during the day ... I would like to know If you have the same problem or It's just me ?
   ・Very difficult to get vacation (I took maybe 5 or 6 days only in 2.5 years)

Yeah, unless you're upper management.... That sounds about right, sadly. At least for IT.

Advantages: If nothing is going wrong my job is very easy. I already know how to do it so there wasn't much in the way of training or working my way up needed. Can have lunch whenever I want as long as nothing is going wrong. Spend much of my day or night shift reading forums and playing Agar.io. Requires some skills in demand so the pay is decent and not a constant worry of being replaced over my head. I get to work by myself. I'm kind of an introvert so was never at home in a big office or dealing with daily meetings so I enjoy the peace of just getting stuff done and not dealing with people.

Disadvantages: Long hours that get even longer if there is an issue to fix. Demanding clients calling in when there are problems and having absolutely no patience or concept of waiting. Working by myself means I need to solve all problems by myself unless I can convince the other guy I work on a rotation with to come in and help me at 3 in the morning. It's in general a very boring job and not the most healthy exercise wise.

It's in general a very boring job and not the most healthy exercise wise.

Sounds like one of my client companies' IT manager position. To combat the sloth, their current IT manager brought in a cheap bicycle and a Minoura trainer stand, and set it up in the server room with a stand (I think he just used a sheet music stand) to hold a tablet and he does 3-4 30 minute sessions of light cycling a day while he reads email or reviews documentation.

Reactions: TAG Manager