Guest viewing is limited

Another LINE / J Girl response Question

UnicornHunter

Hissssss!
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed numerous times, but I would like an unbaised opinion.

I have been chatting with a girl in Japan whom I met from one of my previous visits a few years back via LINE. It isn't a "business" account but I also don't believe it is her main LINE account.

I have in the past only sent a message to her once every other month if at all just to see how she was doing (I am not in Japan obviously). She would initiate a message even more rarely, maybe once or twice.

Since this summer of Covid, I started to up the frequency a bit, trying to engage in a "real-time" back and forth conversation. Now she seems unthreatened by me as she has given me her home address, real name and mentioned other personal info such as family members, where she works etc.

To be clear, she has never asked for anything from me (money or gift wise). I have mentioned when I visit Japan again that I would take her out to dinner, someplace fun or even offered to cook Japanese dishes that she likes. She has always responded favorably, even making suggestions.

Now to the analysis. As has been mentioned before, J-girls don't seem to respond quickly to any message sent. I understand that. But I am seeing more of a pattern recently....

I would send a message that is in the form of a question. That message will not be even marked as READ usually before she actually responds which for the past month has been around 8:45pm on Tuesdays. I would quickly respond to her within 10 to 30 seconds with a follow up question. That question will sit there unread for the full week until next Tuesday night.

Lately her responses to have been brief but not negative. Just not encouraging conversation.

Now I am not looking for daily responses, but a quick one week look and out is odd.

I tried to get more info by jokingly replied, "Are you doing ok? You haven't chatted in a week!" With a laughing emoji.

Her response was odd, "These days, I fall asleep easily."

Didn't really answer the question, and my instant follow up question is still sitting unread, probably until next Tuesday.

My assessment is she is just being nice and is just tollerating me. She must have her LINE notifcation off and/ or a second account away from her close friends account.

What is odd is the recent clockwork response recently (this past few months) on Tuesday night at 8:45pm.

Sad as it sounds, she is the only LINE account I could muster from my 5 years visiting Japan.

I like having people (mainly girls) to hang with when visiting.

Other than "Just drop the bitch!" What are your thoughts?

Even though the message isn't read she may have seen it from a notification and left it as a low priority to either answer later or not.

Even girls I see reasonably frequently do this.

I thought of that as well. Just finding it curious that I seem to be becoming the Tuesday 8:45pm quickie....

Gonna have to put it under the heading of "Oh well" ...

Her response time sounds like me on Line. Lol. Where I don’t wanna leave you on read but won’t respond right away because I’d rather respond soon after I “read.” I also tended to wait until a certain day as I’m always working and, like your girl, would respond only one day a week at a certain time of the day where I have more time to put thought into the message to respond in Japanese. Extra mental processing needed to respond in a different language since I’m not used to it. Is she typing in English? Plus my day to day is extremely the same boring things and ping pong back and forth about daily life is hard for me.

I’m gonna go with she read your message in her notifications. And if longer messages, I’m not sure how it works on Android as my Line is on my iOS device, but you can do a half force touch (or long press if no force touch device) on the chat in the app and see the messages without registering a read.

Idk, IMO even long distance normal friendships can be hard. I wouldn’t say drop the girl, just don’t expect ping pong chats. Drop a what’s up once in a while to be sure she’s alive and you’re alive and leave it at that for now. Considering you got personal info from her, she trusts you and you aren’t just a normal oniisan, but you’re probably just low on the priority for chatting with. Especially considering when will she see you again? Damn Covid.

Her response time sounds like me on Line. Lol. Where I don’t wanna leave you on read but won’t respond right away because I’d rather respond soon after I “read.” I also tended to wait until a certain day as I’m always working and, like your girl, would respond only one day a week at a certain time of the day where I have more time to put thought into the message to respond in Japanese. Extra mental processing needed to respond in a different language since I’m not used to it. Is she typing in English? Plus my day to day is extremely the same boring things and ping pong back and forth about daily life is hard for me.

I’m gonna go with she read your message in her notifications. And if longer messages, I’m not sure how it works on Android as my Line is on my iOS device, but you can do a half force touch (or long press if no force touch device) on the chat in the app and see the messages without registering a read.

Idk, IMO even long distance normal friendships can be hard. I wouldn’t say drop the girl, just don’t expect ping pong chats. Drop a what’s up once in a while to be sure she’s alive and you’re alive and leave it at that for now. Considering you got personal info from her, she trusts you and you aren’t just a normal oniisan, but you’re probably just low on the priority for chatting with. Especially considering when will she see you again? Damn Covid.
She doesn't speak English in a conversational level. I also don't speak Japanese on any real level but understand enough to get an accurate translation. I told her to reply in Japanese so she can be more comfortable. I only sent one message where I made a pronoun error (she laughed at my mistake) and 2 instances where I didn't translate the meaning properly before responding.
Since she was not obligated to translate, not much to dwell on as far as responding for her. Once in a while she will attempt a short English response but 98% of the time she uses Nihongo.

Agreed on the rest of the assessment. I am gambling that travel restrictions will open in late spring. Mentioned this to her and she said that was fine. She asked things like my flight and hotel rates I got etc...

Will be adjusting my overall expectations having this to be the new norm.

Well, seems you have now your Tuesday girl locked in. Now to find the other five. :p

Why five and not six? Well, even gods take one day off every week. :D