Any good online English teaching companies to work with?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have been able to find a ton of different online schools, but the problem is there are so many that I have no idea which ones to apply to.

I have applied to quite a number of them and I have gotten many replies but I have noticed that a lot of these online English schools want to video record the Skype video lessons?

I don't mind teaching online, but I'm not really cool with some random school video recording all the lessons I teach because it is kind of creepy. What if they use one of my lessons in some advertisement without my permission?

I have noticed that all the online schools that do the recording are Chinese-run online English schools.

Aside from this, I'm not really finding many that are getting a lot of great reviews. They are all pretty much a mixed bag of positive, negative and neutral reviews on various sites such as Glassdoor.

There are not many actual schools here in Shizuoka City and I will not be able to move to Tokyo until sometime next year. Between then and now, I'm trying to stick it out and make some extra money doing online work, which would also be good because I would continue doing this online work after I move to Tokyo while I'm job hunting there (I will also have interviews with schools in Tokyo lined up of course).

Has anyone on here taught English online with a decent company that pays well and on time and that doesn't video record all your lessons?

I would appreciate any name drops or stories.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
You can't really make a living teaching english online. It's alright if you're looking for some extra work on the weekends. I teached at one of the major sites and got paid 3000 yen for 1 lesson (2 hours of my time not counting prepping) Not really worth it IMO. Most of these companies are very shady. I don't live in Shizuoka so I don't know what it's like over there but try to find a regular job.

Edit: why not start your own english teaching school (eikaiwa) ? You'll earn way more. I'm teaching privates in my free time at 2000yen/hour.

A lot of these companies are likely to record you without telling you.
No English teaching job is going to pay particularly well, unless somehow you end up teaching the son of some oil baron in Saudi or something.

You’re a smart guy,TJB. Why the f are you in a situation where you are working for shady online English schools? Find a job teaching in a school during the day, find private lessons, tend bar at night, sell your body to housewives, etc. I for one also think you might want to stay in Shizuoka. It’s not going to be any easier here in Tokyo. More competition, higher rent, etc.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
You’re a smart guy,TJB. Why the f are you in a situation where you are working for shady online English schools? Find a job teaching in a school during the day, find private lessons, tend bar at night, sell your body to housewives, etc. I for one also think you might want to stay in Shizuoka. It’s not going to be any easier here in Tokyo. More competition, higher rent, etc.

There are almost no schools here and they never seem to be hiring (contacted all of them every season this year and got the same spiel). It seems that the teachers never quit their jobs because they know there are no other options for them if they quit and the schools hold onto the teachers because they fear they will have trouble hiring new ones because there aren't many foreigners here in Shizuoka.

I haven't given up though...far from it. I have been continuously improving on and posting my "English school" advertisements in the city halls. I have online teaching profiles, which only get me students once in a blue moon.

I do have a lot of private students, but a lot of them have been flaky as hell recently. There are a few loyal ones literally keeping me afloat and I thank God for them haha.

As for bar tending, not sure how I would get a job like that. My Japanese isn't that bad but night jobs seem really exclusive as the night crowds are far from the friendliest/most open-minded people in Japanese society. In fact, I have noticed that the people I meet in these night environments haven't even been nice enough to welcome me into their establishments as a mere patron...so I don't see how they are going to suddenly be offering me a job as a bar tender.

Becoming a bar tender here in Shizuoka is most likely much more difficult than in Tokyo. I'm not a huge bar person as well, but it would still be a chill job and I would be able to maybe get some free or discounted alcohol...or not.

One thing that is good about Tokyo is there are way way more people, which means more private students and there are modeling opportunities there which don't exist here in Shizuoka.

Shizuoka is a beautiful and peaceful area, but I'm going to become a beach bum here without a yen to my name if I don't find some decent work soon lol.

Check out Berlitz. They may have some openings. To find those you will probably have to check their website. If you are looking for a side job, they have a variety of contact types.

Check out Berlitz. They may have some openings. To find those you will probably have to check their website. If you are looking for a side job, they have a variety of contact types.

I actually used to work for Berlitz here in Shizuoka city for about a year, but my boss and his boss were as strict as Nazi SS officers. I was a hard worker, but I just felt annoyed by how it seemed my good points were almost never mentioned and my faults were constantly under fire.

It wasn't just me, but I would constantly overhear most of the other teachers complaining about the job, the boss, their schedule, their lack of hours, their required training, etc.

I can try working for them again in the future in another city but just not here in Shizuoka city.

It’s a job, not your life.

On line instruction has pretty low pay from what I hear. You might be better off in the gig economy. Have you checked into elance, fiver or other freelance sites?

You should start a TOEFL or TOEIC or EILTs prep service. Get some books on how to teach this. Spend 200 buck on Amazon. Go to universities and hand out flyers. Build a website. Make graphs of your students improvement and what scores they got and colleges they got into. If you are going to be a fucking English teacher, at least do it right for fucks’ sake. And please stop your willy wally silly namby pamby bitchy complaining and indecision. Take your thumb out and go out and Just Do It! Bitch!

Aside from this, I'm not really finding many that are getting a lot of great reviews. They are all pretty much a mixed bag of positive, negative and neutral reviews on various sites such as Glassdoor.

Glassdoor is ridiculous, please do not base any decisions on what you read there. 80% of the positive reviews are made up by the marketing / recruitment people at the company and 99% of the negative reviews are disgruntled former employees that got fired or managed out for being shit and wanted to blame someone else for their own shit-ness. They don't validate the reviews in any way.

Glassdoor is ridiculous, please do not base any decisions on what you read there. 80% of the positive reviews are made up by the marketing / recruitment people at the company and 99% of the negative reviews are disgruntled former employees that got fired or managed out for being shit and wanted to blame someone else for their own shit-ness. They don't validate the reviews in any way.
And now Glassdoor is owned by Recruit, so it’s bound to get even worse. The funniest thing about it are the “third party consultants” that companies hire to “boost their ratings” on Glassdoor. Glass door probably recommends them and gets a percentage. These companies hire Indian BPOs to write massive numbers of fake reviews. “Yes sir, I am working in marketing in Scranton office for several many years now and my boss is good fellow and I am very very much happy with condition here”. Yea right. Fake as fuck! It’s a good racket though, I bet Glassdoor makes a lot of money. Probably very profitable. And totally fraudulent.

It’s a job, not your life.

On line instruction has pretty low pay from what I hear. You might be better off in the gig economy. Have you checked into elance, fiver or other freelance sites?

No, but you bet I will start doing that tonight.

I hope they offer various freelance gigs to people with some experience rather than hiring only experts exclusively...

Actually, while I mostly agree with you, I also know there are some disgruntled English teachers on there that were were treated terribly by shady private English schools.

Most of these shady schools are in China, so most people working in Japan aren't going to be as aware of them.

I used to work for Webb English in Shanghai and the people running the school were so cheap that they refused to buy more printer ink for their printers...and yet they required all teachers to provide their students with printed materials every lesson...pretty retarded yes?

Wait, it gets worse. So the students were complaining about the teachers to the staff and the teachers were complaining to the staff as well because the lack of printer ink.

Instead of the staff explaining to the students that there was a lack of printed materials and ink because they are cheapasses, they fired teachers over all the students' complaints...they threatened to fire me too for the same reason but I stood up to them firmly.

They gave me an ultimatum to either transfer to a school in the bumfuck countryside or be terminated...for not providing the required printed materials that I couldn't print because they didn't buy any ink...what the fuck seriously.

So I fucked them over big time. I agreed to take the job in the countryside then I got them to agree to pay me my salary in advance to afford the apartment change...then I just left that entire area early in the morning before my lessons because fuck them for treating me and other teachers in such a way.

My stunt actually caused them to have to close down their new location in that small city due to me being the only non-Chinese English teacher there so they were pumping up the community with promises of a new white face in town only to be let down when I skipped town haha!

I also posted a negative review about them on Glassdoor many years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: monalisaoverdrive
https://eigox.jp/info_recruit/

Just stumbled upon this site. (I have no experience with the site)

<Payment>

600 yen / Lesson (25mins) * Paid monthly to your PayPal account.

* As Trainees, new tutors will receive 300 yen/ lesson for the first 10 lessons.
* You must write a lesson review within 24 hours after the lesson. It will take you a few minutes.
* Payment is made monthly to your PayPal account.

[ NOTE ]

We are planing to upgrade the entire Eigox system in between late 2018 and early 2019. In the new system,
tutors will have the right to decide their pay rates, between 600 - 1200 yen, based on their work performance
such as the number of complete lessons, fans and repeat students etc.

https://eigox.jp/info_recruit/

Just stumbled upon this site. (I have no experience with the site)

<Payment>

600 yen / Lesson (25mins) * Paid monthly to your PayPal account.

* As Trainees, new tutors will receive 300 yen/ lesson for the first 10 lessons.
* You must write a lesson review within 24 hours after the lesson. It will take you a few minutes.
* Payment is made monthly to your PayPal account.

[ NOTE ]

We are planing to upgrade the entire Eigox system in between late 2018 and early 2019. In the new system,
tutors will have the right to decide their pay rates, between 600 - 1200 yen, based on their work performance
such as the number of complete lessons, fans and repeat students etc.

Yes, I know about Eigox. I applied to them about a year ago, but they said that they weren't hiring at the time. I can always try re-applying now. Thanks for the link.

Off topic, but who is the woman in your avatar...damn she has some big ass titties lol.

Yeah... working at an eikaiwa is a much better idea but I get the appeal of online teaching. Unfortunately, as some have already said, I can't imagine making a whole lot of money working for an online teaching company. At my eikaiwa I'm making about 350000 a month working five days a week because I have a lot of students.

Yes, I know about Eigox. I applied to them about a year ago, but they said that they weren't hiring at the time. I can always try re-applying now. Thanks for the link.

Off topic, but who is the woman in your avatar...damn she has some big ass titties lol.

Harumi Nemoto

Yeah... working at an eikaiwa is a much better idea but I get the appeal of online teaching. Unfortunately, as some have already said, I can't imagine making a whole lot of money working for an online teaching company. At my eikaiwa I'm making about 350000 a month working five days a week because I have a lot of students.

That's a lot. What prefecture you at?

Kanto. But I've worked there for three years. When I started I was making about 250000 a month. Some of my students only take me so my schedule is like 98% booked at the end of each month (we get paid by the lesson).

Tokyo I assume? That's a very nice salary for a teacher. You teach at eikaiwa or uni?

Tokyo I assume? That's a very nice salary for a teacher. You teach at eikaiwa or uni?

Yeah, in Tokyo. I teach at an eikaiwa. About 8-9 hours a day. Pretty normal. And I usually don't teach weekends either. At my job you get paid by the lesson.. so some of the teachers don't do so well (even after many years) but others get very popular.

Yeah, in Tokyo. I teach at an eikaiwa. About 8-9 hours a day. Pretty normal. And I usually don't teach weekends either. At my job you get paid by the lesson.. so some of the teachers don't do so well (even after many years) but others get very popular.

I realize that a lot of this information can be estimated with google searches, but I'm curious just how many eikaiwa, private schools, etc there are for English teachers in Tokyo?

The reason I ask on here is because here in Shizuoka, there are literally only a few dozen listed online but of course if I just start riding my bike through random streets in town, I will come across some small eikaiwa or private schools for children that don't have a website online.

Is Tokyo like this as well? Do you often notice various types of English schools that you have never heard of while you are out and about?

Since you are popular have you ever thought about opening your own school? Or rent a place and do private lessons? I assume if you do grouplessons and steal your current students you'll be making more money?

Since you are popular have you ever thought about opening your own school? Or rent a place and do private lessons? I assume if you do grouplessons and steal your current students you'll be making more money?

Yes, I'm in the process of opening my own school. I finished putting together a decent looking website with html, no template bs. I also just finished creating a new ad for my school, which is much better than the other ad which I'm going to post in various locations, one which is a cafe where I'm friends with one of the staff that works there.

I know a lot of people make their own schools, but it will take time to turn this school into a full time job as I accumulate students.

Since there are a ton of people in Tokyo...is it really easy to gather up a lot of private English students rather quickly?

Here in Shizuoka, that is definitely not the case, but I get new private students now and then.

Are there a lot of public places in Tokyo (City Hall, Cultural Exchange Centers, etc) where you can post your English teaching ads for free or low cost?

Do you have your own school? Is this something a lot of English teachers are doing these days in Tokyo as well?

I suppose you're right... but it would require a lot of planning. To be honest it's not a bad idea at all. I've stolen a few students from my school already.