Guest viewing is limited

Any "Premium Friday" executors?

One of my clients had a big push to try to get people to leave at 8PM. They set the lights to turn off automatically but someone would just turn them back on.

That's sad...
But at the same time, they got too much on their plate?

I was a dedicated staff to one of my previous firms, my bosses were Western guys, they stated me as "I worked so slow", as I had to stay until 20:00 for sometimes. Well, to be honest, some urgent tasks came up around 17:00. Had to make hotel booking for a couple of days later that week!! or else I handled quite many tasks..

I don't like people, just stay in the office for no such reasons. Just counting on overtime rate pay to get extra paid. Such a bad drugs, really...

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
my bosses were Western guys, they stated me as "I worked so slow", as I had to stay until 20:00 for sometimes.

Not to criticize you but most Japanese people outside manufacturing are extremely slow & inefficient at work. At least from a western perspective. But the thing is Japanese society doesn't really differentiate between work and "real life" in the way the West does. I work to get paid, not for any shakai purpose. Part of why I keep getting consulting work is I do much more in the same time than company staff can ever do even with them staying late.

EDIT: Also from what I've seen most of that "5PM urgent" stuff can be put off a day. I tell people that they should have thought of it earlier and that they should be more ishokeme about thinking of scheduling.

Just counting on overtime rate pay to get extra paid.

Most of them aren't getting OT pay. HR will classify many people as "managers" because management can't get OT pay. I used to drink with an HR manager who told me he even classified his cleaning grew as managers for that reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuriko
Not to criticize you but most Japanese people outside manufacturing are extremely slow & inefficient at work. At least from a western perspective. But the thing is Japanese society doesn't really differentiate between work and "real life" in the way the West does. I work to get paid, not for any shakai purpose. Part of why I keep getting consulting work is I do much more in the same time than company staff can ever do even with them staying late.

EDIT: Also from what I've seen most of that "5PM urgent" stuff can be put off a day. I tell people that they should have thought of it earlier and that they should be more ishokeme about thinking of scheduling.

Most of them aren't getting OT pay. HR will classify many people as "managers" because management can't get OT pay. I used to drink with an HR manager who told me he even classified his cleaning grew as managers for that reason.

Right. It's very interesting to think about these things. Thanks for pros and cons out there!

Reactions: TheScientist
The South China Morning Post is basically a proxy voice for the Chinese government. I don't trust them to even report the weather in Tokyo.
Hahaha, even they mentioned our PM "meditate" stuff sounds fishy already. ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ

Reactions: TheScientist
There is so much mismanagement and long meaningless meetings that it's impossible to finish on time. My friend who I was supposed to hang out with for a drink on Friday finished work at 6 but had to go to a meeting that was supposed to last no more than 30 minutes ended up lasting 3 hours. On top of that the train got delayed and even and when it did get working again didn't go to the last stop because it was past midnight so he ended up taking a taxi but that was another hour and a half in the cold and rain because everyone was waiting for taxis as well

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
As far as I know, not a single one of our client companies implemented Premium Friday. None of my friends' or acquaintances' companies either.

Harebrained idea...

My company did, so 3pm Friday I was leaving the office, along with 1 other (educated overseas) colleague.

The rest of the people completely ignored it, even though the bosses told them they can go home, and we don't have anything special to do they still prefer to stay in the office.

Don't blame the government, blame the fact that even given the opportunity people will still stay in the office because going home to their family is a sign of weakness.