Guest viewing is limited

Any Takarazuka fans?

RIDER 00

TAG Member
Reaction score
Anyone a fan of or often go to Takarazuka performances?
You know, the famous all women troupe that has venues in Tokyo and Kyoto?

Some girls I want to get with love it, so I am trying to get tickets but no luck.
It's way too popular with women for some reason.

Can't help but get a weird lesbian vibe from the group, but that cloud has always been over them.
The fans can get quite hard core at times. Waiting for hours outside the theater to see their favorite actors,
and then only cheering them in silence.

It's funny when I walk by Hibiya station sometimes and see that.

Yeah, I find it a bit creepy but it must be fun to watch at least once, I guess. The stories seem completely cheesy though (but hey you don't go to Takarazuka to watch some Brecht or Beckett!)

I met one of the whole groups in the late 1990s back when I worked in public relations. I found out afterward I had made two big mistakes. First, when I split the huge group into two smaller groups to manage their movement better, I unknowingly split the two biggest stars into different groups. Next, I was too kind to the most junior members which horrified them and pissed off the stars. Takarazuka, I learned, is SUPER rank conscious almost like the mafia. It started to dawn on me when we went outside and it had started raining, and the four biggest stars just stood there looking impatient until four junior girls clamored over to them to hold umbrellas over them while they, the juniors, got soaked by the rain.

After they left, I was told by my Japanese counterparts I had probably bought those junior girls some future abuse for having been kind to them in front of the stars.

If anyone cares, I seem to recall the top cast "male" girl is #1, followed by top cast female, then #2 "male, #2 female, etc.

Takarazuka, I learned, is SUPER rank conscious almost like the mafia. It started to dawn on me when we went outside and it had started raining, and the four biggest stars just stood there looking impatient until four junior girls clamored over to them to hold umbrellas over them while they, the juniors, got soaked by the rain.
Yes, thats definitely some stuff you can see the mafia do.
They are easy to recognize outside because how crazy the other ones treat the top ones.

I met one of the whole groups in the late 1990s back when I worked in public relations. I found out afterward I had made two big mistakes. First, when I split the huge group into two smaller groups to manage their movement better, I unknowingly split the two biggest stars into different groups. Next, I was too kind to the most junior members which horrified them and pissed off the stars. Takarazuka, I learned, is SUPER rank conscious almost like the mafia. It started to dawn on me when we went outside and it had started raining, and the four biggest stars just stood there looking impatient until four junior girls clamored over to them to hold umbrellas over them while they, the juniors, got soaked by the rain.

After they left, I was told by my Japanese counterparts I had probably bought those junior girls some future abuse for having been kind to them in front of the stars.

If anyone cares, I seem to recall the top cast "male" girl is #1, followed by top cast female, then #2 "male, #2 female, etc.

It's a bit like in a group of dogs or monkeys , the way you describe it! :D

Yes, thats definitely some stuff you can see the mafia do.
They are easy to recognize outside because how crazy the other ones treat the top ones.
I saw some on the street the other day, the two in jogging suits were bowing non-stop to the guy in the suit as they were backing away from him, never turning their backs. I've also seen about 100 at the beach lined up at the edge of the road waiting to bow when a boss pulled up.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Only reason why I know of this acting troupe is because they have done Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney and Naruto. So I have been keeping a close watch to see when they will do any other geek plays.

Reactions: Not Even Dave
I would go for "Versailles No Bara" , a powerful , sophisticated and multi-layered story close to the Heroes' journeys of old Greek tragedies with various hermetic hints about the Rosicrucians. Maybe.
IMG_1145.JPG

Reactions: Simonka
I stay quite a lot at the imperial and see quite often hundreds of women waiting to give out cards or perhaps get autographs. I have walked on the street with a few hundred women on either side waiting for the leading lady. It feels a bit overwhelming but I have to admit none of them was remotely interested in seeing me. I did walk past the leading lady once after her shows. Got caught staring at her, she looked at me and moved on... I was sort of hoping for a smile, which never happened... interesting experience, nice to see so many women interested in their shows...

I stay quite a lot at the imperial and see quite often hundreds of women waiting to give out cards or perhaps get autographs. I have walked on the street with a few hundred women on either side waiting for the leading lady. It feels a bit overwhelming but I have to admit none of them was remotely interested in seeing me. I did walk past the leading lady once after her shows. Got caught staring at her, she looked at me and moved on... I was sort of hoping for a smile, which never happened... interesting experience, nice to see so many women interested in their shows...

Yeah, happened to me a few times when I was in the area , creepy huh?
I wanted to shout something idiotic like "No ! don't worship false idols! Jesus is your only savior" or equivalent

Reactions: MikeH
Rider 00 you probably know this already but I think they have memorabilia store in Chanter building across the theatre... maybe some of that stuff if not the real tickets!

Yeah, happened to me a few times when I was in the area , creepy huh?
I wanted to shout something idiotic like "No ! don't worship false idols! Jesus is your only savior" or equivalent
Their fan following seems to be completely female... amazing motivation sitting there in the cold...

I despise Takarazuka. As I was changing channels recently, I came across some footage of the troupe performing something "Egyptian-ish." Took me about a minute to work out that it was a dumbed-down Aida. All of the pastiche with none of the quality. The performers have skills but they're using them to serve up the worst kind of dross in a declamatory style that went out of fashion about 100 years ago. I'd rather watch The Bangles' "Walk Like An Egyptian," on an endless loop for the duration of that performance than allow my brain cells to atrophy on the meagre stimulation that the Takarazuka shit provides.
OTOH, I have a sneaking suspicion that Rock Za takes inspiration from Takarazuka. And I like Rock Za. Rock Za draws on the same kind of middle-brow cultural references, with an all female cast, over-the-top "acting," and gimicky staging ... with tits and pussy.
BTW - Have you seen "Sayonara" with Marlon Brando?