Anyone interested in an iPhone 11?

Does Apple Pay work well in Japan? Can you use it overseas too? Can you just mash the phone on a subway IC reader thing like a Suica card and it'll pay it automatically?
Works fine. SUICA is supposed to work on any version of iPhone from 7 and up if I remember correctly. You cannot use Apple Pay as SUICA, you have to actually setup a SUICA [transit] card on the phone to use in Japan.
Other retail places accept Apple Pay as well as all of the the other common electronic payment services. (Alipay and Papay have gained a lot of traction. QuicPay, Apple Pay, SUICA (or other IC types from other regions that are all unified now) - were common place in the past few years.

Reactions: Acid Burn
Works fine. SUICA is supposed to work on any version of iPhone from 7 and up if I remember correctly. You cannot use Apple Pay as SUICA, you have to actually setup a SUICA [transit] card on the phone to use in Japan.

They did just add a "transit" option to apple pay in iOS 13. I haven't had a chance to research it fully yet but it seems that it's supposed to let you use apple pay for supported transit systems. Must be enabled separately and you pick a default apple pay card as your form of payment. (I've turned it on but have no transit near me to test with.)

If the above doesn't turn out to work with SUICA I'm gonna look up how to use it on my phone this next trip. Hopefully it works for short term visitors. One less thing to remember to keep up with when I leave the hotel.

Other retail places accept Apple Pay as well as all of the the other common electronic payment services.
Do they actually understand it? The trouble I have with Apple Pay in the US is that even though it's been out for years most retail employees look at you like your crazy if you try to use it. If it actually works they look at you like maybe you just hacked their register and they aren't sure if they should call the police. Maybe it's just the area I'm in but I pretty much quit trying it because of this reaction. Also it's limited to like $25 or less a lot of places which makes it useless most of the time.

Reactions: Acid Burn
Or just stream the show/movie. Lol.

I paid for Netflix.

Here's the problem:

I want to watch the new Peaky Blinders season. Wait.. it's not on Netflix yet. Even though Episode 5 already aired on BBC.

I just discovered there's a spin-off series to Sons of Anarchy: 'The Mayans' again.. not on Netflix..

Well doesn't matter I'll just watch something else. I feel like re-watching The Sopranos and The Wire.. Oh both not on Netflix.

I'm not a Disney nor a Marvel fan but if I was it means I would have to get Disney+ aswell because they all removed (or going to be removed) from Netflix.

Streaming is great but if you want to watch something specific it's often not enough.

I paid for Netflix.

Here's the problem:

I want to watch the new Peaky Blinders season. Wait.. it's not on Netflix yet. Even though Episode 5 already aired on BBC.

I just discovered there's a spin-off series to Sons of Anarchy: 'The Mayans' again.. not on Netflix..

Well doesn't matter I'll just watch something else. I feel like re-watching The Sopranos and The Wire.. Oh both not on Netflix.

I'm not a Disney nor a Marvel fan but if I was it means I would have to get Disney+ aswell because they all removed (or going to be removed) from Netflix.

Streaming is great but if you want to watch something specific it's often not enough.

Once again, you're not in Japan, you've never been to Japan, you post nothing factual related to Japan.... why are you here?

Reactions: MikeH
Once again, you're not in Japan, you've never been to Japan, you post nothing factual related to Japan.... why are you here?

Your assumption, and the truth, dine at totally separate tables.

Torrenting your favourite show/movie in 1080p and instantly play the mkv file?
Or just stream the show/movie. Lol.
I paid for Netflix.
it's not on Netflix yet
not on Netflix..
Streaming is great but if you want to watch something specific it's often not enough
Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. Lol. When I half jokingly argued that the solution to the issue of torrenting and converting being a hassle is streaming, I didn’t mean streaming via a legit paid streaming service like Netflix. But I digress, as merits of streaming vs torrenting can be a whole other argument and thread in itself.

In any case, back on topic, launch day has happened and I saw lines at Apple stores for I guess those who didn’t pre-order?

Anybody here end up getting there’s yet?

I preordered but mine still has an estimated delivery date of October 4-11. Guess I didn’t order fast enough. Still, I don’t care enough to wait in line. I’ll wait till October rather than queue for hours.

I pre-ordered but I have no idea when it will show up. I'm not in any rush but I always have fun playing with new toys when I get them!

Well mine got here early yesterday. Took most of the afternoon getting everything setup and then overnight for everything to fully download from backups and sync up properly. So today will be the first day of really testing it. Initial impressions are that it seems "snappier" than my iPhone X in terms of opening apps and things. I'm interested in trying out the dual sim eSim feature but that will probably have to wait until I come to Japan at the end of November.

Gonna have to go out and try the camera features as that should be the real improvement.

Don't like the AC adapter or charging cable it came with. The 11 pro has new larger adapter with higher output for faster charging but it's a freaking USB-C adapter and the charging cable it came with is USB-C to lighting. I don't have anything against USB-C exactly but I just wish they would be consistent. Still at least I can plug this one into my work supplied USB-C only mac without an adapter. Guess I'll just keep the cable with that.

I paid for Netflix.

Here's the problem:

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

There is plenty of good Netflix content to watch. Yes, most of it is original stuff not aired on TV, but there is still plenty to watch.

Does Apple Pay work well in Japan? Can you use it overseas too? Can you just mash the phone on a subway IC reader thing like a Suica card and it'll pay it automatically?

ApplePay works fine, though I just use SUICA as it's generally more accepted.. SUICA you can't download from any store but the Japanese App Store, so you need a Japanese App Store account. You may not be able to download anything without payment info, so what I did (since I don't have a japan credit card) is I got a ¥1,000 iTunes card so I could download the "free app" (this may have changed). You can use the SUICA from the Japanese iTunes store with your US Apple Pay account, even though Apple Store staff will tell you that you can't. I know you can cause that is how I add funds to it. I don't think foreign iPhones have SUICA integration. I think you have to have bought your phone in Japan. Though that also could have changed. I don't know.

SUICA you can't download from any store but the Japanese App Store
It can be downloaded from other locations other than Japan. My primary Apple account is a U.S. account and the Suica app is available there.

I don't think foreign iPhones have SUICA integration. I think you have to have bought your phone in Japan. Though that also could have changed. I don't know.
There's no Japan specific iPhone model now (since XR?). I just had a business visitor from the U.S. with an iPhone 8 and he was able to get a SUICA card on his phone as well as the Suica app. (I don't know if he had any trouble, wasn't actually with him when he set it up.)

It can be downloaded from other locations other than Japan. My primary Apple account is a U.S. account and the Suica app is available there.

There's no Japan specific iPhone model now (since X?). I just had a business visitor from the U.S. with an iPhone 8 and he was able to get a SUICA card on his phone as well as the Suica app. (I don't know if he had any trouble, wasn't actually with him when he set it up.)

Awesome, that was not the case when I first got the App. I suspect that was done with 2020 in mind.

There's no Japan specific iPhone model now (since XR?). I just had a business visitor from the U.S. with an iPhone 8 and he was able to get a SUICA card on his phone as well as the Suica app. (I don't know if he had any trouble, wasn't actually with him when he set it up.)
There is a trick to it. You can get the SUICA card on any phone for any country but in order to actually ADD the card you have to go to the settings and change the region to Japan. Then you can go to wallet and add a new SUICA card or transfer in your existing physical card. You can then set the phone back to your home region and the card will stay in the wallet and work just fine. I figured all this out when it came up earlier in the thread before my 11 pro arrived.

One thing I found out after tranferring to the new phone is that the wallet doesn't automatically transfer the SUICA card. You have to DELETE the card on the old phone (so it's important to do that before you wipe the phone), when you delete it will then backup the card to icloud, you can then set your region to Japan again on the new phone, go to add a suica card, and it will let you restore your old card from iCloud. Then you can set region back to wherever.

You don't need the SUICA app at all to do any of this.

Also surprisingly when I transferred my physical card to the phone I got back my 500yen deposit for the card even though it said I could throw it away.

Reactions: AnotherTag
I got my 11 now and I like it. I had a 6 so this thing is a big jump up.

I'll try and take Suica slow. I haven't tried Apple Pay yet but it looks convenient if I can use it.

I got my 11 now and I like it. I had a 6 so this thing is a big jump up.

I'll try and take Suica slow. I haven't tried Apple Pay yet but it looks convenient if I can use it.

It is convenient and dangerous. I don't use it so much anymore because I tend to buy more than I should and it shows on the credit card statement.

It is convenient and dangerous. I don't use it so much anymore because I tend to buy more than I should and it shows on the credit card statement.
Even worse with the new Apple Credit card in the US. You get more cashback when you use apple pay instead of the physical card. I am liking it though.

There are other differences that made it worth trying for me. For instance, the cashback happens daily and comes directly to your apple cash account. You can then move it over to your bank or whatever instantly. Admittedly most days it's only a few bucks but it what I really like is that when the card bill comes due I can pay with apple cash first and then make up the difference from my other bank account. It was as close as Apple could get Goldman Sachs to just discounting every purchase. If you use it like that however it effectively becomes a 1-3% discount on everything. (Depending on Vendor and payment method. Apple it trying to partner with people to give 3% back for apple pay. So far it's only themselves and uber.

The other selling point was that they have zero fees. I mean none at all. No late fees, no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, absolutely none. Very few other cards with cash back rewards have no annual fee and I don't know of any other card that has zero fees. In the US at least. Frankly though I'm hoping that competition rapidly makes their program seem terrible compared to what the other options are. Banks are going to hate Apple for this. Consumers may embrace them though.