Anyone interested in an iPhone 11?

Understood and I have one such card for that very reason. It's a travel card though not a cash back.

I agree. I pay mine off monthly. I'm just saying that there a no fees of any type. That is a first as far as I'm aware.

I understand and when I first heard about it I thought I had no incentive to get it either. I only got it because getting the 3% back on this iphone purchase sounded good. But after getting it, using it, and researching things, I think it's actually the best fit for me at the moment. That obviously won't be true of everyone. And I still think it's a market disruptor.

I also forgot that they claim it has the lowest interest rates of any card but they are still so high that it's a non-factor. Pay the card off monthly.

Do they actually understand it? The trouble I have with Apple Pay in the US is that even though it's been out for years most retail employees look at you like your crazy if you try to use it. If it actually works they look at you like maybe you just hacked their register and they aren't sure if they should call the police. Maybe it's just the area I'm in but I pretty much quit trying it because of this reaction. Also it's limited to like $25 or less a lot of places which makes it useless most of the time.
Interestingly, in my area after Apple Card
happened, more retailers started taking Apple Pay and other contactless payments. And no it’s not only that I’ve been looking for them now. I’ve had my Apple Pay set up with a Visa for the longest time now and always look out for it in my areas. But now I’ve noticed swapped/updated card swipe boxes for this (not just seeing Square readers here).
The other selling point was that they have zero fees... no foreign transaction fees,
No foreign transaction fees is nice. Only one of my cards had no foreign transaction fees but it’s not a mastercard/visa which meant that card when I would try to use on trips was not accepted everywhere. I could’ve got another card brand to fix this issue but I didn’t want or need another credit card. Upon getting the apple mastercard, I ended up dc’ing one of my other cards. I don’t need nor want tons of credit cards. Lol.

Apple Card being a master card will allow me to take less cash. P4p is in cash of course, but that just means I have more carried cash for p4p. Sure in Japan not everywhere takes cc and Japan is a cash society blah blah blah. Major chains I go to and large purchases at various stores I frequent make having a major company no foreign transaction fee card nice.

At the end of the day Apple Card is just another credit card, albeit with the best tech integration I’ve seen. The apps for my other cards i find rather clumsy.

Regarding iPhone 11 pro itself, I just got mine. The camera is no joke. Or cameras I should say. Night mode especially... basically giving you an open shutter mode. And more specifically, an open shutter mode with imaging processing that makes it such that you can hand hold an up to 10sec extended exposure shot. With my real camera I could only ever handhold mayyyyybe 1sec and that was trying with breath held and braced against something. All you photogs who like extended exposures at night rejoice. Of course I can with my real camera burst shoot a night scene and stack the photos or just set up a tripod for extended exposures but I don’t always carry my real camera anymore. Let alone with my tripod. This opens up a lot of ‘just get the shot’ opportunities that would have otherwise been lost. I haven’t tried doing light trails with it yet though.

I find cellular reception is better. When most of my day I walk the line of no reception and barely 1 bar where a TAG thread with only text may or may not load, and if it does, it takes a while, the reception difference is noticeable.

I think Apple Card is nice that you can generate those one time numbers from the app for online shopping. Sadly BoA is killing their SafePass due to Adobe Flash and all, and leaving Citi as the last game in town until Apple Card comes along?

Otherwise, other high end cards from Chase or Amex probably provide better bang for their bonuses if you do take advantage of their points/miles and transfer to airlines/hotels instead of the pure cash rebates Apple Card have. Most of the cards can be added to Apple Pay now so not much of an advantage using Apple Card.

I used to love watching Apple product events and couldn't wait to get the newest iPhone they announced. These days I honestly don't feel like there is enough innovation between say an iPhone 6 and the just announced iPhone 11 to justify and upgrade. I just ordered a new iPhone 11 not because I want one, but because my SB has an iPhone SE with a bad battery and cracked screen and wants an X. So I get the 11 and she gets my X.

So, anyone else even interested in this thing for it's own features?

I'm pretty locked into the Apple ecosystem at present but are there ANY phones that can be said to be innovative like the iPhone used to be that might be worth checking out?

Respect. I once gave my previous IPhone to a SB too.
It was An Iphone5 :D
Not very much tech-savvy, this Frenchy is

I'm interested in trying out the dual sim eSim feature but that will probably have to wait until I come to Japan at the end of November.
Sorry, im a tech idiot.
Does dual sim mean incan have two simcards?
That would be great. Instead of having to fiddle around with the tiny micro sims they use I can just put both my local (japan) and overseas sim in the phone and just leave thrm both there?

Sorry, im a tech idiot.
Does dual sim mean incan have two simcards?
That would be great. Instead of having to fiddle around with the tiny micro sims they use I can just put both my local (japan) and overseas sim in the phone and just leave thrm both there?
Yes, but with one provider you’ll need to be using an esim. Unless you have the Chinese version, then you can have 2 physical sims (instead of just one esim with one physical).

Reactions: Durg50
I think Apple Card is nice that you can generate those one time numbers from the app for online shopping. Sadly BoA is killing their SafePass due to Adobe Flash and all, and leaving Citi as the last game in town until Apple Card comes along?

Otherwise, other high end cards from Chase or Amex probably provide better bang for their bonuses if you do take advantage of their points/miles and transfer to airlines/hotels instead of the pure cash rebates Apple Card have. Most of the cards can be added to Apple Pay now so not much of an advantage using Apple Card.
It's not really one time number. Just that it's a dedicated number for online use or anywhere else the card must be manually entered that is not the same as the card number of the physical card or the id of the apple pay "card". You can request a new number from the app but I don't think they want you doing it for every transaction. Not to mention that would make it very difficult to use for autopay on bills.

Finally got a chance to use the camera a bit on the 11 pro. Gotta say that I am really impressed with the pictures and the automatic night mode stuff. We started out in a room with afternoon sun but as it got dark and only the light from single floor lamp was in the room the picture kept turning out great even without the flash. None of the graininess you usually get in those situations. The image stabilization hardware/algorithms seems to be stepped up quite a bit too because even shots that I made without taking time to really steady the phone came out clear.

Wide angle mode is a game changer too. I didn't really think it would be that useful but the first time I switched to it and was able to take in the whole scene without having to back up against the wall I changed my mind. It's going to end up being a really useful feature.

Not sure it's worth the upgrade for most people if you already have one of the X phones but if you are on something older and you use your phone as a point and shoot camera often then it's a good upgrade. You could get great photos on the older ones but the 11 pro makes it a whole lot easier to do so based on my session last night.

Last edited: