April's Hell - Recruits & More

TAG Manager

Executive Leadership
Reaction score
Sorry that I haven't been very active over the past week or two. I'm handling [TAG] support requests and urgent items as they come up but I have a number of pending items still to open and look at. Sorry if you are waiting for me... I'll get to you as soon as I can.

Between new recruits and actual work to be done, my plate is full. I guess the economy must be in some sort of decent shape given the number of people we took onboard this year. They are like little robots, all dressed alike and using high-level manners, haha. I'll get to cut a few from the herd and bring them onto my team. Now to fight other managers for them! :ROFLMAO:

Sorry that I haven't been very active over the past week or two. I'm handling [TAG] support requests and urgent items as they come up but I have a number of pending items still to open and look at. Sorry if you are waiting for me... I'll get to you as soon as I can.

Between new recruits and actual work to be done, my plate is full. I guess the economy must be in some sort of decent shape given the number of people we took onboard this year. They are like little robots, all dressed alike and using high-level manners, haha. I'll get to cut a few from the herd and bring them onto my team. Now to fight other managers for them! :ROFLMAO:
Robots without any useful programming in my experience. I always dreaded new recruits in IT with my clients, many of these kids don't even know how to use a computer much less do any IT work.

Robots without any useful programming in my experience.
That's usually how we like them... like a clean whiteboard. We find it easier to impress upon them the way we do things. Kind of the same reason we don't do much in the way of hiring people in a mid-career situation... it does happen, just depends on what they bring to the table. (They do have relative degrees for the field we're in, I can't speak to IT related positions.)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
That's usually how we like them... like a clean whiteboard. We find it easier to impress upon them the way we do things. Kind of the same reason we don't do much in the way of hiring people in a mid-career situation... it does happen, just depends on what they bring to the table. (They do have relative degrees for the field we're in, I can't speak to IT related positions.)
All that sounds like a traditional Japanese company.

Yup. It is.
And it works... at least for this industry.
(I never had a total understanding until I was moved further up the management chain, now it makes more sense from this vantage point.)

Yup. It is.
And it works... at least for this industry.
(I never had a total understanding until I was moved further up the management chain, now it makes more sense from this vantage point.)
It works until it doesn't. Industries which are not really affected by changes in the marketplace or cost cutting pressure. It works until something has to change and then it becomes a brick wall to getting things done.

Oh I see, Well umm. uh. In my experience it depends on what kind of environment you have i.e. if you can support learning in the office. Honestly though they take a long time to learn. And after that they could go away teach them and then they change companies :(

And after that they could go away teach them and then they change companies
Some leave after a few years, but most stay. The company I work offers stability... The non-performers eventually get weeded out and to date, I've kicked 3 people off of my team and only one actually left the company. Others found places in other division where they fit in better... frankly, I think they didn't like having a stinky gaijin as their boss. :p

Traditional domestic company. You don't see many Tier 1's that cater solely to the Japanese market.

Haha, I feel ya, the last month has been busy as hell for me as well, haven't even had much time to post or browse here. Maybe everyone is getting all the work distributed before everyone takes time before summer.

Reactions: TAG Manager
How do you mean "Tier 1" and how do you figure things are different in such environments?
Tier 1's in Japan serve the international export market and are part of what make Japan, Inc. great. Domestic throwbacks like Tagmin's are tied into cross-equity sharing agreements with Japanese banking combines, love 'dem fresh grads because they're willing to work back-breaking hours for shit pay, and couldn't compete their way out of a paper bag. :poop:

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Tier 1's in Japan serve the international export market and are part of what make Japan, Inc. great. Domestic throwbacks like Tagmin's are tied into cross-equity sharing agreements with Japanese banking combines, love 'dem fresh grads because they're willing to work back-breaking hours for shit pay, and couldn't compete their way out of a paper bag. :poop:
Just wanted to make sure I understood your meaning. In this case I do disagree that the Tier 1's are any different regarding the new grads.

Just wanted to make sure I understood your meaning. In this case I do disagree that the Tier 1's are any different regarding the new grads.
So you're saying Tier 1's in Japan hire solely new grads and avoid anyone over the age of 25?

So you're saying Tier 1's in Japan hire solely new grads and avoid anyone over the age of 25?
"So you're saying" usually shows a person has nothing and is trying to put words in the other person's mouth. Just like in this case. To imply the other person said something they didn't say.

"So you're saying" usually shows a person has nothing and is trying to put words in the other person's mouth. Just like in this case. To imply the other person said something they didn't say.

.....lol.

At the higher levels, there are exchanges in management. But, anyone at a department manager or lower, generally are all new grads and not mid-career higher.
I don't know what you consider a Tier 1 company, but we're definitely in the top 5 of our particular food chain.

Most of our top management started as new grads, only a few are outsiders.

I don't know what you consider a Tier 1 company
A Tier 1 hires the best in the world with annual profits most Japanese domestics couldn't earn in 20 years.

A Tier 1 hires the best in the world with annual profits most Japanese domestics couldn't earn in 20 years.

Hope Google isn't a Tier 1 then.... they just hired a friend of mine who's a complete idiot, nice guy, but dumb as a rock. I have another friend from college working on one of the Chrome teams in CA, he's not an idiot. lol...

Hope Google isn't a Tier 1 then.... they just hired a friend of mine who's a complete idiot, nice guy, but dumb as a rock. I have another friend from college working on one of the Chrome teams in CA, he's not an idiot. lol...
lol, sounds like GOOG Japan isn't calibrated properly.