As a foreigner, is it possible to be politically involved in anyway in Japan?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
I don't mean just voting or being a career politician but I mean if I have a really good social/political idea that I truly believe would help the country of Japan, what can I do? I don't want to just make youtube videos or stand outside political/government buildings holding random signs like a nutcase. Is there a way to write or type up a professional letter addressing a social/political issue to someone high up that would actually take the time to read over it?

I don't want to say what the idea is or share my political views to avoid some retarded political flame war on here. I just want to be able to share this idea I have with at least a few key people in Japan that could possibly get the word out and take the idea into consideration.

I know that if the idea is good enough, they won't write it off just because it is coming from a foreigner. Anyway, has anyone on here ever written letters like this before?

I know that if the idea is good enough, they won't write it off just because it is coming from a foreigner.

I think you are correct here. They will disregard this kind of letters with the same rigour regardless who wrote it; Japanese or foreigner.

As a foreigner you are explicitly not allowed to perform any political activity or work for any political party.

Said that, every `choume` `丁目` has local politicians. And you will see them sometimes giving speeches on the train station. You can approach to them a talk to them. But, at the same time, you cannot vote for them, so the amount of time they will offer you will be probably limited.

I'm surprised you can't vote. When I had my permanent residence in Tokyo I got approached quite often by those politicians in front of train stations. Although my Japanese isn't bad I wouldn't think they assumed that I have been naturalized. So maybe they have just been happy to talk with someone or they just didn't know themselves.

I'm surprised you can't vote. When I had my permanent residence in Tokyo I got approached quite often by those politicians in front of train stations. Although my Japanese isn't bad I wouldn't think they assumed that I have been naturalized. So maybe they have just been happy to talk with someone or they just didn't know themselves.

They should know though. It hasn't even been that long when even Japanese living outside of Japan couldn't vote.

They should know though. It hasn't even been that long when even Japanese living outside of Japan couldn't vote.

I don't know much about those elections, but it seemed to me like there was an abundance of candidates and knowing the inheritance system in Japanese politics, most of them probably never had any official position. But that was just my uninformed impression ;)

Can someone clarify what activity is disallowed besides voting? When I was a student I had gaijin profs that were on advisory committees.

Not sure if approaching a run of the mill politician is a good idea. Try professors, political groups, business groups...

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
As far as voting, only national level voting is explicitly barred for non-citizens. Prefectural and municipal level elections are not off limits, and a number of municipalities do allow foreign permanent residents to vote in local elections. No prefectures do as far as I know, but they COULD if they wanted to, as per a supreme court decision some years ago.

Other than that, non-citizens cannot hold public office in Japan, and cannot make financial donations to political parties (more correctly, the political parties are not permitted to accept the donations). There is no other legal restriction on political activity for foreign nationals residing in Japan, and the constitution even guarantees your right to engage in some amount of political activity.

There is no bar on a foreign national working for a political party, and I have two European acquaintances who work for the LDP. Volunteer work is legally grey, as it may be seen as a donation, but it's not out and out illegal, and I know a few people who volunteer for New Komeito events.

and cannot make financial donations to political parties (more correctly, the political parties are not permitted to accept the donations). There is no other legal restriction on political activity for foreign nationals residing in Japan, and the constitution even guarantees your right to engage in some amount of political activity.

There must be some political organisations that can take your money as there is even a section about that in the tax guide for foreigners. Have no idea what those could be as my favourite charity to donate is myself.

Political activity probably falls to the range of things you can do if nobody notices. If you get too public and/or annoying get prepared for problems when renewing your visa.

There must be some political organisations that can take your money as there is even a section about that in the tax guide for foreigners. Have no idea what those could be as my favourite charity to donate is myself.

Political activity probably falls to the range of things you can do if nobody notices. If you get too public and/or annoying get prepared for problems when renewing your visa.

You can donate to NGOs, just not parties that are running for or holding office. :)

As far as voting, only national level voting is explicitly barred for non-citizens. Prefectural and municipal level elections are not off limits, and a number of municipalities do allow foreign permanent residents to vote in local elections. No prefectures do as far as I know, but they COULD if they wanted to, as per a supreme court decision some years ago.

Other than that, non-citizens cannot hold public office in Japan, and cannot make financial donations to political parties (more correctly, the political parties are not permitted to accept the donations). There is no other legal restriction on political activity for foreign nationals residing in Japan, and the constitution even guarantees your right to engage in some amount of political activity.

There is no bar on a foreign national working for a political party, and I have two European acquaintances who work for the LDP. Volunteer work is legally grey, as it may be seen as a donation, but it's not out and out illegal, and I know a few people who volunteer for New Komeito events.

Yes, this. This is what I had in mind and it is good news to hear that it is possible. Cool, thanks man.

OK, I know better, but your ability to hook a fish is legendary here on TAG, so here goes;

What idea do you have?

Reactions: MikeH
OK, I know better, but your ability to hook a fish is legendary here on TAG, so here goes;

What idea do you have?

The reason I don't want to share my idea is because it would start a political flame war 100% guaranteed. After reading the few political "discussions" on here in the past, I realized my post would end up just like those threads lol.

The reason I don't want to share my idea is because it would start a political flame war 100% guaranteed. After reading the few political "discussions" on here in the past, I realized my post would end up just like those threads lol.

I respect your restraint, surprised to be honest, impressed, as well.

Just was curious.

My advice, based on a wee bit of experience in the States, is to volunteer at your local level, with whatever politician you might support or one that represents your area. Take your time, build rapport and respect. You could help on non-political level, if you are not allowed to become politically involved as a condition of your visa. Lots of local communities are including guides for foreigners and I imagine they would welcome your help.

I guess what I am really saying is that anyone can have an idea. To be taken seriously, folks need to see that you care enough to become involved in helping your community.

Last edited:
I respect your restraint, surprised to be honest, impressed, as well.

Just was curious.

My advice, based on a wee bit of experience in the States, is to volunteer at your local level, with whatever politician you might support or one that represents your area. Take your time, build rapport and respect. You could help on non-political level, if you are not allowed to become politically involved as a condition of your visa. Lots of local communities are including guides for foreigners and I imagine they would welcome your help.

I guess what I am really saying is that anyone can have an idea. To be taken seriously, folks need to see that you care enough to become involved in helping your community.

I have experience being politically involved myself when I was in the US. It was more a really local community level, but with sound people and ideas. I agree with you that it makes more sense to be realistic and start at the bottom aka locally.

As for moving up the political ladder, I would worry about inevitable visa issues down the road haha.

I have experience being politically involved myself when I was in the US. It was more a really local community level, but with sound people and ideas. I agree with you that it makes more sense to be realistic and start at the bottom aka locally.

As for moving up the political ladder, I would worry about inevitable visa issues down the road haha.

I did a bit of research regarding the Japanese Constitution and laws regarding the question of non-citizens voting. There was quite a bit of conflicting information.

For example, one apparently, reputable site erroneously states:

The right to participate in politics include the right to vote in elections and the right to run in elections. The Constitution of Japan does not provide Non-Japanese with these rights, however. While foreign nationals cannot participate in national government activity as a Japanese citizen, they may be allowed to vote in local elections, such as mayoral elections closely linked with community life. Although everyone can become a public servant, Non-Japanese people are not allowed to hold an executive position.

https://livejapan.com/en/article/a0000239/

However, that stance is directly contradicted by:

In its ruling, the Supreme Court said that the constitutional definition of “residents” stipulated in Article 93 applies to Japanese citizens, overruling a complaint filed by ethnic Korean residents against Osaka’s Election Committee for not registering them on the local electoral roll.

But the judges, writing an obiter dictum included in the decision, said the Constitution does not deny long-term foreign residents the right to vote in local elections if enshrined in legislation.

Momochi argues that such an opinion was not included in the ruling itself and, as such, doesn’t have any judicial power.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...mpaign-trail-foreign-right-vote/#.WUUJu2iGNuE

Still, even if you can't vote, at this point, you can still help your community. That's the Japanese way, at least how I see it.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Another funny thing is there are a lot of Chinese and Koreans in high places in politics and government in Japan. They always have Japanese names, both first and last to hide their identities of course lol. I realize that some are married to Japanese spouses and that is the reason for their last name being Japanese, but some are a little more sneaky. Aside from marriage, I have not yet researched how they change their first name to a Japanese name...I doubt that is a legal thing they do is it? Do they just pretend to be Japanese and hope they can pass off as one based on being Asian and having a fake Japanese first name? lol

Another funny thing is there are a lot of Chinese and Koreans in high places in politics and government in Japan. They always have Japanese names, both first and last to hide their identities of course lol. I realize that some are married to Japanese spouses and that is the reason for their last name being Japanese, but some are a little more sneaky. Aside from marriage, I have not yet researched how they change their first name to a Japanese name...I doubt that is a legal thing they do is it? Do they just pretend to be Japanese and hope they can pass off as one based on being Asian and having a fake Japanese first name? lol
The people in question will have Japanese citizenship, their ethnic background is not the point.

Reactions: cabbie and MikeH
The people in question will have Japanese citizenship, their ethnic background is not the point.

Yes, but I thought even if a non-Japanese has citizenship, they still can't fully participate at all levels?

Yes, but I thought even if a non-Japanese has citizenship, they still can't fully participate at all levels?

If they have citizenship, they are not non-Japanese.

There's a DPJ representative named Marutei Tsurunen who held a Diet seat for years and is (afaik) still the DPJ's director of international affairs. He's a Finn, ethnically, and naturalised.

If they have citizenship, they are not non-Japanese.

There's a DPJ representative named Marutei Tsurunen who held a Diet seat for years and is (afaik) still the DPJ's director of international affairs. He's a Finn, ethnically, and naturalised.

There is also this american guy who became japanese and spends his life trashing the japanese society, politics etc... david something , i forgot

There is also this american guy who became japanese and spends his life trashing the japanese society, politics etc... david something , i forgot

David Arudou is probably who you are thinking about.

While I disagree with him bashing on Japanese people and society his whole life, I understand what set him on this path.

He was repeatedly rejected from a public onsen simply because he is a foreigner, then the same onsen crossed the line by saying his more "Asian looking" child and Japanese wife can enter but not him and his "foreign looking" child.

I was trying to remember his name but couldn't for the life of me.

There is also this american guy who became japanese and spends his life trashing the japanese society, politics etc

"he who shall not be named"

I understand what set him on this path.

Yeah, being an asshole by nature.

Reactions: Sudsy and MikeH
While I disagree with him bashing on Japanese people and society his whole life, I understand what set him on this path.

I followed his writings in the end of 90's and while his cause was a noble one I didn't agree with his methods that much.

Overall my feeling was he was a deeply sad and angry person and I always wondered why he decided to stay living in Japan when it clearly made him miserable.