Guest viewing is limited

Asking for advice about place to live

nnnniko

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello. I will be moving to either MusashiKosugi or Jiyugaoka.

I would like to ask for advice of which area would be better for living? I value convenience and relaxing atmosphere.

Or if you have any other recommendations for somewhere close by, it would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Depends also what kind of place you are looking for. House or mansion?

Jiyuugaoka is the more crowded and packed of these places. Not relaxing at all at least in my opinion. Musashikosugi used to be the sleazy old station but has cleaned up considerably the last years.

Still they are just a couple of stations from each other so the difference might not be that big. Musashikosugi gives you easier access to the Tamagawa river side if jogging or cycling is your thing.

I would like to ask for advice of which area would be better for living?
I would recommend that you ask somewhere more suitable like the Japan Guide forums - we're philandering reprobates, not housing agents. You're not going to get the best advice on this topic here.

Yes I am an unapologetic reprobate. That being said, my 2 yen is for Jiyugaoka. Musashi Kosugi… yikes.

If I had to choose between those two I would take the new buildings in Musashikosugi anytime.

But I am happy I don't have to choose between just those.

Reactions: nnnniko
I once lived on the Nambu Line. Would never ever, ever never do that again. But I suppose there are folks who might enjoy getting deep into the blue collar industrial side of near-Tokyo. I am satisfied with the time I already did it. :)

Yeah the nanbu line is hell on earth. I like both jiyugaoka and musashi kosugi and musashi kosugi has recently got slightly swanky. But I wouldn't want to live at either place.

Just reminded me of that tower apartment block in Musashi Kosugi that got flooded with human feces during a typhoon. Better check the building history before you take the plunge!

Just reminded me of that tower apartment block in Musashi Kosugi that got flooded with human feces during a typhoon. Better check the building history before you take the plunge!
That was a flood caused by poor drainage. There were power outages as the underground electric lines were damaged. It’s my understanding that some of those towers are still repairing the electrical damage from that typhoon. Not only that, but the station was flooded too.

The other thing about that s is that the morning trains are packed! It’s way too crowded in the mornings.

Last edited:
Reactions: nnnniko
The other thing about that s is that the morning trains are packed! It’s way too crowded in the mornings.

Depends which way you are going. Yokohama bound trains in that line are OKish even in the morning.

Though if I was going to Yokohama I would live in the opposite side of Yokohama where the same money gives you much nicer place.

Depends which way you are going. Yokohama bound trains in that line are OKish even in the morning.

Though if I was going to Yokohama I would live in the opposite side of Yokohama where the same money gives you much nicer place.
I calculated that he was going to go into Tokyo instead of Yokohama because he also mentioned Jiyugaoka.

I could be wrong MikeH, but more than likely we are both right.

I would recommend that you ask somewhere more suitable like the Japan Guide forums - we're philandering reprobates, not housing agents. You're not going to get the best advice on this topic here.
I'm not a philandering reprobate.

I am a rebirthing, monogamous mayfly. I fall deeply in love, have mad mid-air sex, die shortly after, and birth again to continue the pattern.
Also, this mayfly says to take Musashi-Kosugi if you want to have my life cycle.

A Jiyugaoka address will impress the locals more than Musashikosugi. It's one of the posh places to live, but a "posh place" in Tokyo means you can see a bunch of 80 sq meters houses standing side by side, each of which costs more than Y100 million. Jiyugaoka is far from large parks. If you like running or walking in open spaces, Musashikosugi is better.

I would just choose soshigaya. Easy to get to Tokyo (Shinjuku or shibuya, by train or bus - or, if you like walking as much as I do, walking), walking distance to shimokitazawa and Kyoudo, a great park nearby, and the ultraman shoutengai which has a disproportionately high number of good restaurants and bars.

Reactions: Ken1988
I'm so thankful to live in a less crowded area. It warms my heart to see people wanting to live in the trendy, overcrowded areas.
I cannot stand Shimokitazawa for example.

When I was looking for a house to buy, I was just told that it's good idea to keep a Tokyo address in one of the central wards, but avoid Adachi at all costs (I did).
I wound up with a place in a central ward and 10-20 minutes from just about everything (except airports). It's a slightly upscale neighborhood, so it's very quiet and clean.

I have PTSD from trying to drive through Setagaya. o_O:LOL:

Ha ha. Yeah don't have a car if you live in soshigaya!

And I'm the same. The places I like to hang out are not the places I like to live!

Reactions: TAG Manager
The places I like to hang out are not the places I like to live!
Well... yeah, I don't think I'd want to wake up in a happening bar every morning either.

I'd prefer to wake up in one every evening.
Then there's me, who probably could live going from love hotel to love hotel fucking and painting DH girls all day long.
Literally all these shops on speed dial.

Reactions: MikeH and Sudsy
Yeah if you have a car then Jiyuugaoka is not a place for you. I mean even when my goddess Ai-chan was working there I always took the train.

Funny thing once when I was going to meet her an age old Japanese lady (and we are talking between 80 and vampire here) stopped me at the station and asked me for directions.

I mean you can be whiter than just fallen snow but if you look like a man on a mission even the locals ask you for advice. :D

an age old Japanese lady (and we are talking between 80 and vampire here) stopped me at the station and asked me for directions.
With those specs, you should have sent her to Jan Jan with a letter of recommendation.

Reactions: MikeH and Sudsy
jiyugaoka hands down

i like that little brick road with all the done-up shops and benches.... also theres a good Vietnamese restaurant around there..

musashikosugi,,, its meh