Guest viewing is limited

Audio / HiFi shopping in Tokyo

Lenny S

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi all

My other hobby is 2-channel audio, particularly vinyl. I visit Tokyo a couple times per year and am going to make time this time to head to Akihabara and go hunting for hifi accessories, vinyl etc.

Any other audio aficionados here? Looking for suggestions on Japan only makes for cartridges, interconnects (yup, cables can run into the $000s), perhaps decent used CD/DACs, rare tubes for my amp.... and the better shops to try.

My set up is quite modest today:

•Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 turntable with 9cc Evolution carbon tonearm
•Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo lll LOMC cart
•Tavish Design 6SL7 phono stage (might look for some new, old stock Tung Sol tubes to replace the reissues)
•Jolida 3502 Integrated Amp with 6550 output tubes, lots of internal upgrades to capacitors, resistors,
diodes. Like with my phono stage - could look to roll different tubes such as some EL34s as a warmer complement to the tighter 6550s, NOS 6550 or even KT88s / KT150s. Nice thing about the 3502 is switchable circuits for different tube bias
•Fritz 251 MTM speakers - custom built, handmade and only served today by some Blue Jean Cable Belden or Canare 4s11 cable. So speaker cable could be on the shopping list too

I also need to add a permanent CD/DAC - today I move the player from the living room back and forth. Maybe a nice Accuphase could be found in a used store...

Oh, and of course, will look for some Japan only vinyl. Love the packaging and extras from good quality Japan pressings....

Look forward to suggestions and any general audio chat.

LS

Reactions: TAG Manager
BIC Camera or Yodobashi or Labi has small DAC & used selection. Also if you want good 2nd stuff, go to Nakano.
Somewhere in that mall full of Otaku stuff, Sai Baba, used watch shop, there's a shop if I'm not mistaken named Fujiya Avic.
Last time I remember there's many stuff, but I was only looking for Hi-Res portable player.

Hi, there is a map and list of audio shops in Akihabara. The 3rd column in the list, the items listed read (from the top) カテゴリー (category (heading)), キット(Kits), 真空管 (tubes), パーツ(parts),トランス(transformers), シャーシ (chassis),スピーカー (speakers),測定器 (measuring instruments),販売店 (shops (in other categories)). You can guess what those shops are like, tracing their web addresses in the list. You might have known those shops already, but just in case.

http://www.shinkukanaudio.com/pdf/shopー1.pdf

There are several vinyl shops in Jinbocho, south-west of Akihabara, about 20 minutes' walk away. I've been to one of them a few times in the past just because it's a floor up from a famous adult bookshop :p
http://www.fuji-recordsha.co.jp

That said, for vinyl, you should go to Shibuya, and some hip places along the western periphery of central Tokyo like Shimokitazawa, Nakano, Koenji and Nishiogikubo. Happy hunting!

Bic Camera in Yurakucho has an audiophile section, with some of the systems set up in their own rooms.

For used, there used to be a great little shop near Shinjuku East Exit - but now it's a Starbucks. :(

There is a recycle shop called "Hard-off" some of the larger stores have a lot of vintage hifi gear. There's one in Akihabara, not sure what they have there. I know the one in Kashiwa has a lot of audio gear.

There is a recycle shop called "Hard-off" some of the larger stores have a lot of vintage hifi gear. There's one in Akihabara, not sure what they have there. I know the one in Kashiwa has a lot of audio gear.

The Akihabara Hard-off is the worst I have ever visited. Full of broken (junk) computer and game stuff only. The best Hard-offs are located outside Tokyo in the bigger countryside cities. Unfortunately you cannot combine hobbies as those cities don't usually offer any services for the foreign hard-ons.

Reactions: Ken1988 and hibikii
There are lots of very cool audio shops in Akiba. Here is a good reference site. http://www.tnt-audio.com/tours/akihabara_e.html
You should concentrate on the Japanese made stuff like the KONDO amps with hand-wound silver wire transformers. Very cool. The Brit, Euro, and US equipment is all more expensive here than other countries, but you might find some deals on used stuff if you look hard and are confident to buy used equipment. They will have a good selection though. You also have to worry about voltage differences. Singapore is great for selection and prices. One more thing to look at if you are interested is the incredible selection of high end portable audio. 500k yen earbuds and such.

My 2 Cents: The prices in Japan are way more than you can find in the States - assuming that's where you are from. I left my tube gear in the States when I moved here thinking I would be able to find local stuff, used, new... but it was all priced too rich for my blood. I had Audio Research MK-III Amp with Dynaco pre-am and Tuner with Accustatic 4 panel speakers with active cross over bi amped to separate lower freq. to dedicated 18" woofers.... Now I use my smartphone.. :arghh:
As others have advised, you may find what you want in Akihabara...
Here is a link to a place in USA which I always had good experience with http://www.audioclassics.com/
I understand that the search is half the fun and getting a great deal is even better..
Good luck on your search...

Reactions: rb25
Walked past this establishment in Akihabara today, might be up your alley.

Dynamic Audio 5555

3 Chome-1-18 Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tōkyō-to 101-0021

Attachments

• 13A67157-AC09-475D-BDCA-93F0A304F747.png
    13A67157-AC09-475D-BDCA-93F0A304F747.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 186
  • E381B005-EBA9-438E-B8E6-67B582DFD11C.png
    E381B005-EBA9-438E-B8E6-67B582DFD11C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
The Akihabara Hard-off is the worst I have ever visited. Full of broken (junk) computer and game stuff only. The best Hard-offs are located outside Tokyo in the bigger countryside cities. Unfortunately you cannot combine hobbies as those cities don't usually offer any services for the foreign hard-ons.
You might have the wrong place or floor. The audio Hardoff is on the second floor and has a lot of gear. Most of it is middle range standard Japanese brands and very old. Some great bargains if you are looking for exactly that gear and know what it is, eg 1000 watt PA amps. Big selection of speakers.

Reactions: MikeH
You might have the wrong place or floor.

Might be. I think they might have also expanded the shop later as I went there just when they had first opened it.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Brilliant suggestions and insights. I am going to look for something like an Accuphase CD player - will have to step down from 115-120 to 100V. And probably some used but high quality cables, and then drool over those amps and cartridges