Guest viewing is limited

Average salary for IT guys who are under 30?

brian911

TAG Member
Reaction score
Lately i've been asking some of my Japanese friends who are working in IT fields what they think about < 4m yen salary annually for someone who's under 30.
Some said: it's quite low, some said: it's absolutely ok.
Your thoughts?

PS: I'm 27 and also works in IT fields in Tokyo. My current salary is pretty low, i think. 1 year ago, they offered me 260000 yen per month (.net is around 210000) plus bonus 2 months of salary each year.
I'm looking for a new job now, actually the new company said they could give me 4.6m yen annually. Obviously i was rather happy with this number but still confused if that's low or just so-so.

One of the things i love about most japanese job ads is that they list the salary in the job post. A quick look at any job board should answer your question.

Good news is it sounds like you have assimilated to the country well and they treat you just like you were an average Japanese guy.

That's the end of the good news unfortunately. You should use your gaijin super powers and find something else. Even the 4.6 million is a salary you can get by driving a bus.

Your current salary is very normal for an entry level employee in IT. Considering you're only in your late twenties you're not doing bad at all, and I'm happy to hear that you've received a better offer. You can usually get promotion by switching to a different company. Unless you work at a global company the salary range is similar. Global companies are better in terms of working conditions and salaries. Don't let anyone demoralize you. Wish you the best!

The term IT is broad. Are you an engineer, programmer, web developer?
Usually new companies give you a figure based on your current salary so you should say what you want not what you get.

To give you and idea, I'm a 46 yo designer/developer and a monthly 350 000 reaches my bank account.
But it's because I've decided I didn't want to hop from one company to another and I value the work environment over the salary. I wouldn't spend 8 hours a day with assholes even if it meant a much better salary .

Anyway, it all depends on your way of life.
I don't use that much money since I don't have to pay in order to get layed with my young and cute girls :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: brian911
One of the things i love about most japanese job ads is that they list the salary in the job post. A quick look at any job board should answer your question.

Thanks. Personally i think it's unreliable cause they will decided the number based on skills.
Besides, i'd love to hear opinions from you guys here.

Good news is it sounds like you have assimilated to the country well and they treat you just like you were an average Japanese guy.

That's the end of the good news unfortunately. You should use your gaijin super powers and find something else. Even the 4.6 million is a salary you can get by driving a bus.

What would be the "ideal" number for 27 years old guy with 2 years of experiences in Cloud computing/Solution Architect?

Your current salary is very normal for an entry level employee in IT. Considering you're only in your late twenties you're not doing bad at all, and I'm happy to hear that you've received a better offer. You can usually get promotion by switching to a different company. Unless you work at a global company the salary range is similar. Global companies are better in terms of working conditions and salaries. Don't let anyone demoralize you. Wish you the best!

Thanks Simonka. You're very sweet.

The term IT is broad. Are you an engineer, programmer, web developer?
Usually new companies give you a figure based on your current salary so you should say what you want not what you get.

I'm actually a Solution Cloud Architect.

To give you and idea, I'm a 46 yo designer/developer and a monthly 350 000 reaches my bank account.
But it's because I've decided I didn't want to hop from one company to another and I value the work environment over the salary. I wouldn't spend 8 hours a day with assholes even if it meant a much better salary .

Wise words. It's pretty good at my current company but that doesn't mean there's no other good company with better salary our there so i'm just trying :)

Reactions: MikeH and Simonka
I think it is quite good with 4600000/year with your age and your experience. I wonder the 260000/month is your base monthly not include your overtime or include. And how about your stay, I mean your mansion pay, your company support or not.
If you want to increase your salary, find another company and take a good offer.

I think it is quite good with 4600000/year with your age and your experience. I wonder the 260000/month is your base monthly not include your overtime or include. And how about your stay, I mean your mansion pay, your company support or not.
If you want to increase your salary, find another company and take a good offer.

260k include 35 or 40 hours overtime each month (don't remember this). I almost don't do any overtime and still get 260k. In case i want to get a little more money, i need to work > 40 hours overtime and that's not what i want.
My company doesn't support apartment stay. Only transportation fee and 10000 yen each month for my certificate.

do you mean if you do not overtime, you still receive 210k ( 260k ?) . After pay tax, you just get under 210 k. Oh no.
Your company do not support your stay. I think you should strongly make a offer with them. Because almost japanese company support apartment stay.
I’m so sorry. I think your salary is almost the same with a 23-24 years old japanese salary man or contract salary man.

do you mean if you do not overtime, you still receive 210k ( 260k ?) . After pay tax, you just get under 210 k. Oh no.
Your company do not support your stay. I think you should strongly make a offer with them. Because almost japanese company support apartment stay.
I’m so sorry. I think your salary is almost the same with a 23-24 years old japanese salary man or contract salary man.

Yup, no matter how much i work, i still get 260 (210 after tax, health insurance,etc) + 10 for my cert (that doesn't make any difference though)
I asked some of my co-workers about this apartment support. Seems like i'm not the only one so think it's my company's policy.
That's why i need to find a new job.

Reactions: Yuriko
Yup, no matter how much i work, i still get 260 (210 after tax, health insurance,etc) + 10 for my cert (that doesn't make any difference though)
I asked some of my co-workers about this apartment support. Seems like i'm not the only one so think it's my company's policy.
That's why i need to find a new job.

You should be able to get better deal here in Tokyo
for more bigger companies. I was with that amount by diffeient job and find it hard back then. It was a small venture foreign owned company. I'm happier now. Big organization can be competitive, but better situation. Please keep looking. Think as you got a bright future ahead!

You should be able to get better deal here in Tokyo
for more bigger companies. I was with that amount by diffeient job and find it hard back then. It was a small venture foreign owned company. I'm happier now. Big organization can be competitive, but better situation. Please keep looking. Think as you got a bright future ahead!

Yeah, i would definitely keep looking for a better chance.
Thanks for your kind words.

Reactions: Yuriko
What would be the "ideal" number for 27 years old guy with 2 years of experiences in Cloud computing/Solution Architect?

You are thinking too Japanese again. :p Who cares how old you are, it should be about what you can bring to the company instead.

That's why I said you need to use your gaijin superpowers. If you speak fluent Urdu and Icelandic I guarantee there is not many jobs available that use both in Tokyo. But when there is one, oh boy, did you get what you ask for. :eek::D

Then again if you know just as much as any Japanese 27 years old, then yeah, that is what they offer you. But if you are good at what you do with two years of track record you should aim to at least 6 millions per year.

That's totally realistic based on the situation today. And if you get them to chip in with the rent that's actually better for both you and them. Pay just 10% of it by yourself and it's legally tax free money.

You are thinking too Japanese again. :p Who cares how old you are, it should be about what you can bring to the company instead.

That's why I said you need to use your gaijin superpowers. If you speak fluent Urdu and Icelandic I guarantee there is not many jobs available that use both in Tokyo. But when there is one, oh boy, did you get what you ask for. :eek::D

Then again if you know just as much as any Japanese 27 years old, then yeah, that is what they offer you. But if you are good at what you do with two years of track record you should aim to at least 6 millions per year.

That's totally realistic based on the situation today. And if you get them to chip in with the rent that's actually better for both you and them. Pay just 10% of it by yourself and it's legally tax free money.

Damn, you're right. I think I was japanized more or less :D
Maybe i need to take some courses about negotiation. :p
Anyway, each company has their own "salary ranking" or sth like that. I guess there's no chance to ask for 6m while their 事業部長 only earns 7m :rolleyes:

You are right. 6m a year-unless you are supervisor or something like that. Btw, let prepare an impress CV for a new job interview. It is difficult but I think there are many job in IT, but maybe you need more time.

Anyway, each company has their own "salary ranking" or sth like that. I guess there's no chance to ask for 6m while their 事業部長 only earns 7m :rolleyes:

Well, you just have to show them you'll be more important to the company that he is. :p

A million years ago when I was working in dev in Tokyo I actually made more money than my direct boss. Though that is not much to brag about, I also did around twice the hours he was doing and those were directly billed to the customer.

But last time when I was negotiating with a big Japanese company the HR guy in the last meeting threw me the book too. Explaining how much is the average salary of their people with the same rank I was getting. I basically told him I am not interested as I am not average. I might have used more polite and not that explicit words but that was the implied meaning. :D

He went still along until my coming-direct boss interrupted him and told he will take care of it. He actually ended offering me more than I asked. Though he did make me work for that money later. :eek::p

2 years experience is nothing. You're better off putting effort into professional development, eg study Japanese (JLPT N3), get CCNA etc then start job hunting in two or three years time.

2 years experience is nothing. You're better off putting effort into professional development, eg study Japanese (JLPT N3), get CCNA etc then start job hunting in two or three years time.

My Japanese is not perfect but i think it's good enough for working environment. ~N1
I also hold some international certificates, not CCNA but cloud platform and still try my best to broaden my knowledge.
But as you said, 2 years is nothing. I also believe in "nothing beats experience" principal. That's why i'm asking everyone for their opinions/advices.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
N1 is more than enough, especially in a technical role. I'd suggest a network cert, one half of whatever the new CCNA exam is - everyone should have a proper understanding of networks and internetworking.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland