Guest viewing is limited

Average salary for IT guys who are under 30?

and they get extra bonus points if they have been paid.

What about those of us who have been offered but refused? :p

Usually the term "has to pay" is used anyway only by those guys who think they are better than others. Not by guys like me who know they are better than others. :p

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Lately i've been asking some of my Japanese friends who are working in IT fields what they think about < 4m yen salary annually for someone who's under 30.
Some said: it's quite low, some said: it's absolutely ok.
Your thoughts?

PS: I'm 27 and also works in IT fields in Tokyo. My current salary is pretty low, i think. 1 year ago, they offered me 260000 yen per month (.net is around 210000) plus bonus 2 months of salary each year.
I'm looking for a new job now, actually the new company said they could give me 4.6m yen annually. Obviously i was rather happy with this number but still confused if that's low or just so-so.

I know that I'm coming to this really late but there is no such thing as generic "IT". This covers a whole load of different things.

For example, a 2nd/3rd Line IT Support Analyst then 4 - 4.5 million would probably not be unusual.

If you have strong Oracle database experience (especially as an architect or developer) then you could be talking about 8 - 12 million a year.

If you have good R, Python, Matlab or SAS skills then you could easily be talking 6 - 9 million a year

So it really all depends on what your skills actually are.

I once had a guy telling me he was coming to Japan in a few months and asked if I thought he could possibly produce music for people.
I told him I don't see why not.
A month before he came he started to message me again asking "What music equipment do I need to produce music"?
I don't think I responded after that.

I started to ask for way more details from people asking advice online. I also noted that IT is very broad.

I once had a guy telling me he was coming to Japan in a few months and asked if I thought he could possibly produce music for people.
I told him I don't see why not.
A month before he came he started to message me again asking "What music equipment do I need to produce music"?
I don't think I responded after that.

Wow. Just wow.

30 y.o. IT guy in my company (we only have 2 here), make 850万 per year

Nah, that's right about what I'd guess at 30, assuming that's right after the second job change.
I don’t think so. It is hard to say not knowing his skill set, but on the average ( admittedly meaningless) 850 at 30 is high. If he is bilingual, has some relevant IT certs like the higher level Cisco and Oracle and if he has experience in implementing erp systems like SAP etc. then maybe some companies, especially in the banking sector, would pay that, but most guys at 30 are around 650. There are always exceptions.

At 31 I started a new job at 650, but within 18 months I was up to 850, and that was 20 years ago.

At 31 I started a new job at 650, but within 18 months I was up to 850, and that was 20 years ago.

and there has been 0% inflation since then so salaries would be about the same.

also in the late 90s companies were throwing money at 'IT guys'. You had 'technical project managers' with very little tech skill getting 10-15 million p.a. at Hartford Life and their ilk. Their main skill seemed to be they were white and could tell people what to do. A lot of them are still here, bitching about the fact they are 'highly qualified and experienced' but cannot get jobs and its all someone else fault (recruiters, racism, AI, offshoring, whatever)

A lot of them are still here, bitching about the fact they are 'highly qualified and experienced' but cannot get jobs and its all someone else fault (recruiters, racism, AI, offshoring, whatever)
I'm sitting here chuckling, at just how accurate this quoted text is. Bravo!

Salaries haven’t changed in 20 years. I am sure there were other guys doing the same job some getting less than 500 and some over 1000. We are talking averages here.

Reactions: brian911
I’m a 27 years old software engineer who is bringing home 17 mil yen annually . Some of my coworkers in my group are making from 15 to 18 mil depending on exp and non Japanese speaker. Come apply at google’s Roppongi office. If you are American citizens, go to usajbs.gov and apply fed jobs in japan which pay around min 10 millions yen.

What is the maximum one can get at entry level if someone is in early 20s, good at math, programming, analytics, big data, with some technical and managerial experiences at industry level and already cleared JLPT N1 ?

What is the maximum one can get at entry level if someone is in early 20s, good at math, programming, analytics, big data, with some technical and managerial experiences at industry level and already cleared JLPT N1 ?
~3-5m, depending on field & degree - You said early 20's but nobody at that age has enough managerial experience to slingshot themselves ahead.
N1 means nothing - It just will grant you access to a job in Japanese, there's already many Japanese speakers living in Japan. :)

I am an IT consultant in my mid 20, my current pay is 370k Yen gross per Month. Thanks to my travelling around in Japan I get some bonuses for going to the customer directly instead of working remote from the company.
So from my point of view to the first poster of this thread is that he is being underpaid, I never received such a low offer.

I dont have a JLPT N1 but I do have some basic Japanese language skill on Conversation Level. So I think it's not really necessary to have a JLPT N1 for a work. Also you can still look for an international company. If you have the skills obviously ;)

Just in case it helps.

I have been working in Japan as an IT guy for around 10 years. Of course, in the IT world things changes a lot from one year to another, but this is my experience as developer:
- First job in Japan: around 4M (mostly PHP, some Java also)
- Changing companies almost every 2 years, in every change the salary increased around 1.5M (sometimes more, sometimes less, that's the average). With that "rule", if you have been working 5 years in IT related, you should be doing something near 7-8M.
- At this moment, with some good experience and working "more or less normally" in Japanese in a Japanese company, around 10M in senior development positions (aim to 12M if for lead development - team management level).

I have no idea if the situation is the same in foreign companies although I heard salary is better (I'm sure holidays and such are much better, getting only 10 days a year is ridiculous).

I also didn't plan the 2 years changing thing, it just happened that way for different reasons. But I keep an eye on how the market is and try to move that way for not becoming outdated (moved from PHP to Ruby and recently Golang). Studying Japanese is a must, but again, my experience is in Japanese companies.

A good place to check is http://jobs.forkwell.com, is a job hunting site but has an uncommon salary range information for each position, it pretty much matches my experience, seems pretty accurate.

Last edited:
- At this moment, with some good experience and working "more or less normally" in Japanese in a Japanese company, around 10M in senior development positions (aim to 12M if for lead development - team management level)

Accurately representative of what my brother in law makes (foreigner who switched to Japanese nationality years ago).

Your current salary is very normal for an entry level employee in IT. Considering you're only in your late twenties you're not doing bad at all, and I'm happy to hear that you've received a better offer. You can usually get promotion by switching to a different company. Unless you work at a global company the salary range is similar. Global companies are better in terms of working conditions and salaries. Don't let anyone demoralize you. Wish you the best!

You sound like a job recruiter !
;)

Reactions: Simonka
Lately i've been asking some of my Japanese friends who are working in IT fields what they think about < 4m yen salary annually for someone who's under 30.
Some said: it's quite low, some said: it's absolutely ok.
Your thoughts?

PS: I'm 27 and also works in IT fields in Tokyo. My current salary is pretty low, i think. 1 year ago, they offered me 260000 yen per month (.net is around 210000) plus bonus 2 months of salary each year.
I'm looking for a new job now, actually the new company said they could give me 4.6m yen annually. Obviously i was rather happy with this number but still confused if that's low or just so-so.

That's pretty par for the course... but if you speak decent conversational Japanese and know how to sell yourself (no, not like that ;D) you can make around 10M yen a year. I know someone who works for a game company and makes around that, but he's been in Tokyo for a bit and speaks Japanese well. He taught himself Japanese too if that give you any hope!