Avoiding Nigerians

Jessejames

Fakenenobrown
Reaction score
So i went to the red light district and i guess i scream american because i got no eye contact from anybody but the nigerians( not sure which way its spelled). I have so many seeds in my head saying to avoid those guys that i went home early. Can somebody explain why to avoid nigerians because its hard to see another "friendly" black face and turn them away. I feel like uncle ruckus now. I need a reason to avoid the only other black english speaking people i have meet.

Was this Kabukicho? You could just take a different street. I usually use that secluded little walkway by goldengai. Can't remember the name. However, if that's not possible, in my experience the ONLY way to get them to not follow you is to immediately say "fuck off" after they start talking. Rude, yes, but I've been doing that for a couple years and only one has said anything after that, but he still stopped following me. I wait for them to start talking though because I'd feel pretty bad if it was just a normal person who needed directions and I said fuck off right away, haha.

On the other hand, it's annoying yes, but who cares? You've got nothing to worry about as long as you don't follow them into a dark secluded dungeon.

Dark secluded dungeons? I thought it was all about dodgy bars promising an enticing receptacle for your credit card.

I do sometimes have legitimate reasons to walk through Kabukicho at night (because it's the shortest way from B to A) and I think I have developed a "fuck off don't bother me" expression which works quite well, and when it doesn't, a technique developed from the time when I used to walk home from work along Bangkok's Sukhumwit boulevard (hey, I like walking), mainly to avoid Indian tailors who wanted to make my acquaintance, which is to register their presence but don't make eye contact, then make a sudden side-step a split second before you pass, so their proffered handshake goes into thin air).

I need a reason to avoid the only other black english speaking people i have meet.
They're assholes who are intent on drugging and robbing you. You really need more of a reason?

It feels a little awkward for me to tell a person of color (I assume) to judge people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character... but what the heck, I’ll go for it.

Touts, confidence tricksters, and other lowlifes are not your brothers. They’re not your friends. They are not honest, decent, morally upright people who go through life trying not to harm the people that they meet. This applies whether they’re black, white, brown, or Asian.

Nigerian touts are a stain on the reputation of Nigeria. The sooner you can view them first as touts - and look past the fact that they are from a particular country or race - the better for you and for other Nigerians, most of whom are decent and generous people.

Just keep walking and say "I'm busy, I'm busy, I'm busy" and they get the hint pretty fast (with me anyways)

It feels a little awkward for me to tell a person of color (I assume) to judge people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character... but what the heck, I’ll go for it.

Touts, confidence tricksters, and other lowlifes are not your brothers. They’re not your friends. They are not honest, decent, morally upright people who go through life trying not to harm the people that they meet. This applies whether they’re black, white, brown, or Asian.

Nigerian touts are a stain on the reputation of Nigeria. The sooner you can view them first as touts - and look past the fact that they are from a particular country or race - the better for you and for other Nigerians, most of whom are decent and generous people.
I have met some cool hardworking honest Nigerians in the U.S.

I am sure that they are bothered by the fact that, at one time, Nigeria was a global leader in identity theft and credit card fraud. I grew up in an area known for nationally famous a-holes and thugs - so I’m probably viewed as guilty by association.

So, we should sling that paint brush too carelessly.

However, one must admit that the Nigerian touts in Tokyo have carved out a high-profile niche.

I don't know a lot about Japan's laws and enforcement, but it makes no sense to me that this stuff is still allowed and so prevalent.

I don't know a lot about Japan's laws and enforcement, but it makes no sense to me that this stuff is still allowed and so prevalent.

Same as it works in pretty much any big city.

The Nigerians kick a portion of their profits to the yaks that run their block.

The yaks in turn kick a portion of those profits to the police.

As long as nothing makes the news, the police leave the gravy train alone.

Same as it works in pretty much any big city.

The Nigerians kick a portion of their profits to the yaks that run their block.

The yaks in turn kick a portion of those profits to the police.

As long as nothing makes the news, the police leave the gravy train alone.

Makes sense. I've gotta get the whole "Japan is perfectly lawful" idea out of my head. It's safer than most other countries, but every country has assholes living in it.

IME they're pretty easy to deal with (in Kabukicho at least). Most of the time you can completely avoid them by taking specific routes (the main thoroughfares are usually ok). If you encounter one, just keep walking, around them if you have to. If any eye contact is made, just smile (and keep walking). "Sorry, my girlfriend is waiting for me" also works. Eventually they give up.
These creatures probably have a bit more testosterone pumping through their veins than the average Japanese...so dropping f-bombs or getting confrontational is not a good idea. :D

"Sorry, my girlfriend is waiting for me" also works.
Sorry is not a word that I will ever say to those vermin. It reinforces their sense of being entitled to breath the same air as me.
I’ve had touts complain at me that I gave them the cold shoulder. I will not spend a minute of my time explaining to them that I do not owe them my attention because that would be giving them my attention.

Reactions: MikeH
Makes sense. I've gotta get the whole "Japan is perfectly lawful" idea out of my head. It's safer than most other countries, but every country has assholes living in it.
Organized Crime.