Azabu National Market

Karen

Mistress of the Night
Executive Leadership
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Hello!

I originally answered these questions for Kias in another thread, this would make a great addition to our forum reference area.

The Azabu National Market, located in Hiro on the Hibiya line carries a wide variety of foreign grocery products that come from American and European countries.

There is also a local posting board, mostly in written in English where you can find help or you can advertise things to other foreign residents in Japan.

On the weekends, you will see a lot of foreign families shopping there and around the general neighborhood. There are a lot of nice people and friendly service there. The prices are a little higher than comparable Japanese products, but again they are imported so the cost will always be higher. If you are like me, there are just some western products you just have to have!

If you are new to Tokyo and are looking for some basic western products, start with the Azabu National Market. ;)

Link: http://www.national-azabu.com/e_index2.php (English)

Please post any comments you would like to share about this market.

<3 :D

Slight delay in posting this, but here it is.

I finally made it down to Hiro the other day and had a chance to take a look at this market. It is quite spectacular in the way of international products. It was great to see some American cleaning products that I recognized and missed having. The Japanese versions of some of these cleaners just didn't do the job. It was great to finally get some of my favorite items back. I cannot believe I had not heard about this place sooner. During my first visit, I took about one hour to browse downstairs and upstairs. It was kind of a shock to find that they had a decent supply of books upstairs. Didn't spend a whole lot of time upstairs, but I will go back for a closer look on the next trip.

Overall, I spent about 15,000 yen on a number of things that I found. Some items were things I really wanted and others were new to me that I wanted to try out. (It looked good, so I bought it...) I bought a lot of American chocolate from the candy section, it is delicious.

Other notes: They do have a fresh meat setup, seafood as well. The prices are not unreasonable for the average person. One thing I did notice, there were a lot of 'rich' people floating around in Hiro. I'm by no means 'poor' - but these people, you could smell the money!

Can't remember other details, I'm sure there are some. I'll post again when I go back. If you are looking for some foreign products, you should at least try this place once to see what they have.

The bf and I are going to Hiro this weekend and will be stopping by this place again. We're taking a bigger bag to carry stuff back in this time. It's really difficulty to carry a lot of items from here if you don't have a car or cannot afford to take a taxi back to your home. I saw a lot of people taking cars to pickup loads of groceries and supplies, sort of reminds me of America, haha. We're also picking up some supplies for Hanami parties this weekend and praying that the weekend weather will remain cooperative. :)

<3

I finally made it out there!

This place is hot! I'll be going back again, but this time with a bigger bag. It's a long way to go but they've got some stuff I really love there.

Awesome find!

I finally made it out there!

This place is hot! I'll be going back again, but this time with a bigger bag. It's a long way to go but they've got some stuff I really love there.

Awesome find!

Nice!

A friend of mine takes a huge duffel bag and fills it up about once a week. He goes on the weekends when the Hibiya line isn't too crowded. :D

The bf and I are going next week for our usual shopping trip.

I *still* think their prices are a little high, but I guess reasonable since it's all imported stuff. We don't have much choice though... if we really want those items.

I *still* think their prices are a little high, but I guess reasonable since it's all imported stuff. We don't have much choice though... if we really want those items.

What are you complaining about?

You're rich!

:p:D;)

(he doesn't even buy me lunch when we meet)

National Azabu is open again.... Prices are the same (high) but selection is very good for ex-Japan food. The building isn't much bigger than before but feels more open and less disorganized.

I love those markets like Nissin and Azabu.

For just a little extra fee, they will ship anything to your place the next day. Just ask if they do Takyubin. I have wines and other less parishable goods sent to my place the next day. They will also ship perishable items, but there is a cooling charge.

Nissin has the best prices on USDA beef in Tokyo, cut to order. mmmmmmm

Looking forward to heading over there, I've not been there since they reopened. I hope that I can find my favorite stuff that they used to carry before!