Guest viewing is limited

Best beaches in Kanto

rikkun

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

It’s the heart of summer and I would like to refresh myself.
According to you, what are the best beaches in the Kanto area?
By best, I mean best to swim and chill, not the over-crowded places like Zushi or Enoshima.
I have heard that there were cool spots in Chiba.

Thanks for your help!

Hi everybody!

By best, I mean best to swim and chill, not the over-crowded places like Zushi or Enoshima.

Thanks for your help!

Go to Shirahama Beach or Shimoda area

Go to Shirahama Beach or Shimoda area
The best beach in the area is Kisami Ohama or the beach right next to it, Maiso Hama. These beaches are a short distance south of the town of Shimoda near the tip of the Izu peninsula. If there is a typhoon however, they will be closed for swimming, in which case you can try neighboring iritahama, tatadohama, or Yumigahama.
They are all excellent. They are excellent because they are just a bit too far from Tokyo for the average enthusiast to go for the day - being about 3 hours by train or car. Even so they are crowded in June, July and August. I suggest that if you go, you stay a night at a local Minshuku. Closer by on the Miura peninsula are Morito and Ishiki. Though not nearly as nice as the Izu beaches, they are OK. Ishiki gets a lot of gaijin and can be fun. I hope you are not one of those guys who wears a t-back. If you are, go to Chiba.

The best beach in the area is Kisami Ohama or the beach right next to it, Maiso Hama. These beaches are a short distance south of the town of Shimoda near the tip of the Izu peninsula. If there is a typhoon however, they will be closed for swimming, in which case you can try neighboring iritahama, tatadohama, or Yumigahama.
They are all excellent. They are excellent because they are just a bit too far from Tokyo for the average enthusiast to go for the day - being about 3 hours by train or car. Even so they are crowded in June, July and August. I suggest that if you go, you stay a night at a local Minshuku. Closer by on the Miura peninsula are Morito and Ishiki. Though not nearly as nice as the Izu beaches, they are OK. Ishiki gets a lot of gaijin and can be fun. I hope you are not one of those guys who wears a t-back. If you are, go to Chiba.

I couldn't remember the name, but knew it was near Shimoda. There are also some small areas that are a little secluded. I always seem to forget to bookmark them. They have kind of like a little cave entrance with a super small beach spot. Very few people there. Not sure if you know what I'm talking about, but it's a little south of Shimoda or Shirahama.

Ishiki is good , there are some trees behind, not a road and buildings , and its cool to swim near an imperial villa... :cool:
less crowds than Kamakura or Zushi, usually and nice beach bars (Blue Moon, Umigoya).
Only slight issue: sometimes there are tiny jellyfishes or sea flies , not sure what it is, bites are not that painful nor dangerous though

Ishiki is good , there are some trees behind, not a road and buildings , and its cool to swim near an imperial villa... :cool:
less crowds than Kamakura or Zushi, usually and nice beach bars (Blue Moon, Umigoya).
Only slight issue: sometimes there are tiny jellyfishes or sea flies , not sure what it is, bites are not that painful nor dangerous though
They are called Chinkui - tiny shrimp-like crustaceans. Wear board shorts with no lining to avoid multiple bites to the frank and beans.

Thank you all for the good advice.
And no, I am not wearing T-back. How would this relate to Chiba?

Oban is soon. No crowds anywhere in Tokyo.

That's not entirely true, there are plenty of people who don't leave town for oban, and I've often tried to do something during oban in Tokyo and found that something to be crowded....
Soapland for instance?

Reactions: Lukes
Soapland for instance?

I don't use soaplands, but "soaplands" but your comment made it seem like all of Tokyo empties out during oban which it doesn't. Certain sectors may see fewer people because many people leave for oban, but many places are still crowded. I am sure the beaches will be especially crowded during oban.

Hi everybody!

Thanks for your help!

If you google something like best beaches in Chiba/Shonan you will find some useful info.

If I was doing a day trip, then Isshiki beach in Hayama would be my preference. I still think it is a tough day trip by car or public transport, even though it is quite close to Tokyo. Relative to other Shonan beaches it is clean, less crowded, and the scene is a little more "sophisticated" - that is not saying much. The Japan beach scene is pretty ...well, weird. You can get something to eat at Blue Moon and set up "camp" in a beach house/shed - which means you can travel fairly light.

I went out for a day trip to Chiba last year for the first time. Went to Moriya beach - very crowded and very local. I enjoyed the day and finished it with some good seafood in a restaurant "downtown". You need a car to explore Chiba beaches - it is a long day trip. It is nice driving in parts of the Chiba countryside. Quite surprising how "rural" Chiba is, given that it neighbors Tokyo.

But like others suggested, the Shimoda area is a way better option - even though it is outside Kanto.

If you want to avoid any crowd, I would recommend Mito beach in Miura. It’s a small idyllic beach which is rather deserted always. It’s 25 minutes’ walk away from Keikyu Misakiguchi station. I can’t say it’s the best - no facilities there, and beach water is clean but far from crystal clear.

Right? Oban is a tasty Scotch.

Oban sounds like the nickname you invent to your obachan after you do her raw doggie.

Reactions: DireWolf98
Guess who doesn't care. I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count :p
Somebody who’s had several glasses of Oban?