Best islands in the Ryukyu island chain to work and live?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I will most likely relocate to Tokyo sometime late this year (not sure if or when yet) but I don't want to live in Tokyo long-term (maybe like 2 or 3 years max).

Aside from having terrible hay fever and allergies, I have another good reason to move to these islands. I have started working with a good friend on smartphone apps. My friend does most of the coding while I have been taking care of the marketing and gathering sponsors type stuff. I would rather not say what apps these are for privacy-sake, but we have a lot of confidence that this particular app we are working on could earn us a lot of money (knock on wood). Even if it doesn't we have 2 other really good ideas for apps that we will be working on in the future as well.

If this business takes off, I would be able to work from any island as long as I have a good internet connection and I have always loved the tropical island environment.

The problem is that I don't really want to live on Okinawa-hontō because of all the US military soldiers there. I don't want to have to be around drunk, belligerent idiots or be mistaken for one of them as they have a bad reputation there.

Maybe there is a smaller, yet decently inhabited island that has English teaching schools as well (for making extra cash on the side) that haven't been ruined by a huge US military presence or all-year overcrowding from tourists?

I see that google maps only pulls up a couple English schools for a search on Miyakojima and most of the schools I found on Ishigaki are public schools, since I doubt little islands will have many Eikaiwa type schools.

Amami Oshima looks somewhat promising with some English schools, a high population and no US military bases by the looks of it...

I could always just open up my own private English school/consulting service on whatever island I go to someday as I have started doing here in Shizuoka City. All I would really need to do is change the address details on the website I made haha.

Has anyone traveled around these islands?

Last edited:
The first thing to understand is that these islands not really tropical paradises in terms of their weather and environment. Not like Hawaii and not like French Polynesia. They are crazy hot and humid most of the year because there are no tradewinds like the aforementioned. Also, they are sparsely populated and economically depressed. The people who live there are pretty simple and pretty boring and pretty closed off to outsiders. They are very family oriented country people. I guess if you really love diving, or deep sea fishing or Okinawan music, all fantastic, then that would be a reason to want to live there for awhile. Otherwise, I think you would get pretty sick of it pretty fast. Looks great in pictures. Nice for a week of windsurfing in the winter or diving in the summer, or enjoying awamori and local music for a few nights, but living there, not so much. Amami Oshima is not really at all like the rest of the Okinawan Islands in terms of environment or culture. It’s sub tropical, not tropical. And it is very, very quiet. Try Bali. Lots of web workers there.

The first thing to understand is that these islands not really tropical paradises in terms of their weather and environment. Not like Hawaii and not like French Polynesia. They are crazy hot and humid most of the year because there are no tradewinds like the aforementioned. Also, they are sparsely populated and economically depressed. The people who live there are pretty simple and pretty boring and pretty closed off to outsiders. They are very family oriented country people. I guess if you really love diving, or deep sea fishing or Okinawan music, all fantastic, then that would be a reason to want to live there for awhile. Otherwise, I think you would get pretty sick of it pretty fast. Looks great in pictures. Nice for a week of windsurfing in the winter or diving in the summer, or enjoying awamori and local music for a few nights, but living there, not so much. Amami Oshima is not really at all like the rest of the Okinawan Islands in terms of environment or culture. It’s sub tropical, not tropical. And it is very, very quiet. Try Bali. Lots of web workers there.

My roommate was telling me that the locals of Miyako Island are known for being unwelcoming to foreigners and even Japanese people that aren't from the island and mentioned that foreigners are a little more welcomed (maybe not by a lot) by the locals on Ishigaki Island. These islands seem too small and I agree would get boring.

Aside from it being hot and humid all year, do you believe the case is the same for Okinawa Island?

I would assume that this island would have locals that are a little more open to foreigners in general over the other islands due to all the foreigners living there.

Of course, a lot of the locals probably hate all the US soldiers but if I said that I wasn't a part of that and lived in a neighborhood a little distant from the bases...would that help a little?

Okinawa Island doesn't look like it would become boring as fast as most of the other, smaller islands. I might travel there on my next vacation and see how it is.

Due to how small the island is...I also assume it is pretty much impossible avoiding the drunk fratboy soldiers every night I go out. Maybe they are busy working during the daytime, so I won't see them as often...then again no idea.

Bali seems really nice but I'm trying to live somewhere within Japan as I have obtained permanent residence status.

I would rather not start a whole new visa process to live long-term in another Asian country if I don't have to. It would be a last resort type scenario.

Last edited:
My roommate was telling me that the locals of Miyako Island are known for being unwelcoming to foreigners and even Japanese people that aren't from the island and mentioned that foreigners are a little more welcomed (maybe not by a lot) by the locals on Ishigaki Island. These islands seem too small and I agree would get boring.

Aside from it being hot and humid all year, do you believe the case is the same for Okinawa Island?

I would assume that this island would have locals that are a little more open to foreigners in general over the other islands due to all the foreigners living there.

Of course, a lot of the locals probably hate all the US soldiers but if I said that I wasn't a part of that and lived in a neighborhood a little distant from the bases...would that help a little?

Okinawa Island doesn't look like it would become boring as fast as most of the other, smaller islands. I might travel there on my next vacation and see how it is.

Due to how small the island is...I also assume it is pretty much impossible avoiding the drunk fratboy soldiers every night I go out. Maybe they are busy working during the daytime, so I won't see them as often...then again no idea.
You can probably avoid the 5,000 drunk, violent US Marine Rapists during your day to day, but the problem is the locals are going to think you are part of their clan. Even if you have long hair and don’t look the part, they will assume you are part of the US military industrial juggernaut and you will not be able to make good friends. It’s a toxic fucked up environment.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow

True. These days a sizeable number of US military personnel are female. :D

(But seriously, I know many active and retired US military personnel here, some of the finest people I know.)

Okinawans have a wide range of views about the US military presence. Let’s just say that not everyone is anti-American. Also, the military tends to get a bad rep from the actions of a few individuals.

In any event, the US bases are concentrated in certain areas like Chatan, Okinawa City, etc. If you go to somewhere like Naha, then you won’t see many American service members. Indeed, in Naha you’re much more likely to run into tourists from other parts of East Asia.

Tokyo in the summer can be just as hot and humid as Okinawa. Winter in Okinawa is mild compared to Tokyo, but it is normally still too cold to swim in the ocean during the winter months unless you’re wearing a wetsuit.

Ok, so I will most likely relocate to Tokyo sometime late this year (not sure if or when yet) but I don't want to live in Tokyo long-term (maybe like 2 or 3 years max).

Aside from having terrible hay fever and allergies, I have another good reason to move to these islands. I have started working with a good friend on smartphone apps. My friend does most of the coding while I have been taking care of the marketing and gathering sponsors type stuff. I would rather not say what apps these are for privacy-sake, but we have a lot of confidence that this particular app we are working on could earn us a lot of money (knock on wood). Even if it doesn't we have 2 other really good ideas for apps that we will be working on in the future as well.

If this business takes off, I would be able to work from any island as long as I have a good internet connection and I have always loved the tropical island environment.

The problem is that I don't really want to live on Okinawa-hontō because of all the US military soldiers there. I don't want to have to be around drunk, belligerent idiots or be mistaken for one of them as they have a bad reputation there.

Maybe there is a smaller, yet decently inhabited island that has English teaching schools as well (for making extra cash on the side) that haven't been ruined by a huge US military presence or all-year overcrowding from tourists?

I see that google maps only pulls up a couple English schools for a search on Miyakojima and most of the schools I found on Ishigaki are public schools, since I doubt little islands will have many Eikaiwa type schools.

Amami Oshima looks somewhat promising with some English schools, a high population and no US military bases by the looks of it...

I could always just open up my own private English school/consulting service on whatever island I go to someday as I have started doing here in Shizuoka City. All I would really need to do is change the address details on the website I made haha.

Has anyone traveled around these islands?

I did one holiday in the Ishigaki area and one in the Kerama Island area and spent a few nights in Naha.

I think Google Maps/Street view can give you a pretty good feel for some of these places. Useful to search for things that you might be interested in....bookshops, coffee shops, restaurants, whatever....check opening hours...gives you an idea how slow or retro these places are. Checking historical weather info online would be a good idea --- it is not hot and humid all year round. Typhoons and rainfall may be an issue.

Ishigaki is basically "rural" Japan on the sea.... not much going on, pretty dull, hard to find a good cup of coffee and restaurants that are open. The area has enough stuff to dress up a travel brochure and set of postcards...but beyond that there is not much to see or do. It doesn't have the tropical Island vibe, and you don't leave there thinking you could easily live there or would like to build a holiday home there.

I never really explored Naha....but didn't notice any young American soldiers running around. More of them in Roppongi than in Naha.

I like the Kerama Islands...more of a tropical vibe. But like all these places the JPNese tend to like pouring concrete everywhere...nothing is in pristine condition. You have a nice beach, watersports (...not surfing) and some whale watching. You have relatively easy access to Naha by high speed ferry/jetfoil. Tourists would be annoying if you lived there .... but then again, you could shag some of them. Not sure how easy it would be to rent a place on these smaller islands. I could see why someone might want to build a holiday villa on somewhere like Zamami Island.....it is nice, but dead quiet/boring....tiny population.

Is Kyushu (and the islands off Kyushu) affected by pollen? Could be an option?

Okinawans have a wide range of views about the US military presence. Let’s just say that not everyone is anti-American. Also, the military tends to get a bad rep from the actions of a few individuals.

In any event, the US bases are concentrated in certain areas like Chatan, Okinawa City, etc. If you go to somewhere like Naha, then you won’t see many American service members. Indeed, in Naha you’re much more likely to run into tourists from other parts of East Asia.

Tokyo in the summer can be just as hot and humid as Okinawa. Winter in Okinawa is mild compared to Tokyo, but it is normally still too cold to swim in the ocean during the winter months unless you’re wearing a wetsuit.
I love the explanation that the US military gets a bad rep from ‘the action of a few individuals’. Why would anyone expect anything different, and how is that an explanation?

Last edited:
The US government should pay the Chinese to build another island (They seem to be pretty good at it.) in the area where we can isolate the 5,000 drunken rapist marines and then then people of Okinawa can live unmolested in peace.

Reactions: chaztagster

The only Okinawans who have a positive view about US presence are the ones who in some way make money from it. And even these people just turn a blind eye to the rapes, assaults, thefts and general bad behavior.

Last edited:
I don’t think the US Marines in Okinawa are drunk frat boys. Drunk frat boys wouldn’t really be such a big problem. I do know that some of them are heavy drinking louts. Some of them are violent. Some of them are rapists. Some of them are thieves. Some of them drink, drive and get in accidents. This is not open to debate. It is a fact. That is why senior military regularly has to enforce curfews and drinking bans and off limit areas.

Last edited:
I've been in Naha during summer and I wouldn't call it crazy hot, it was good hot, perfect for a summer :D
I've been in November too and it was great, I'd love to leave there and I would if I was single.

I'm not saying that all military are drunk frat boys and I'm sorry it came out that way lol.

I also didn't intend to brag about the app. It is just exciting to work on because it does seem promising.

One of my best friends is in the US army and I have met some cool soldiers through him.

I don’t think the US Marines in Okinawa are drunk frat boys. Drunk frat boys wouldn’t really be such a big problem. I do know that some of them are heavy drinking louts. Some of them are violent. Some of them are rapists. Some of them are thieves. Some of them drink, drive and get in accidents. This is not open to debate. It is a fact. That is why senior military regularly has to enforce curfews and drinking bans and off limit areas.

This is a good point because while there are a lot of really chill soldiers, there are a lot that also commit many crimes because they know that before the police come to possibly arrest them, they have already run away back into the safety of their US military bases.

This is something they do often because they know they can get away with it.

I did one holiday in the Ishigaki area and one in the Kerama Island area and spent a few nights in Naha.

I think Google Maps/Street view can give you a pretty good feel for some of these places. Useful to search for things that you might be interested in....bookshops, coffee shops, restaurants, whatever....check opening hours...gives you an idea how slow or retro these places are. Checking historical weather info online would be a good idea --- it is not hot and humid all year round. Typhoons and rainfall may be an issue.

Ishigaki is basically "rural" Japan on the sea.... not much going on, pretty dull, hard to find a good cup of coffee and restaurants that are open. The area has enough stuff to dress up a travel brochure and set of postcards...but beyond that there is not much to see or do. It doesn't have the tropical Island vibe, and you don't leave there thinking you could easily live there or would like to build a holiday home there.

I never really explored Naha....but didn't notice any young American soldiers running around. More of them in Roppongi than in Naha.

I like the Kerama Islands...more of a tropical vibe. But like all these places the JPNese tend to like pouring concrete everywhere...nothing is in pristine condition. You have a nice beach, watersports (...not surfing) and some whale watching. You have relatively easy access to Naha by high speed ferry/jetfoil. Tourists would be annoying if you lived there .... but then again, you could shag some of them. Not sure how easy it would be to rent a place on these smaller islands. I could see why someone might want to build a holiday villa on somewhere like Zamami Island.....it is nice, but dead quiet/boring....tiny population.

Is Kyushu (and the islands off Kyushu) affected by pollen? Could be an option?

Thank you for taking the time to write up such an informative response.

Reactions: Sudsy
I've been in Naha during summer and I wouldn't call it crazy hot, it was good hot, perfect for a summer :D
I've been in November too and it was great, I'd love to leave there and I would if I was single.

Yes, being from southern California I guess I'm always hoping for an endless summer haha.

Good to know that it isn't too hot. Does it get really humid though?

If you own a car already, you can ship it to Okinawa Prefecture and then get a new set of license plates. Public transportation in the Ryukyu Islands is limited. Very different from Tokyo.

True, there is a monorail in Naha plus some bus lines here and there. Yet, you would really want to have a car even on the main island.

If you don’t have a car, you could buy a new or used one on Okinawa. Some of the used cars have relatively low mileage for their age because distances are fairly short.

Last edited:

Why would you ever want to do that? Just call them all grunts, who cares, they all need to be in the base anyway for curfew when the adult playing time starts. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: warubuta

Mud humper, guppy fucker, pigeon fucker, bullet sponge. Do I get a gold star? :D

Thank you for taking the time to write up such an informative response.

No problem.

While recalling my Oki travels ....I remembered being on Taketomi Island about 100 metres out to "sea" with water just up to my ankles, turning around and looking back to shore and seeing a Japanese guy sitting down in the shallow water getting a BJ from his girlfriend. Islands do induce some "romance"...even if they do not provide the standard range of aquatic sport.