Best islands in the Ryukyu island chain to work and live?

Okinawans have a wide range of views about the US military presence. Let’s just say that not everyone is anti-American. Also, the military tends to get a bad rep from the actions of a few individuals.

In any event, the US bases are concentrated in certain areas like Chatan, Okinawa City, etc. If you go to somewhere like Naha, then you won’t see many American service members. Indeed, in Naha you’re much more likely to run into tourists from other parts of East Asia.

Tokyo in the summer can be just as hot and humid as Okinawa. Winter in Okinawa is mild compared to Tokyo, but it is normally still too cold to swim in the ocean during the winter months unless you’re wearing a wetsuit.
there were a lot of Chinese and Taiwanese tourist when I went.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
If you own a car already, you can ship it to Okinawa Prefecture and then get a new set of license plates. Public transportation in the Ryukyu Islands is limited. Very different from Tokyo.

True, there is a monorail in Naha plus some bus lines here and there. Yet, you would really want to have a car even on the main island.

If you don’t have a car, you could buy a new or used one on Okinawa. Some of the used cars have relatively low mileage for their age because distances are fairly short.
true, the monorail doesn't cover enough of Naha to be useful and the buses are often late. a car or a bike is a must have there.

So in your opinion, which seems to be based on suspicious statistics you pulled out of your ass (please cite a source if not your ass), the crime rate by violent redneck soldiers is low enough that the people of Okinawa should stop complaining? This is exactly the attitude that gets you into so much trouble.

Why would you ever want to do that? Just call them all grunts, who cares, they all need to be in the base anyway for curfew when the adult playing time starts. :ROFLMAO:
Unfortunately this doesn’t stop them from, at 10AM, abducting a 13 year old student on her way to school, taping her arms and legs with US Military issue duct tape, and tag-teaming her in the back of a car behind a sugarcane field. Those guys are out of jail already. It’s ok though because those guys were just part of the .1%. Knowing this I am sure she has a really nice, well adjusted life and has put it all behind her.

true, the monorail doesn't cover enough of Naha to be useful and the buses are often late. a car or a bike is a must have there.
Get a little Kei car with a rack for your windsurfer and a cooler in the back seat for your Sangosho beer.

I've been in Naha during summer and I wouldn't call it crazy hot, it was good hot, perfect for a summer :D
I've been in November too and it was great, I'd love to leave there and I would if I was single.
I guess it is not that super fricking hot all the time. My point was that many people seem to think that it is going to be like Hawaii or Tahiti which are hot but have a nearly constant coolish tradewind breeze coming off the ocean. Okinawa doesn’t have that. It is more like Southeast Asia. No constant breeze, but often quite pleasant.

Ok, so I will most likely relocate to Tokyo sometime late this year (not sure if or when yet) but I don't want to live in Tokyo long-term (maybe like 2 or 3 years max).

Aside from having terrible hay fever and allergies, I have another good reason to move to these islands. I have started working with a good friend on smartphone apps. My friend does most of the coding while I have been taking care of the marketing and gathering sponsors type stuff. I would rather not say what apps these are for privacy-sake, but we have a lot of confidence that this particular app we are working on could earn us a lot of money (knock on wood). Even if it doesn't we have 2 other really good ideas for apps that we will be working on in the future as well.

If this business takes off, I would be able to work from any island as long as I have a good internet connection and I have always loved the tropical island environment.

The problem is that I don't really want to live on Okinawa-hontō because of all the US military soldiers there. I don't want to have to be around drunk, belligerent idiots or be mistaken for one of them as they have a bad reputation there.

Maybe there is a smaller, yet decently inhabited island that has English teaching schools as well (for making extra cash on the side) that haven't been ruined by a huge US military presence or all-year overcrowding from tourists?

I see that google maps only pulls up a couple English schools for a search on Miyakojima and most of the schools I found on Ishigaki are public schools, since I doubt little islands will have many Eikaiwa type schools.

Amami Oshima looks somewhat promising with some English schools, a high population and no US military bases by the looks of it...

I could always just open up my own private English school/consulting service on whatever island I go to someday as I have started doing here in Shizuoka City. All I would really need to do is change the address details on the website I made haha.

Has anyone traveled around these islands?

Feel free to PM me with other questions about Okinawa.

I'm assuming you are in the military and I keep continuously offending you. Once again, I apologize.

Mud humper, guppy fucker, pigeon fucker, bullet sponge. Do I get a gold star? :D

You get a purple heart baby!

Purple%20Heart_1472176522894_45187590_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Get a little Kei car with a rack for your windsurfer and a cooler in the back seat for your Sangosho beer.

FUUUUUCK YEAH! That sounds like the chill lifestyle I'm working my way toward. I will have to get back into surfing but windsurfing sounds fun. It is on the to do list.

As for the beer, I'm about to have a couple now with dinner.

Not long anyway, it is probably ripe enough to fall off soon.

Nah, it got jerked off well before that was a risk.

Reactions: MikeH

Well, you didn't say whether or not you are in the military, so I will assume you are or were or have family that is.

You still seem salty because you don't seem to want to accept my apology.

I don't have a problem calling a transgender sir...especially if they still have a penis lol.

Reactions: warubuta