Best ramen

Hold up...did I read this correct?

Are you actually saying instant ramen noodles are better than Ippudo?

I know there are countless mom and pop ramen shops better than Ippudo, but instant ramen...

Sometimes I'm happy to pay $20 ($15 plus tax and tips) for what I could have at Y800 in Japan, but sometimes not. Besides, I'm too lazy to queue up for a ramen at Ippudo. As uncrowded ramen restaurants in the US are usually disappointing, a good instant ramen is not so bad choice for me.

Sometimes I'm happy to pay $20 ($15 plus tax and tips) for what I could have at Y800 in Japan, but sometimes not. Besides, I'm too lazy to queue up for a ramen at Ippudo. As uncrowded ramen restaurants in the US are usually disappointing, a good instant ramen is not so bad choice for me.

Ippudo isn't $20 here in Japan...maybe in the US they overcharge?

Where in the US do you live?

Southern California has a ton of awsome ramen shops, especially in Orange County, Northridge and LA.

And no, I'm not referring to the chain Ajisen (although they are alright). I like Shinsengumi, Kitakata, Tatsu Ramen, The Ramen Joint, What's Up Ramen and there are a lot more.

Santouka is way overrrated, but they are still good.

Reactions: Negi77 and Ken1988
Just had a great bowl of shrimp broth tsukemen in Shinjuku.

Name: Tsukemen Go no Kami Seisaku Jyo

https://ramendb.supleks.jp/s/31204.html

They're located to the east of Takashimaya on the other side of the main road.
The line gets really long, so your easiest bet will be to line up at 10:40 before they open
or come during the quiet hours before dinner.

Noodles are fantastic and you can get your dipping soup in 3 different flavors:
Shrimp
Shrimp + Miso
Shrimp + Tomato soup

If you've been to the Shrimp ramen shop Ebi Soba Ichigen in Nishi-Shinjuku, you'll know what to expect. This is basically the tsukemen version.

https://ramendb.supleks.jp/s/72050.html

The soup is really thick and sticks to the noodles well. One things that's unique is that they'll give you up to 1 refill of the dipping soup. Usually, you'll only get broth to loosen and heat the soup back up, so this is a great bargain.

Seems like Go no Kami is a minor chain with disciples of the master chef opening their own ramen shops in several locations throughout Tokyo.

Seafood based tsukemen is really popular these days. I've had crab broth ramen and lobster broth tsukemen at other shops before, and I must say the distinctive flavors really pack a punch.

Last edited:
I really miss that little ramen alley they used to have just off of Sunshine 60 in Ikebukuro. (Think now it's Round1 and American Eagle Outfitters now?)
Never got to try out all of those shops - only one I remember was one that had a lobster based soup?

Appreciate all the suggestions on this thread. Definitely gotta try these out this next trip. :)

I really miss that little ramen alley they used to have just off of Sunshine 60 in Ikebukuro. (Think now it's Round1 and American Eagle Outfitters now?)
Never got to try out all of those shops - only one I remember was one that had a lobster based soup?

Appreciate all the suggestions on this thread. Definitely gotta try these out this next trip. :)

Yeah, a lot of the great dive alleys for ramen and udon are gone now, mostly replaced by chain stores.

For lobster and crab based tsukemen, you can't beat Keisuke.
The current shop in Tokyo is called Yon Daime Keisuke and it's located in Hon-Komagome,
which is south of Kamagome station on the Yamanote line.

https://ramendb.supleks.jp/s/17372.html
http://www.grandcuisine.jp/keisuke/4daime.html

Be careful which time you go because they only serve crab broth for lunch and lobster broth for dinner.

Keisuke also has several shops around the country. I remember when they were an original member of the
Tokyo station ramen street, but they left there because the rent got too expensive, I think.

I just make my own. It's not that hard. Chashu is fairly easy to make, and there are plenty of online recipes for it. Most ramen brother is also very simple to make. As long as you get quality noodles and fresh veggies it shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: AMcguyver
I just make my own. It's not that hard. Chashu is fairly easy to make, and there are plenty of online recipes for it. Most ramen brother is also very simple to make. As long as you get quality noodles and fresh veggies it shouldn't be a problem.

If it's as good as you say, how 'bout opening a shop?
You could call it TAG ramen and everyone on this site would be obligated to come try it out.

Opening a restaurant is not cheap. Making it profitable is not easy either. I've seen too many people open up restaurants that close a year later. So unless you're offering to foot the bill. I will not be opening up a ramen shop.

I'm just stating that I'd rather spend $15 and buy enough ingredients for 4-5 meals, than go to an over priced shop in the US. Ramen is not hard, the hardest thing is getting good noodles in the US, and there are asian specialty stores for that.

Reactions: ur19877

Haven't found a chashu recipe that worked for us yet. (last attempt was too dry) And where we live, we have to fly to another island to get good negi. :(

Opening a restaurant is not cheap. Making it profitable is not easy either. I've seen too many people open up restaurants that close a year later. So unless you're offering to foot the bill. I will not be opening up a ramen shop.

I'm just stating that I'd rather spend $15 and buy enough ingredients for 4-5 meals, than go to an over priced shop in the US. Ramen is not hard, the hardest thing is getting good noodles in the US, and there are asian specialty stores for that.

Are the noodles handmade every day? If not, then I think we have different stands about what constitutes a good noodle. There's a reason why Michelin star chefs travel to places like Kagawa prefecture to learn how to make udon noodles from scratch. It's not just the ingredients, it's the technique.

I'd say the hardest thing about ramen is getting depth to the taste and balancing all the components. I don't just want to fill up on a heavy bowl, I want to be orgasming in my pants while I do it.

Haven't found a chashu recipe that worked for us yet. (last attempt was too dry) And where we live, we have to fly to another island to get good negi. :(

:-( That sucks that you don't have the negi locally. Have you tried growing your own? I have a farm about 500m from my house and that is what they primarily grow, so if I want fresh negi and can't find it in the store I just walk over to the farm stand and buy it there (though I have to do it at stupid early in the morning before my neighbors do).

I've tried a few chashu recipies, they aren't amazing, but they are just as good as the local shops. I'll see if I can dig one of them up.

Are the noodles handmade every day? If not, then I think we have different stands about what constitutes a good noodle.

I am not that picky, and the places in the US in NYC or Boston that charge $10-$15 a bowl aren't hand making them either, they are buying bulk from local noodle companies. Their high prices is undoubtedly because of their high rents, so I get why they charge so much, but not worth it to me when I can make the same quality or slightly better at home.

For all you ramen fanatics, I suggest you go on a pilgrimage this April to the Ramen Museum in Shin Yokohama. I know it's a bit of a distance for some of you, however, you could pass your

time reciting tales of your favorite TAG thread. The winner would be awarded a meal of ramen at the restaurant of her/his choice.

http://www.raumen.co.jp/english/

I am not that picky, and the places in the US in NYC or Boston that charge $10-$15 a bowl aren't hand making them either, they are buying bulk from local noodle companies. Their high prices is undoubtedly because of their high rents, so I get why they charge so much, but not worth it to me when I can make the same quality or slightly better at home.

and this is why I don't frequent steak houses anymore on my own dime....i can get a better quality cut of meat and cook it well enough to be happy...

Reactions: impish
i can get a better quality cut of meat and cook it well enough to be happy...

Hell, with a little practice, you can get a cheaper cut of meat and cook it well enough to be happy.

I think I'm gonna get some steaks on the way home....

Reactions: ur19877
I've been there once and tried to go again but it seems like they are closed for good :(

Inside Tokyo station, there is a very famous vegan ramen restaurant called T's tan tan.
There are some other places in Tokyo that have a vegan ramen option, but this one is the most raved about by vegs.
I think the Afuri chain has a vegan ramen? With konnyaku noodles?

Going back to Shinjuku, Musashi is pretty great but I actually like their Akiba branch more.

Reverse for Taketora - the Kabukicho main shop is awesome but the Roppongi one is just so-so.

I also like Bankara for the kakuni.

I'm not a ramen gourmet - I have zero problems hitting up Seiya every now and again - but if anyone knows a really good tantanmen place in Shinjuku I would be stoked!

Going back to Shinjuku, Musashi is pretty great but I actually like their Akiba branch more.

Reverse for Taketora - the Kabukicho main shop is awesome but the Roppongi one is just so-so.

I also like Bankara for the kakuni.

I'm not a ramen gourmet - I have zero problems hitting up Seiya every now and again - but if anyone knows a really good tantanmen place in Shinjuku I would be stoked!

I used to love Bankara until I ordered the deluxe kakuni ramen at the Kabukicho shop and got a hard stick of pork, not flakey or juicy at all. I think they gave me the last one from the last batch. Have never gone back since.

I used to love Bankara until I ordered the deluxe kakuni ramen at the Kabukicho shop and got a hard stick of pork, not flakey or juicy at all. I think they gave me the last one from the last batch. Have never gone back since.

Ugh... and that doubly sucks because I think the Kakuni is like 250 yen more, too, so its not a cheap add-on.

True, true!!!

I opened a restaurant in 1984 and stayed open for a year. I, then, spent over ten years paying the IRS for a $5,000 bill that ballooned to over $25,000 since I was too broke to pay. I filed all the forms, but did not have the money.

It's a tough business. And I have a degree in Food Service and Restaurant Management, previously, managed a major fast food restaurant, managed a successful family restaurant, and a high volume bakery. Before that, I worked almost every position from dishwasher, waiter, to prep cook.

The only way to open a restaurant is to have at least five years capital in the bank and be willing to lose it all. According to a recent study about failed restaurants by Ohio State University, 60 percent close or change ownership in the first year of business, 80 percent fail within five years.

I stood in line for an hour for Nakiryu yesterday and got the spicy noodle dish that earned them their Michelin Star, which is apparently more like tantanmen (Chinese noodles) than ramen.

I might not be the best judge because I’d never had noodles in that style before, but damn they were good. Yelp reviewers recommend getting the noodle refill option for your leftover broth and I’d concur. I don’t even like spicy food all that much, but these were amazing. Totally worth the wait.

I've been there once and tried to go again but it seems like they are closed for good :(

Inside Tokyo station, there is a very famous vegan ramen restaurant called T's tan tan.
There are some other places in Tokyo that have a vegan ramen option, but this one is the most raved about by vegs.

Here's a short video of the ramen you're talking about!

Okay, here's a prime example about why Jiro-style ramen is both fantastic and outrageous. I personally think it barely qualifies as ramen due to the amount of toppings that go on the noodles, but that's just my personal preference.

In this vid, this large eater takes his wife and kid to a Jiro-style ramen shop (not an official Jiro shop) and orders the most toppings of pig fat, veggies, etc. that he can get. You can't honestly tell me that promoting gluttony like that is good for anything. I feel for his poor son. He ain't gonna stay thin for very long.

The main event starts at 2:00.

Reactions: Ken1988
Okay, here's a prime example about why Jiro-style ramen is both fantastic and outrageous. I personally think it barely qualifies as ramen due to the amount of toppings that go on the noodles, but that's just my personal preference.

In this vid, this large eater takes his wife and kid to a Jiro-style ramen shop (not an official Jiro shop) and orders the most toppings of pig fat, veggies, etc. that he can get. You can't honestly tell me that promoting gluttony like that is good for anything. I feel for his poor son. He ain't gonna stay thin for very long.

The main event starts at 2:00.

That's not ramen. That is beansprouts flavored with ramen broth. Ramen is a soup, if there's too many non soup items on it to make it not a soup then it is no longer ramen.

Reactions: Maxblack