Best ramen

anyone got recommendations for spicy ramen in tokyo

or has anyone tried this place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrMsWztL1n8&ab_channel=MarkWien

If you want another good option for blow-up-in-your-mouth spicy ramen, the chain that's booming right now is 中本 (Nakamoto).
They serve Tanmen (vegetable ramen) with customization levels of spiciness. Unlike Karashibi in Kanda, this chain has people lined up out the door in a frenzy.

The have a shop in Shinjuku and other areas of Tokyo.

https://nakamoto.tokyo/tenpo/shinjuku/shinjuku/

This is the more traditional spiciness with the focus only being on heat.
Of course, the soup is bright red.

If you do go here, the spicy ramen on the menu is "北極ラーメン"

Here's a guy who's been training to take on their level 10.

Last edited:
If you want another good option for blow-up-in-your-mouth spicy ramen, the chain that's booming right now is 中本 (Nakamoto).
They serve Tanmen (vegetable ramen) with customization levels of spiciness. Unlike Karashibi in Kanda, this chain has people lined up out the door in a frenzy.

The have a shop in Shinjuku and other areas of Tokyo.

https://nakamoto.tokyo/tenpo/shinjuku/shinjuku/

This is the more traditional spiciness with the focus only being on heat.
Of course, the soup is bright red.

If you do go here, the spicy ramen on the menu is "北極ラーメン"

Here's a guy who's been training to take on their level 10.

i just remembered about this ramen joint... its from one of the mark wiens videos. the shibuya joint has a version thats half the spiciness, i think theres no way ill get through the orginal version. i really want to try. also im gonna ask for a lot more topping

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
i just remembered about this ramen joint... its from one of the mark wiens videos. the shibuya joint has a version thats half the spiciness, i think theres no way ill get through the orginal version. i really want to try. also im gonna ask for a lot more topping

For the one in Shinjuku, here's the full menu in text form.
You can choose a lot of non-spicy to mild spiciness options.

ラーメンメニュー
辛さ=0 塩タンメン 750円
辛さ=3 味噌タンメン 780円
辛さ=5 蒙古タンメン 800円
インドラーメン 930円
辛さ=6 五目蒙古タンメン 880円
味噌インドラーメン 930円
辛さ=8 味噌卵麺 880円
五目味噌タンメン 980円
辛さ=10 北極ラーメン 830円
辛さ=10 北やさいラーメン 930円

冷しメニュー
辛さ=0 冷し醤油タンメン 780円
辛さ=7 冷し五目味噌タンメン 830円
辛さ=8 冷し五目蒙古タンメン 880円
辛さ=10 冷し味噌ラーメン 770円

Not exactly Shinjuku.... But there is this place called Niwatori Tonkotsu Ichigaku (鶏豚骨 一學) in Yotsuya Sanchome the broth is amazing and great texture on the noodles. But a little on the pricy side. Plus they are open really late... I think they close at 04:00

ramen.png

Last edited:
Not exactly Shinjuku.... But there is this place called Niwatori Tonkotsu Ichigaku (鶏豚骨 一學) in Yotsuya Sanchome the broth is amazing and great texture on the noodles. But a little on the pricy side. Plus they are open really late... I think they close at 04:00

View attachment 9096

Yeah, they are right on the corner at the intersection so it's impossible to miss. Great innovative soup, as you said.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland

View attachment 9096

If you're in the Yotsuya Sanchome area, there is one particular ramen shop that is SUPER CRAZY popular, but no foreigners know about it because it's not in any magazines or mass media. The name is 一条流がんこラーメン総本家 or Ichiryu Ganko Ramen Souhonka. They are praised for their old school soup broth that blows your mind with depth and nostalgia.

True story, I have seen 50 people line up at this place 1 hour before opening and the lines do not reduce at any time they are open. Your only hope to easily get in is on a weekday after lunch hours.

If you want true old school ramen, this is one of the last places in Tokyo.

Last edited:
If you're in the Yotsuya Sanchome area, there is one particular ramen shop that is SUPER CRAZY popular, but no foreigners know about it because it's not in any magazines or mass media. The name is 一条流がんこラーメン総本家 or Ichiryu Ganko Ramen Souhonka. They are praised for their old school soup broth that blows your mind with depth and nostalgia.

True story, I have seen 50 people line up at this place 1 hour before opening and the lines do not reduce at any time they are open. Your only hope to easily get it in on a weekday after lunch hours.

If you want true old school ramen, this is one of the last places in Tokyo.

Ah, this is in Arakicho. I'll have to go in. I normally get sucked into the H2 int bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: RIDER 00
just finished my trip in japan... unfortunately asuka was permentantly closed.

i ended up with 3 spicy ramen
  • kikanbo karashibi ramen
  • nakamato ramen shinjuku (super spicy)
  • mensho San Francisco shinjuku (super hipster)

all was 9 outta 10 for me... all 3 were better than nakiryu in my taste. Probably the winner of the 3 is Mensho, since the quality was top notch. nakamato might be more satistifying flavour to most ppl tho.

Hanamaruken Namba Hozenji Might not be the best but my fav putty they don’t have any Tokyo stores

Hanamaruken Namba Hozenji Might not be the best but my fav putty they don’t have any Tokyo stores

The chain is based in the Kansai region, so none in Tokyo. The dotonbori area in Osaka has some great tonkotsu ramen spots to satisfy a late night or drunk hunger.

I thought the level 4 Ramen at Ippudo was spicy ..tasty and Fucken cheap. Obviously, I’m an ignorant first time visitor lol. Yum.