Can "yaritai" be used in this context?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
I know that "yaritai" means "I want to do" which can be used for various situations, including "I want to do (him/her)".

For example maybe if I'm looking at a woman flirtatiously on the train and she is giggling with her girlfriends and says "yaritai" it can't always mean "I want to do him" from their point of view.

Maybe they are putting themselves in my shoes and saying it to mean the opposite...that I want to do them?

My Japanese is improving everyday, but sometimes I will hear a full conversation and understand the general meaning but I won't be exactly sure of the context such at this type of situation.

Yes, I know people will say "yaritai" means they could have been talking about walking to do anything such as go to Disneyland or the mall, etc, but I'm saying in obvious moments where you are flirting with women and making eye contact with them and then they say this while checking you out.

if I'm looking at a woman flirtatiously on the train and she is giggling with her girlfriends and says "yaritai" it can't always mean "I want to do him" from their point of view.
Maybe they are putting themselves in my shoes and saying it to mean the opposite...that I want to do them?
If that's what happened, why put your ego in harm's way by making this thread? :unsure:
(sorry btw, my Japanese is not good enough to answer the actual question)

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I got the answer and my Japanese friend told me that "yaritai" means that she was talking from her point of view.

If she was talking from my point of view, she would have said something like "yaritasou".

I think that would be Yarita sou ni mieru. Or Yarita sou na kao o shiteiru.
There may be other ways to say this, but I don't think the speaker would say "Yaritai" if they were imputing a third party's thoughts.

Ah. You got the same answer from a native speaker. Well that settles it.

I think that would be Yarita sou ni mieru. Or Yarita sou na kao o shiteiru.
There may be other ways to say this, but I don't think the speaker would say "Yaritai" if they were imputing a third party's thoughts.

Yes, exactly.

Another way to say it would be: 彼がやりたいと思うよ!

I love how there are so many ways to say things in Japanese. It is such a flexible language.

I love how there are so many ways to say things in Japanese. It is such a flexible language.

Well that's one of the differences between highly context-sensitive language like Japanese and low context language like English.

Sometimes you just cannot decipher the meaning of some sentence without knowing the whole picture like what had been said before and what is the relationship between the speakers.

Sometimes you just cannot decipher the meaning of some sentence without knowing the whole picture like what had been said before and what is the relationship between the speakers.
Yeah, it can be nearly impossible to decifer the meaning without knowing what was said beforehand. Who knows? Maybe her friend had just asked her "Wouldn't you love to cut his dick off with a dull bread knife?" - to which she answered in the affirmative.

Are you absolutely sure you aren't just hearing voices?:rolleyes:

Or are you really that irresistible?:p

Oops, forgot about your roommate's inability to keep her hands and other body parts from independently pleasuring you ...:ROFLMAO:

Hmm, are you sure she's real? :D

Doesn't really matter.

We love these tales of seduction and tragedy.

I wish I could ride around on trains and overhear girls talking about how they would like to fuck me. Even if it was just wishful thinking, my life would be so much better. I honestly hope it is real for TJB, but even if it isn't, kudos to him for having a rich inner life.

I got the answer and my Japanese friend told me that "yaritai" means that she was talking from her point of view.

If she was talking from my point of view, she would have said something like "yaritasou".
they can also be affirmative about you being DTF and say "yaritai"

if they wanted to do you, you'd have made a thread about how you did both of them instead of this one

Yeah, it can be nearly impossible to decifer the meaning without knowing what was said beforehand. Who knows? Maybe her friend had just asked her "Wouldn't you love to cut his dick off with a dull bread knife?" - to which she answered in the affirmative.

Yes, highly doubt she said that specifically, but you just never know.

Maybe her friend said: "Wouldn't you like him to bang your ass out?" ....YARITAI! ;)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Are you absolutely sure you aren't just hearing voices?:rolleyes:

Or are you really that irresistible?:p

Oops, forgot about your roommate's inability to keep her hands and other body parts from independently pleasuring you ...:ROFLMAO:

Hmm, are you sure she's real? :D

Doesn't really matter.

We love these tales of seduction and tragedy.

If I ever write a book about my life...it will be in the nonfiction section...but confused customers will often mistakenly put it on a shelf in the romance novels section. :bookworm::whistle::love::hilarious:

they can also be affirmative about you being DTF and say "yaritai"

if they wanted to do you, you'd have made a thread about how you did both of them instead of this one

Are you sure? Because my native Japanese friend said "yaritai" is only used as an affirmative about the speaker and isn't used when you are affirming what someone else thinks or what you think someone else thinks lol.

I wish I could ride around on trains and overhear girls talking about how they would like to fuck me. Even if it was just wishful thinking, my life would be so much better. I honestly hope it is real for TJB, but even if it isn't, kudos to him for having a rich inner life.

I have a rich outer and inner life. I like my rich inner circle life on here too...and the inner circles of the women I meet. :eek::cool:;)

Are you sure? Because my native Japanese friend said "yaritai" is only used as an affirmative about the speaker and isn't used when you are affirming what someone else thinks or what you think someone else thinks lol.
the subject is contextual, I can only be sure if I witness the scene
with what you said and knowing your previous posts I'm not even sure this has actually happened

the subject is contextual, I can only be sure if I witness the scene
with what you said and knowing your previous posts I'm not even sure this has actually happened

Well, then why wouldn't she just say "yaritasou" instead of being ambiguous by saying "yaritai"?

Why intentionally complicate the conversation, unless she was trying to speak in the affirmative from my point of view without me thinking that is what she was doing?

I don't know the exact context, but she was definitely either saying "yaritai" in a way that means one of two things:

I want to do him.

He (yours truly) wants to do me (her).

It is hard to believe that a person would be so arrogant...especially a Japanese person to claim out loud that they think someone else wants to do them. I wasn't even giving her the look. I noticed her because her nonstop giggling with her friends, then shortly after overheard her say that.

Well, then why wouldn't she just say "yaritasou" instead of being ambiguous by saying "yaritai"?

Why intentionally complicate the conversation, unless she was trying to speak in the affirmative from my point of view without me thinking that is what she was doing?

I don't know the exact context, but she was definitely either saying "yaritai" in a way that means one of two things:

I want to do him.

He (yours truly) wants to do me (her).

It is hard to believe that a person would be so arrogant...especially a Japanese person to claim out loud that they think someone else wants to do them. I wasn't even giving her the look. I noticed her because her nonstop giggling with her friends, then shortly after overheard her say that.
yaritasou is actually a more complicated expression, it's yaritai+sou.
"yaritai", if she's talking about you, doesn't mean you want to do her, it means you want to do someone, like anyone. it's mocking rather than arrogant.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
"yaritai", if she's talking about you, doesn't mean you want to do her, it means you want to do someone, like anyone. it's mocking rather than arrogant.

As said without context we will not be able to know. Of course because it is TJB she definitely meant she wants to take him to her home and fuck him good. If it was me then the other girl would probably have said something like "with creeps like that wouldn't you want to smash his ugly face against the wall and then pee all over his dead body" and then the answer would be an enthusiastic "yaritai!".

I don't think "yaritai" could mean "I want to do him." when it's spoken out loud on the train or any public places. You might have missed "sore" before "yaritai". Then,"sore yaritaaaai!" means "I want to do that, too." which is a strong affirmation on somebody else's experience to the extent that she would want to do that, too (like, "I read Dr. A's secret diet master book, and tried out the book's new recipes. Look. I've lost 3kg!" "Yeeee, majiii, sore, yaritaai!" "ahahahahaha")

As said without context we will not be able to know. Of course because it is TJB she definitely meant she wants to take him to her home and fuck him good. If it was me then the other girl would probably have said something like "with creeps like that wouldn't you want to smash his ugly face against the wall and then pee all over his dead body" and then the answer would be an enthusiastic "yaritai!".
But that would be before they see the Beautiful One.