Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Genius

Votes: 24 68.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

warubuta

TAG Member
Reaction score
Most Japanese people I know think that Carlos would have gotten a fair trial. Most gaijin I know think, no, not so much.

Reactions: BB0523
In Japan he had to stay in prison then in secured house. that's fair for Japanese justice system. In France he would have stay free for about 10 years (maybe 20 years) until they decide to go to court.
I think he just try to go where he will get the lowest sentence, that's it.

They forbid his wife from contacting him. Most foreign guys in Japan I know would have paid good money to get that kind of verdict from the courts.
Ah ah , good one
I voted for all options
He was all this , in my opinion

I'm not close enough to the case and not interested enough. Being part French makes him a villain in any case.
The whole affair however sounds very fishy and it is outright impossible to look more unprofessional than the Japanese police/justice, let alone the very improper treatment towards him (no medical aid etc.). I know that Japanese justice system works differently, but he wasn't convicted of anything yet and we aren't talking about capital crimes either. If anything he cause some minor financial damage to a zombie he revived from death (hello Nissan).

Reactions: warattemo
Ah ah , good one
I voted for all options
He was all this , in my opinion

It looks like most Taggers think he is a victim and a genuis. My guess is that the average Japanese guy on the street thinks he is an idiot and a villian.

It looks like most Taggers think he is a victim and a genius. Also the Japanese tend to forget that when he came here Nissan was quasi-bankrupt. My guess is that the average Japanese guy on the street thinks he is an idiot and a villian.
Yeah well Im an average Tagger on the street then...
His escape was genius (also the revival of Nissan, though it was a collective effort of course, not just himself) the conditions of his indictment made him a victim (from a European viewpoint at least) , he was a villain given that some of the stuff he did was far from kosher (and I got that from sources very close to the situation) , and he was an idiot to have done them

Yeah well Im an average Tagger on the street then...
His escape was genius (also the revival of Nissan, though it was a collective effort of course, not just himself) the conditions of his indictment made him a victim (from a European viewpoint at least) , he was a villain given that some of the stuff he did was far from kosher (and I got that from sources very close to the situation) , and he was an idiot to have done them
I agree with this but I would say he is more a victim than anything else. This is a great example of Japanese tribalism at its worst. The Japanese hated him because he was a hairy foreigner who had power over one of the Japanese crown jewels. They couldn't see beyond this. Just as they couldn't see the sociopath despot behind the name Alberto Fujimori who was granted J citizenship in a few days to prevent his legitimate extradition for running death squads in Peru. Both of these cases show the world that Japan is a foreigner-hating, Japanese-only, Yamato-race, xenophobic, backwards tribal country. But the Buta is quite comfortable here....

Reactions: BB0523
I checked all four items on the poll.

This escape was apparently meticulously planned.

Fortunately, I have exclusive videos of the rehearsals that were conducted before the actual escape:

You clearly have a problem with taking decisions:D

What do you mean? He did decide to check four boxes instead of one or two so he is multiple times better at making decisions than your ordinary guy.

Reactions: Frenchy
His escape was genius

Maybe but I am pretty sure his part of the plan and execution was just to agree to pay for it.

But I am pretty sure the Japanese way to react to his escape is to remove the remaining trash bins from all public places.

I'm interested in this case only because Nissan hired him to help save their ass and to do that a JV was created .. Cuz we all know the stellar quality of French automotive products... Lol ,

He wanted to do more and this is when things start to go south ... I personally believe that his ego is the biggest hindrance ...He is used to doing what he wants where he wants and how he wants ...If he did fraudulent things then why didn't SEC charge him ...Me thinks bcuz Japanese board wanted their pound of flesh ... But their mistake was involving the keystone cops ... This guy made millions and has the resources to defend , bail and leave ... To a place with no extradition no less. .. Soo now Japan legal system will be revised and all of us passing thru an airport will now have to deal with some additional screening process. ..
Would it not make more sense to link MOJ and Immigration systems together ? Oh wait immigration is part of MOJ ...
The traditional Japanese inefficient offices hpractices ave been exposed and resulted in his escape ....Why didn't anyone open the large case if X-ray could not been performed ? My guess is cuz it's a private jet and only wealthy use them and Japanese didn't wanna impose on the customer.

Quite a brilliant plan I think. ..Especially since there are cameras everywhere in Tokyo ...Shows that they are not monitored so close and a BOLO was not issued . Nissan was paying for security... Rather than police . .Why is that ?

Anyway . .Charging his wife is the lamest shit I've ever heard of ... No more Japan for you Goshn and yr wife too :rolleyes:

Kind of reminds me of the ATM heist a few years back ....Never heard of anyone charged and next thing u know most places change ATM machines . .Cuz that will fix it :D:D

Carole is his second wife. His first wife is Rita who used to run a Lebanese restaurant in Ebisu. Well, probably Carlos needs a lot to pay for his ex....

Reactions: Majestyk
It is pretty obvious his wife was deeply involved in planning his escape, although the arrest warrant is for something different. The ex-Green Beret who ran the operation spent a lot of time in Lebanon and has a Lebanese wife just like Carlos. It is likely that Ghosns wife is the one who found him and contracted with his company. I also bet that Ghosn had one of those satellite phones and was talking to all kinds of people, including his wife, all day long. Press conference today, maybe...

This whole Ghosn press conference has been a good watch...

Reactions: e-smile
I think he did a good job with the press conference. He made lots of points on the "hostage justice" issue. He made Japan look terrible. He did OK on the conspiracy issue. He didn't do as well on explaining his innocence re all of the charges brought against him, but not bad. My guess is that this is going to help Kelly big time. Now that the world is watching, they are going to have to be reasonable with him. I also think that the liklihood of his being sent back to Japan has gone from near zero to zero.