Chances at receiving a bank loan with permanent residence?

With a good business plan, you can borrow, say, Yen 10,000,000, easily from the Japan Finance Corporation (a public finance body) with super generous terms. You have many chances ahead of you. Good luck!
I've done this. It's exactly as Ken1988 says. It was relatively painless and a great value if you have a good business plan and can start generating revenue after getting established.

Reactions: Sudsy
sure there are entry level jobs... not sure if maybe age is an issue there, though...

except for odd jobs, i would get my hopes too high, though... japan holds experience and degrees very high...

dont mean to encourage you, though...
i personally know one foreigner here without any degree, or experience, who manages to find jobs, though...
garbage dump, construction site, factory... even managed to get a translating job, but that was luck, because hes the only foreigner in his town, apparently...

Well, I hope they can speak English to that extent actually..., but American PR holder is actually rare. I hope you can make the most of it.

Rare as compared to what? There are something like 27 thousand Americans holding Japanese PR which is almost as much as the whole Europe combined.

While that number is nothing compared to our Asian brothers still them damn yankees are easily the biggest group of white boys with PR.

Now be an all American boy who speaks fluent Japanese and your chances multiply immediately.

Reactions: TAG Manager
There are people doing well in Tech that are self taught & didn't finish college. Experience works for them though. They built up their resume at good companies.

Rare as compared to what? There are something like 27 thousand Americans holding Japanese PR which is almost as much as the whole Europe combined.

While that number is nothing compared to our Asian brothers still them damn yankees are easily the biggest group of white boys with PR.

Now be an all American boy who speaks fluent Japanese and your chances multiply immediately.
Yea because Americans who speak fluent Japanese are rare. This is because they don’t live in Japan. They live in Roppongi.

Reactions: chaztagster
Does your town have a Burger King? Go there and get a job working along side of all of the Hapless Young Asians of Vague Origin. At some point I am sure they will invite you to live with them in their 2DK apartment 75 kilometers out on the JR Line to Nowhere. They have a shift arrangement. You will be allocated a space in one of the 2 six mat rooms with 9 other people. The good news is that only 5 will be in there sleeping at any given time while the others are working at BK. The other good news is that your rent will be 15k/month and you will get to eat some pretty good keema curry made with old Whoppers.

I would rather just move to Tokyo and find a full time teaching job than take up such an offer haha. I'm checking into non-teaching jobs now but if nothing comes up, I will save up for a future move to Tokyo.

There are people doing well in Tech that are self taught & didn't finish college. Experience works for them though. They built up their resume at good companies.

From people I met, those people self taught their computer/tech skill (programming etc) usually has a great interest on the topics and love it. They probably spend more time on the computer or tech topic (researching, reading, coding) than a college student. I wouldn't expect a random guy who decide to learn the subject out of monetary incentives has the same passion and will do well.

yeah exactly that... also they usually start way earlier... friend of mine didnt even have a high school degree and now has a high paying job... but he got interested in computers when he was like 15 and ever since he build those things... tinkering around first and so on, then doing odd jobs, eventually he got into a company that build computers for an internship, because at that point he already did it for a decade and was quite good, also had a few credentials already...

and that is how those things work... and not by randomly deciding “i do something else now”... takes a long time to get good at most things...
i try to do the same actually, in a field i longer practise than my actual job... but i honestly dont expect to make it in that... i try on the side and hope for the best... but often lack of experience just doesnt help much...

I brought up tech because it might be easy to relate to. We have no idea what TJB might also be into as a personal passion or hobby. He might have a skill set that he never mentions for privacy sake. My point is he should get out of teaching by doing something he’s passionate about.

always seemed like the only hobby was chasing women^^
but yes, i also
advise following passion, but dont advise dropping everything else, if you dont have enough money to support you and if it seems unlikely to succeed...
the tech example is of course good... its where a lot of jobs are...
i still stand by what i said (simplified version): once a teacher, always a teacher...