Guest viewing is limited

Comfortable living in Japan: How much per month?

70k a month??? Where was he living, in a park?

When I looked at apartments I didn't see too many below 100k (the title is comfortable living).

I guess that price range are 1room apartments and the area is near the final station of the subway? Guess comfortable living is defined differently by everyone, but a 2nd room really greatly adds to my comfort.

If you don't mind an older building, you can find perfectly livable 20-25 square meter one room places for under 40K within walking distance of Shinjuku station. I knew one guy who was living in a place that was 20K 5 minutes from Shibuya, but it was just a 3 tatami space, he literally had enough room for a futon to sleep on and storage for his clothes, and he had to plunk down another 5K a month for the local sento.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Here's a tip. Government subsidized housing, called 'Koudan' 公団 How's a 2DK for 45,000/month within 5 minutes walking distance to nearly any station sound? Occupancies updated in real time and bookings done over a network of offices nationwide, and open to gaijin, as well. No key money bullshit, either.

Your taxes subsidize it. Might as well take advantage of something you are already paying for.

I'd say that affordable apartments can be found in Tokyo. You fail to look at fine print and sacred ground. Others look at time and distance, while I look at eye candy next door. Haha! I rented a place just to continue a conversation with the girl next door. That cost me because of the pet clause. But seeing that eye candy daily was worth the extra cost. Now, cheap living can be done in Tokyo. It depends on the year and what's going on with the Econ. Osaka is like 50 percent cheaper than Tokyo. But if you had some patience, you could find the same price in Tokyo. Most are in too big of a hurry to find long term housing. I'd say live in a communal share place, get laid by the J-girl wanting to get knocked up for various "fad-related" reasons and while spending little money, search for a good quality, cheap apartment. 20k to 2mil is the Tokyo threshold. Some want to live frugal, some pay 0 yen and live off of company dime, others want a shag pad. The cost is up to each individual, to question how one did save money is absurd. The point is to say that you can find reasonable rent and still live well. Some search better than others, some get their J friends to help, some adventurers like me, will just sniff out cheap high quality living spaces. case in point, my colleague lived in an apartment that had the ugliest exterior, but inside was spectacular. Saw the pictures. We were talking about how to save yen in Japan in general. How many times have you passed up a mansion because of the exterior? I once did that to a crush, but in 2 years I'd see the error of my ways, on the other hand, 5 years later she returned to the state that was a turn off in the first place. I digressed, but spending a third to fifty percent on rent is absurd, unless your company foots the bill. Well ladies and gentlemen, I have warmed up my brain. Cheap can be found, but cheap might mean extra friends like roaches, ants, spiders, and leaches. My rent today is less than my rent when I first came to Japan. I got smart J friends that educated me on the game.

Hi,

Interesting question, indeed. For me it would be something roughly like this (per calendar month; rounded up values for utilities):

Rent: ¥165000
Electricity: +/- ¥4000
Gas: +/- ¥5000
Water/waste: +/- ¥3500
Internet (ISP + NTT): ¥300 + ¥5000
Mobile (SoftBank): +/- ¥8000
Commute: ¥6600

I rent good size 1SLDK a little further south of Naka Meguro (takes about 20 min. to reach Roppongi, for instance). I personally prefer quiet residential areas.

Not sure how much I spent in groceries. Sometimes I would cook, but often due to lack of time, I simply eat out.

To add, I work as professional at mid-career level in a Japanese company.

I tend to be a minimalist, thus don't spent much on unnecessary things. Well, having Japanese girlfriend is proving to be a rather expensive endeavour.

Black.

Here's a tip. Government subsidized housing, called 'Koudan' 公団 How's a 2DK for 45,000/month within 5 minutes walking distance to nearly any station sound? Occupancies updated in real time and bookings done over a network of offices nationwide, and open to gaijin, as well. No key money bullshit, either.

Your taxes subsidize it. Might as well take advantage of something you are already paying for.

My wife and I might need to find an apartment sometime next year and we might look into these.

Are koudan usually low quality, no space apartments or are they sometimes pretty good?

I will assume koudan also exist outside the Tokyo area?

My wife and I might need to find an apartment sometime next year and we might look into these.

Are koudan usually low quality, no space apartments or are they sometimes pretty good?

It really depends on the building. I haven't lived in one but I have a friend that does, and I looked at a few the last time I was looking for a place. None of them are going to be spectacular, I guess. Some of them are pretty old and have tatami mat rooms, etc. You're probably less likely to find them outside Tokyo since they exist to reduce demand and cost of living, which is a much bigger problem in Tokyo than smaller cities.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow

The quality varies- some are large, right in front of the station and literally brand new (and therefore expect to pay over 100,000/month, BUT without key money) and some are 20 years old and only 35,000/month. There are literally hundreds of offices scattered around the country all networked together, and occupancies fill up fast. 1K, 2K, 2DK, 3LDK- all sizes available.

The disadvantage is that demand is so high for some places that if you go out to take a look at the place, some other person will swoop in and grab it, sight unseen, while sitting in the office.

There are lots of koudan outside of Tokyo- especially in the suburbs like Saitama, Chiba and Kanagawa.

Invest 20 minutes into visiting one of their many offices and get the lowdown.

No agent fees
No key money
No contract renewal money
No discrimination
Hundreds of thousands of apartments available in hundreds of cities all over Japan.

http://www.ur-chintai-info.com/english/about/

Another way to save money is to become a PUA like Sinapse. Those guys cut down on clothing expenditure by not having to buy underwear as they never keep it on for more than 5 minutes anyway.

Would anyone know how much the lowest rate in Tokyo be for a one bedroom apartment with a decent bathroom? I have an idea but I want to compare with other info out there. Everything is expensive in Tokyo but you get what you pay for and the commuting is reliable.

I live 50,000 per month haha I'm a cheapstake and I like to save. I buy clothes only from recycle shop.

But how? And where?

I am genuinely curious. I wish I could have such low living expenses.

(Granted, Tokyo is actually cheaper than London, as per my experience; perhaps minus the public transport)

But how? And where?

I am genuinely curious. I wish I could have such low living expenses.

(Granted, Tokyo is actually cheaper than London, as per my experience; perhaps minus the public transport)

Live with parents, pay 50,000 for everything (bills, house, food) i live 45 mins from shinjuku, so a little bit country side. I am a minimalist with my standard of living.

Would anyone know how much the lowest rate in Tokyo be for a one bedroom apartment with a decent bathroom? I have an idea but I want to compare with other info out there. Everything is expensive in Tokyo but you get what you pay for and the commuting is reliable.

You can find many option in this web site, https://www.airbnb.com; you might already see it.

I don't have any experience but you can read the review from the guest.

Define "decent bathroom".

Koudan is generally refered to as UR Apartments. The online sites usually list places that are not available. It's good to get in touch with a Rep or go to one of their offices.
The company in the link above is an external Rep but they can have properties not listed. If you go to an official office if there's a place you really want to see they reserve it & no one else can take that individual apartment but the time is limited. I think it is just a few days.

Reactions: Wwanderer
40man for the house/utilities, 6man for basic boring food, 2man for groceries meant for breakfast/snacks, anywhere from .5-8man per night out...

Is this correct?
Either way is extremely high or low to me.
40man for the house/utilities, 6man

I live central Tokyo a bargain for rent would be 70,000 to 90,000 yen a month. Average would be 100,000 to 130,000 yen. (This is my area on the Yamanote line)

Reactions: just4fun
It's correct, 110sqm fully furnished, low rise, low density place