Guest viewing is limited

Condom use in Japan...

Maybe people can, errmm, not make silly assumptions about how sexually active women on birth control are?

Hoping that people would stop making assumptions about other sex lives? Why don't you wish something easier to achieve like...

tumblr_lp4r8dwJ6F1qcvv93o7_r1_250.gif

The statue is Jizo, the ceremony is mizukokuyo.

Jizo is a Japanese translation of Ksitigarbha. Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva (or Jizo Bosatsu) is believed to be the guardian of children in general, but most jizo statues function as "dosojin"(road ancestor kami) for general and casual prayers on the Japanese syncretism of Shitoism and Buddhism.

Reactions: wraithfive
Hormonal contraception is also used for non birth control related reasons like dysmenorrhoea, menstrual disorders, endometriosis, acne vulgaris, and hirsutism. Maybe people can, errmm, not make silly assumptions about how sexually active women on birth control are?

An ex friend of mine aborted a baby and she was so light hearted about the whole thing. Along with many other reasons I had to stop seeing her. I just don’t understand why someone can be so careless.. Abortion is not birth control, it’s a last resort..

The way they act/ shows to others does not mean exactly what they feel.
Must of time, I have to pretending I am okay even childhood friends.
I’m not sure about your friend, but I can guarantee you that there is no way woman has no trauma about all process to abortion.
Maybe abortion pills ( not allowed in japan) could be less trauma for the body but still not easy process.
Some people don’t want face the pain and that okay. People timing is different. Eventually we will have to face the reality and if need help there is therapy or if lucky good friend . ;)

Glad to see this is sparking some discussion after all.

Pills usually cost around 3,000yen and usually every 3 month

I'm not very familiar with the Japanese health systems. 3000yen is still less than many US woman would pay WITH insurance so to me that sounds very reasonable but is it uncommon in Japan to pay such an amount for prescription drugs?

Abortion is not birth control, it’s a last resort..

We all tend to project our own believes and experiences onto other people and cultures and it can severely impair our understanding of said people and cultures. That is exactly why I never even thought of abortion being available in Japan as a factor in the question about how can contraceptive use be so low and the birthrate declining. I don't say this in order to dictate to you about your own believes or who you should keep company with but rather to point out that I'm trying to, reasonably objectively, discuss how Japanese attitudes, beliefs, and actions regarding abortion, condoms, contraceptives, etc are affecting Japanese dating and relationships and the declining birthrate.

I don't want the thread to turn into an ideological debate about the morality of any belief or action.

An ex friend of mine aborted a baby and she was so light hearted about the whole thing.
Was this friend Japanese? Again, just trying to get some understanding of the Japanese feelings about such things and realized I automatically assumed you meant a Japanese person when you may not have.

There is a research paper on that. It's not something particular for the Japanese. The total fertility rate of Italy is almost the same as that of Japan.
www.jstor.org/stable/41110821
Good to know but I'm not paying $45 to read it. Having said that, the abstract pretty much indicates what I would have predicted for Italy. Based on that I don't think there is much that would be directly applicable or parallel to Japan.

If you find one that examines the same questions with a focus on Japan however, well I'm probably still not going to pay $45 for it still, but I might call in a favor from some student friends who have access to college libraries with active subscriptions to such papers to make some print outs.

Good to know but I'm not paying $45 to read it. Having said that, the abstract pretty much indicates what I would have predicted for Italy. Based on that I don't think there is much that would be directly applicable or parallel to Japan.

If you find one that examines the same questions with a focus on Japan however, well I'm probably still not going to pay $45 for it still, but I might call in a favor from some student friends who have access to college libraries with active subscriptions to such papers to make some print outs.

You don't have to pay $45 dollar. I think one of the main findings:

"(1) it has been possible to maintain low rates of planned and unplanned fertility without resorting to more effective contraceptive methods thanks to a careful use of coitus interruptus"

explains the seemingly paradoxical phenomenon. Coitus interruptus (aw, sounds like Biggus Dickus) is another name of the pull-out method or "cum outside".

You don't have to pay $45 dollar. I think one of the main findings:

"(1) it has been possible to maintain low rates of planned and unplanned fertility without resorting to more effective contraceptive methods thanks to a careful use of coitus interruptus"

explains the seemingly paradoxical phenomenon. Coitus interruptus (aw, sounds like Biggus Dickus) is another name of the pull-out method or "cum outside".

I was already aware of what coitus interruptus meant and loved that it was the best term the authors could find. But my point was that it was the only factor they mentioned in their main results that was even remotely applicable to Japan.

(2) the pace of diffusion of the pill and IUD was so slow because of the opposition to contraception of the Catholic Church, a gender system emphasizing traditional male and female roles, and a medical culture that made physicians reluctant to prescribe the pill for their patients; and (3) the contraceptive patterns of Italian women born after 1960 are more similar to those of their Western counterparts, although new peculiarities appear, for example, substantial reliance on the condom by people living as couples as well as sexually active singles.

The Catholic Church doesn't have a lot of influence in Japan as I understand things and the specific contraceptive patterns of Italian women probably had little to no affect on the patterns of Japanese women.

We also can't tell from the abstract how they weighted these factors or if they even tried to weight them. We can't assume that the order they are listed in implies how much impact they had.

3000yen is still less than many US woman would pay WITH insurance so to me that sounds very reasonable but is it uncommon in Japan to pay such an amount for prescription drugs?
That right. However if the person have some healthy problem insurance can cover almost all cost.

Interesting topic and replies . .. Many of the Japanese non-P4P women I've been with don't seem concerned about contraception or STD ... Doesn't mean I don't use . .But Me thinks the education system fails terribly about this subject matter ...They teach reproductive process but not anything about how woman body works. ..Male too I guess but no experience. .. :rolleyes:

The way they act/ shows to others does not mean exactly what they feel.
Must of time, I have to pretending I am okay even childhood friends.
I’m not sure about your friend, but I can guarantee you that there is no way woman has no trauma about all process to abortion.
Maybe abortion pills ( not allowed in japan) could be less trauma for the body but still not easy process.
Some people don’t want face the pain and that okay. People timing is different. Eventually we will have to face the reality and if need help there is therapy or if lucky good friend . ;)
:) Well.. this woman had multiple abortions from multiple partners and didn’t care about her health. On top this there were other reasons for me to stop talking to her. Unfortunately she changed and became a very toxic person. “Irreconcilable differences” it is. If it was just an isolated case of course I would be there to support her because what a woman does with her body is none of my business.

Last edited:
Interesting topic and replies . .. Many of the Japanese non-P4P women I've been with don't seem concerned about contraception or STD ... Doesn't mean I don't use . .But Me thinks the education system fails terribly about this subject matter ...They teach reproductive process but not anything about how woman body works. ..Male too I guess but no experience. .. :rolleyes:
I think the Japanese in general have some very skewed concepts of sexual health (or even just health in general). Odd considering how advanced the country is in other areas.

Of course sex ed is awkward as fuck in the States but at least we have it. They drill the fear of STDs and teen pregnancy into us with disgusting pictures and horror stories. I still remember that stuff from high school.

Sex education is actually compulsory in junior highs and high schools in Japan. The problems is the contents vary across schools (or local education broads). Some junior highs/highs teach condoms while others don't.

Sex education is actually compulsory in junior highs and high schools in Japan. The problems is the contents vary across schools (or local education broads). Some junior highs/highs teach condoms while others don't.
It’s more or less the same on the states. Almost every school system has some sex Ed but the quality and content varies by region. Highly liberal areas teach condom use and give lots of info about contraceptives and options. Highly conservative areas tech that sex is bad and if you have it before your married your genitals will painfully rot away. Most of the country of course is about 50\50 of each group so you end up with a weird compromise of teaching about stds and that condoms and other contraceptive exist but no about how to get them or proper usage.

Unless you are Indonesia, then forget about condoms and sex education because you are not going to be able to have sex before marriage very soon :p

If i can put some experiences i had (only 3 girls) 2 did start to took pill because of my request (they was actually thinking to be black magic and that they could get pregnant even if they were taking it as intended) and one did't care to use condom/pill and was on the mood of "if something happen, i'll be a mom".

None of them were willed to abort and they did have seen it as a really bad thing.
I don't know if that may change things up, but they were around 25-30 and from countryside

one did't care to use condom/pill and was on the mood of "if something happen, i'll be a mom"

If I ever meet anyone like that I'll put Usain Bolt to shame with my speed out of there.

S
If I ever meet anyone like that I'll put Usain Bolt to shame with my speed out of there.
Sadly for me, it was the best sex i ever had in my life.
And luckly, there were no "accidents" even in the long run of those 4 months of sex..