Constant stiff neck tight muscles in upper back?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I know this is a question for a neurologist and I have a neurologist that I have been visiting multiple times over the course of the past year.

I have taken a general neurological exam where my sensory and motor senses were tested and they came out fine. I have also had an MRI on my brain and a CT scan on my spine and nothing found in either of these.

The last time I visited my neurologist, he was insisting that I have no serious health issues and stressed that my symptoms are only muscular from bad posture. I also use my laptop everyday for long periods of time, but I make sure my posture is good.

I'm sure this neurologist knows what he is talking about, but to be safe I'm planning to visit another neurologist for a second opinion.

What bothers me is I always experience this stiff neck and the muscles in my neck, shoulders and upper back are always tight and on some days hard as stone.

I'm lucky my current roommate gives massages for a living because her massages are literally keeping me alive through this (it can be unbearable sometimes).

I also will notice that I sometimes experience non painful nerve sensations on the left side of my body (never the right side). I have experienced these nerve sensations on various parts of the left side of my body but they only last a second and they are off an on.

I have noticed my left eye and the left side of my tongue will experience these strange nerve sensations (not painful and not numb) when I'm stressed out which is almost never.

I know that a lot of serious autoimmune diseases often effect the brain which in turn effects the nervous system while other autoimmune diseases only attack the body and not the brain.

I'm trying to stay positive and not think too much about how bad things could be. I also have a good quality cervical support pillow, so unless I'm wigging out and whipping my neck around while I'm dreaming, I don't see how that could be causing all this (although I do notice it from the moment I wake up). It is always worse at night though.

I have been much more careful about my posture, but that only seems to alleviate the symptoms a little, never completely.

Is there anyone else on here that experiences these symptoms?

Last edited:
Sounds like you are stressed.
Have a beer, jerk off and go to sleep.
There I just saved you money on another trip to the doctor.

Well, I definitely hope it is nothing serious.

Do you experience these symptoms sometimes?

I experience this literally all day everyday but the degree of intensity varies from annoying to full on beast mode intensity.

Well, I definitely hope it is nothing serious.

Do you experience these symptoms sometimes?

I experience this literally all day everyday but the degree of intensity varies from annoying to full on beast mode intensity.

Not all the time but I do get a stiff neck and / or upper back if Im stressed out.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Not all the time but I do get a stiff neck and / or upper back if Im stressed out.

But the thing is I'm not stressed at all. Although some of my posts say otherwise, I'm quite an easygoing guy most of the time. Maybe the stress is subconscious?

Do you experience any of the nerve sensations while your neck and upper back is stiff?

I did have some childhood traumas, but I never experienced these symptoms until a few years ago.

At least there are people that can relate to the symptoms in general. So I won't assume the worst as I sometimes do.

Do you exercise regularly? If not, you should try adding this to your weekly routine. I used to experience severe lower back pains and some weakness on my right leg after I had my second child. I went to the doctors and after some physical testings, they also came to the conclusion that nothing was wrong with me. I also did physical therapy but that wasn’t too helpful either. I shortly started seeing a personal trainer and we worked on strengthening my core which was apparently quite weak. Now I exercise three times per week and is in the best shape of my life. My back pain started to slowly disappeared over time and now I am completely pain free. Good luck!

I also use my laptop everyday for long periods of time, but I make sure my posture is good.
Good posture with a laptop? The nature of a normal laptop (screen attached to keyboard) is not conducive to good ergonomics. Are you docked? Are you using an external keyboard and raising the screen to eye level. Or using an external monitor at eye level with the laptop keyboard?
Do you exercise regularly? If not, you should try adding this to your weekly routine.
Going along with Troilist’s comments, if you do exercise regularly is it balanced? For example back and chest (pull and push muscle groups) exercised in appropriate amounts. Or the typical guy mistake of doing too much chest and biceps? Also related, are you stretching out those muscles? In the extreme, think of the hunched forward power lifter look (chest muscles so strong) and then think of the hunched forward weak ass computer guy posture (no back muscles to pull the posture back straight).

Exercise will help but the simplest explanation for the situation that jumps out is the laptop usage. Buy a laptop stand (to bring your screen up to eye level), there’s portable ones available, and an external keyboard + mouse/trackpad (since your keyboard and trackpad no longer become ergonomic to use while on a laptop stand high enough for your eye level. Just my ¥2 opinion.

Good posture with a laptop? The nature of a normal laptop (screen attached to keyboard) is not conducive to good ergonomics. Are you docked? Are you using an external keyboard and raising the screen to eye level. Or using an external monitor at eye level with the laptop keyboard?

Going along with Troilist’s comments, if you do exercise regularly is it balanced? For example back and chest (pull and push muscle groups) exercised in appropriate amounts. Or the typical guy mistake of doing too much chest and biceps? Also related, are you stretching out those muscles? In the extreme, think of the hunched forward power lifter look (chest muscles so strong) and then think of the hunched forward weak ass computer guy posture (no back muscles to pull the posture back straight).

Exercise will help but the simplest explanation for the situation that jumps out is the laptop usage. Buy a laptop stand (to bring your screen up to eye level), there’s portable ones available, and an external keyboard + mouse/trackpad (since your keyboard and trackpad no longer become ergonomic to use while on a laptop stand high enough for your eye level. Just my ¥2 opinion.

I'm almost never up this late (insomnia once in a blue moon).

I actually have my laptop screen raised to eye level and I sit up straight when using it.

I also exercise regularly (3 times a week) but I need to increase my balance.

I work my chest, back, arms and legs but I need to do more core exercises.

Also even if I have my laptop screen raised and have good posture, maybe I'm just spending too much time on my laptop and too much time sitting down (when I'm not exerising or working) I'm on my laptop making music or using the internet.

Do you exercise regularly? If not, you should try adding this to your weekly routine. I used to experience severe lower back pains and some weakness on my right leg after I had my second child. I went to the doctors and after some physical testings, they also came to the conclusion that nothing was wrong with me. I also did physical therapy but that wasn’t too helpful either. I shortly started seeing a personal trainer and we worked on strengthening my core which was apparently quite weak. Now I exercise three times per week and is in the best shape of my life. My back pain started to slowly disappeared over time and now I am completely pain free. Good luck!

I never get lower back pains. It is always upper back, shoulders and neck.

Did you ever experience any nerve sensations or irritations on one side of your body when you suffered the lower back pains?

Reactions: Troilist
Forgot to mention, Due to work, I can be on a computer anywhere from 8-14hrs a day. For me what helped decrease shoulder tightness related to computer use, when it comes to pure consumption, especially non-work related, I switch to a tablet or my phone and get off the desk. Like browsing forums, that’s strictly a tablet or phone device for me nowadays. No more forum desktop browsing for me.

Another chime in for getting active. I used to get aches and pains in my back and neck, then I started hitting the gym. Now the only time I get aches and pains is when I overdo it at the gym, and usually that's in my thighs or abs.

I shortly started seeing a personal trainer and we worked on strengthening my core which was apparently quite weak.

This. Even the people who train regularly usually do it very unbalanced. Either it is upper body at the gym or running or similar exercises.

Thus you can still get back or shoulder pain or stiff neck. Strengthen your core muscles and things usually get much better.

I never get lower back pains. It is always upper back, shoulders and neck.

Did you ever experience any nerve sensations or irritations on one side of your body when you suffered the lower back pains?

I didn’t experience any irritations, only some weakness and stiffness/pain in my lower back. Although, the nerves in my right leg was significantly weaker in comparison to my left leg. As Acid Burn mentioned, make sure you foam roll your body after each workout especially around the area that you experience stiffness. If your upper back is stiff, it is most likely caused by the tightening of your pectoral muscles, so try rolling out your pecs. Another consideration is you might be experiencing multiple muscle knots. I’ve attached an article that explains more about this: https://www.tricitymed.org/2016/07/foam-rolling-getting-knots/

I also sleep on a round pillow which seems to help reduce the stiffness to my neck which can contribute to the stiffness to my upper back.
471C73F1-BA77-42D5-93F8-36B5E3B1BFA8.jpeg

I didn’t experience any irritations, only some weakness and stiffness/pain in my lower back. Although, the nerves in my right leg was significantly weaker in comparison to my left leg. As Acid Burn mentioned, make sure you foam roll your body after each workout especially around the area that you experience stiffness. If your upper back is stiff, it is most likely caused by the tightening of your pectoral muscles, so try rolling out your pecs. Another consideration is you might be experiencing multiple muscle knots. I’ve attached an article that explains more about this: https://www.tricitymed.org/2016/07/foam-rolling-getting-knots/

I also sleep on a round pillow which seems to help reduce the stiffness to my neck which can contribute to the stiffness to my upper back.
View attachment 9239

Foam rolling is an excellent advice! But personally I would do that before and after workout so you don’t make those stiff muscles stiffer with the workout. I’ve also noticed a huge improvement by just using the roller and recently also incorporated a yoga wheel (feels soooo good for the back and great for shoulder stretching)

Foam rolling is an excellent advice! But personally I would do that before and after workout so you don’t make those stiff muscles stiffer with the workout. I’ve also noticed a huge improvement by just using the roller and recently also incorporated a yoga wheel (feels soooo good for the back and great for shoulder stretching)

Yes, I love foam rolling and it’s a must after working out for me. I do light cardio before my intense workouts but I am bad at investing the extra time on rolling beforehand (I know, very bad). Lol

I just bought the yoga wheel from amazon. I can’t wait to use it!! Xx

Well, all good advice and most of it already part of my routine. It seems nobody else is really experiencing the strange nerve sensations on one side of their body like I am.

Let's just hope I don't turn into the next Stephen Hawking in the future...

Well, all good advice and most of it already part of my routine. It seems nobody else is really experiencing the strange nerve sensations on one side of their body like I am.

Let's just hope I don't turn into the next Stephen Hawking in the future...

Have you tried using a lacrossball like in this video?

(Her voice is super annoying but I like the ball and foam roller stuff).

Have you tried using a lacrossball like in this video?

(Her voice is super annoying but I like the ball and foam roller stuff).

Yes, I had a personal trainer for a while and used foam rollers and a lacrosse ball before. They both seem to only temporarily relief the muscle tightness (for an hour or 2 tops) then the symptoms come right back.

Has anyone ever bought any of those automatic neck and shoulder massage products such as the one below:

upload_2018-10-18_12-37-53.jpeg

Yes, I had a personal trainer for a while and used foam rollers and a lacrosse ball before. They both seem to only temporarily relief the muscle tightness (for an hour or 2 tops) then the symptoms come right back.

Has anyone ever bought any of those automatic neck and shoulder massage products such as the one below:

View attachment 9241

Hmm... then I don’t know what else could help... never tried this product tho. I guess it’s a TOFTT kind of thing? lol

I also will notice that I sometimes experience non painful nerve sensations on the left side of my body (never the right side). I have experienced these nerve sensations on various parts of the left side of my body but they only last a second and they are off an on.
What side arm do you fap with? On the topic of getting a balanced workout, depending on how hard and long you go at it, one arm may be getting a pretty good workout that the other arm just isn’t getting. Maybe switch hands for a bit and see if that helps. I sound like I’m joking but I’m actually serious on this suggestion. But the question/suggestion does come off as a bit funny. Lol.

I have noticed my left eye and the left side of my tongue will experience these strange nerve sensations (not painful and not numb) when I'm stressed out which is almost never.
What does not painful and not numb mean? Not quite sure I understand when you say nerve sensations. Your eye and tongue aren’t affected by ergonomics and muscle balance like the rest of your body is, so question, do you get migraines? You mention not painful so I assume that means no headache involved (usual migraine symptom) but you may be getting some kind of migraine aura without headache (I’m not talking about the typical visual and/or auditory auras you probably more commonly hear about). Try googling ‘migraine without headache’ and and the various migraine auras see if that fits what you’re talking about. Maybe that’ll help ID what you’re going through.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
All the advice given in this thread so far is bad and dangerous. I think you have some nerve compression in you neck caused by bulging disc. Pretty typical for men from 30 to 60 who have bad posture, too much computer time, not enough exercise. Sometimes it can be seen on the MRI easily, other times its impossible to spot. If that is what it is, massage and/or stretching won't help and might make it worse. As an experiment to test if it is nerve inflamation or irritaion of some kind, try taking a hefty dose of an NSIAD like ibuprophen or naproxen. If it is stiff muscles and pain caused by nerve compression, irritation or inflamation etc., then you will experience quick relief. If not then it is something enlse and will likely just go away on its own over time. The other obvious thing is to make sure you are getting enough hydration. Drink water. Dont go to acupucture or chiro or physio until you are sure it is not a bulging disc. Otherwise you could end up with a full blown hernia. And dont do yoga. It might make it worse. And yoga is for pussies anyway.

I’m very sorry to suggest this but you seem to be over analyzing your health issues.. I’m not saying this to offend you and I apologize if this sounds rude, but do you have anxiety or some other mental health problem? Maybe it’s better to address that first and focus on it.

Back on topic: I have highly benefited from a combination of chiropractic, hot baths, stretching and strengthening exercises.

I’m a bit afraid to give people health advice because I’m not a practitioner, so I’d like to note that you need to get your spine checked by an orthopedist before you visit a chiropractor.

Last edited:
I’m very sorry to suggest this but you seem to be over analyzing your health issues.. I’m not saying this to offend you and I apologize if this sounds rude, but do you have anxiety or some other mental health problem? Maybe it’s better to address that first and focus on it.

I have highly benefited from a combination of chiropractic, hot baths, stretching and strengthening exercises.

I’m a bit afraid to give people health advice because I’m not a practitioner, so I’d like to note that you need to get your spine checked by an orthopedist before you visit a chiropractor.
Generally agree with all of this. Except for Chiro which has been proven to be baloney.

Reactions: TheScientist
What side arm do you fap with? On the topic of getting a balanced workout, depending on how hard and long you go at it, one arm may be getting a pretty good workout that the other arm just isn’t getting. Maybe switch hands for a bit and see if that helps. I sound like I’m joking but I’m actually serious on this suggestion. But the question/suggestion does come off as a bit funny. Lol.

What does not painful and not numb mean? Not quite sure I understand when you say nerve sensations. Your eye and tongue aren’t affected by ergonomics and muscle balance like the rest of your body is, so question, do you get migraines? You mention not painful so I assume that means no headache involved (usual migraine symptom) but you may be getting some kind of migraine aura without headache (I’m not talking about the typical visual and/or auditory auras you probably more commonly hear about). Try googling ‘migraine without headache’ and and the various migraine auras see if that fits what you’re talking about. Maybe that’ll help ID what you’re going through.

Yes, I apologize as it is difficult to describe these nerve sensations. My nerves never actually hurt, so no sharp pains. I will just notice my nerves I guess aching for very short moments at random times each day.

I google migraine without headache and that could be one reason for it. My mother gets migraines both with and without headaches and she told me it is hereditary.

As for the fapping, no lie I hardly fap these days. I mostly just have sex but of course I do fap about once a week. I use my left hand never my right haha.