Guest viewing is limited

Consumption tax going up in October 2019

"Small and midsize businesses also may benefit from a proposal to offer consumers rewards points equivalent to 2% of their purchase when they pay by credit card or other noncash means."

In other words - they're trying to force small businesses off their cash-only models so that they can verify their revenue and actually tax it.

the wording ...

"Small and midsize businesses also may benefit from a proposal to offer consumers rewards points equivalent to 2% of their purchase when they pay by credit card or other noncash means."

... pretty much luring people to a more csshless society ... war on cash.

Reactions: cabbie and SugoiBoy
... pretty much luring people to a more csshless society ... war on cash.

It's a war on cash because these businesses don't declare most of their revenue. My friend that runs a bar in Ogikubo hasn't paid taxes in years - all cash business, no way for the government to prove he turns a profit.

Presumably, many businesses here do cheat on their taxes

I still remember a quote from one of the old timers I met when I first arrived here, a fellow who'd been here since the occupation.

"Sudsy, people will tell you that the Japanese national sport is sumo. They're lying. The real national sport is tax evasion."

War on cash is sad though, this is part of what makes Japan Japan. I hate to see any old culture dying.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Japan increasing consumption tax from 8% to 10% doesn't seem like a big deal considering my home country The Netherlands :D

VAT high tariff = 21% :eek:
VAT low tariff = 6% going to 9% next year :mad:
(Low tariff is applied to many common products or services, such as food and drink, agricultural products and services, medicines, books, daily newspapers and magazines)

I think a move towards cashless is the way ahead given the Olympics blah blah. I find it very annoying at times when I go to a decent bar or restaurant and they say cash only... But that's just me as I prefer.
not handling physical cash. And yes everyone should pay tax as it's not fair for those who do and are expected to support for those who don't ....

Cashless is the way the governments want to go all over the place. Next thing you are a part of the matrix.

Everyone pays taxes, it's just a question of how much. The worst part of VAT is that the poor pay more than the rich.

The worst part of VAT is that the poor pay more than the rich.

But the rich make up for it by paying more income tax... oh wait.

In the US I hardly ever used cash. I basically used my debit card for everything so maybe if something good comes from this it would be a more stronger debit card system like in the US.

And yes everyone should pay tax as it's not fair for those who do and are expected to support for those who don't ....

Taxes should be based on what you use not income and marital status. A single guy with no kids shouldn't be paying a higher rate than someone who has kids. Taxes should be lower but with no loopholes.

Reactions: Glock
Everyone pays taxes, it's just a question of how much. The worst part of VAT is that the poor pay more than the rich.
You mean as a percentage? The way you stated it is certainly not true anywhere that I know of.

Reactions: LeonGRAY
The poor only pay more VAT as a proportion of household disposable income. So yeah not true..

With your first sentence you tell how the claim is true and then your second sentence concludes it is not true. :confused:

Obviously we should first decide who is "poor" and who is "rich" and then also decide the way we calculate "more" and "less". But many studies do get the same results: VAT hits the poor much harder than the rich. In UK for example the poor pay VAT for 12.5 per cent of their income while the rich pay five per cent. BTW for disposable income that percentage would be even way higher for the poor.

With your first sentence you tell how the claim is true and then your second sentence concludes it is not true. :confused:

Obviously we should first decide who is "poor" and who is "rich" and then also decide the way we calculate "more" and "less". But many studies do get the same results: VAT hits the poor much harder than the rich. In UK for example the poor pay VAT for 12.5 per cent of their income while the rich pay five per cent. BTW for disposable income that percentage would be even way higher for the poor.

The not true was directed towards your previous post (wich is not true and misleading) but I was too lazy to put 2 quotes in the post.

You mean as a percentage? The way you stated it is certainly not true anywhere that I know of.

You're right. See quote below :p

The worst part of VAT is that the poor pay more than the rich.

Not true. The poor only pay more VAT as a proportion of household disposable income. They don't pay more tax.

Last edited:
Reactions: akasam
Not true. The poor only pay more VAT as a proportion of household disposable income. They don't pay more tax.

You don't seem to know what is the normal definition of "more tax" in this context.

Reactions: Muku1
You don't seem to know what is the normal definition of "more tax" in this context.

There are lot of things I don't know, but akasam is right. Poor don't pay more tax then the rich. Only in percentages maybe. But this sounds like arguing for the sake of arguing so I'm out.

Last edited:
Reactions: akasam
As a European used to 25% VAT it's not a big deal.

But for the love of good, it's time to force business to include the freaking tax on all price tags and menus.
Always confusing if your lunch will get 8% more expensive or not. If they want people to not notice the tags, they need to do like Europe and make sure all prices are always with tax included.

But for the love of good, it's time to force business to include the freaking tax on all price tags and menus.

They actually did used to require this. They switched over to making it optional again when they raised the tax to 8% - they will likely go back to making it mandatory when they go to 10%.

Too many shops and businesses complained that 8% was a hard number to work with.

notice the tags

I meant to say "notice the tax".

They actually did used to require this. They switched over to making it optional again when they raised the tax to 8% - they will likely go back to making it mandatory when they go to 10%.

Too many shops and businesses complained that 8% was a hard number to work with.

That sounds like a weird reason. They all have calculators anyway? Not that I'm that surprised.... Hope they make it mandatory again, the inconsistency makes it more annoying.

Reactions: Negi77