Guest viewing is limited

Consumption tax going up in October 2019

They actually did used to require this. They switched over to making it optional again when they raised the tax to 8% - they will likely go back to making it mandatory when they go to 10%.

Too many shops and businesses complained that 8% was a hard number to work with.

A ten percent tax could at least mean less fussing with those one yen coins.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
A ten percent tax could at least mean less fussing with those one yen coins.

I have a desk drawer full of them. Finally found a place to have any use for them, at a new supermarket they have automatic paying stations, now I just dump a handful in there every time I visit.

I bring 'em on vacations and give them to relatives' kids. :)

True enough, but some kids might really dig the five yen coins. Those holes are cool. Plus aren't they supposed to be lucky coins?

Anyway, if my memory serves me, I once got a coin with a hole in it from a relative who had visited Japan when I was a child. It was probably just five yen instead of fifty yen. Yet, the coin seemed so exotic back then. Little did I know at the time that I would end up living in Japan.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
True enough, but some kids might really dig the five yen coins. Those holes are cool. Plus aren't they supposed to be lucky coins?

Anyway, if my memory serves me, I once got a coin with a hole in it from a relative who had visited Japan when I was a child. It was probably just five yen instead of fifty yen. Yet, the coin seemed so exotic back then. Little did I know at the time that I would end up living in Japan.

Same here, got a bunch from my grandfather who was over here as part of a Canadian Armed Forces delegation.

The thing with one yen coins is you teach a kid to float one on the surface of a bowl of water, then give them a handful - keeps them busy for ages. ;)