Guest viewing is limited

Current Corona rules for tourists willing to visit?

In order to all you guys to have very updated situation....

I just arrived (yesterday's afternoon) via Haneda Airport from Chicago USA. I traveled with United Airlines, and it was a large airplane with a capacity of around 300 passengers and there were no more than 40 passengers in the whole plane.
All Japanese excluding a guy who is married to a Japanese woman.

Before landing you have to fill up three different documents, asking places where you were before arriving to Japan. Your address, phone number in Japan. Also who is going to pick you up at the airport, as all type of public transportation (train, bus, taxi) is not allowed for the arriving passengers. There are only two ways to leave the airport (renting a car or someone will pick you up in a private vehicle).

Covid-19 PCR test is a must immediately after you get out of the airplane. Test results will be send to you or they will call you in around a week.

If you live outside "Kanto area", you must do a 14 days quarantine in a designated place by a health officer. And all expenses must be covered by yourself.

If you live in Tokyo or Kanagawa for example, you have to do a self quarantine in your home. I have to stay and remain at home until the 25th of July.

Only Japanese nationals or someone who is married to Japanese woman/man are allowed to enter Japan at this moment. The list of forbidden countries is around 129 right now.
Thank you for your share.
I want to know how to test it? Nose or throat?
Don't have to wait at the airport for test result?
Thank you!

Reactions: SatoKM

I just arrived (yesterday's afternoon) via Haneda Airport from Chicago USA. I traveled with United Airlines, and it was a large airplane with a capacity of around 300 passengers and there were no more than 40 passengers in the whole plane.

Before landing you have to fill up three different documents, asking places where you were before arriving to Japan. Your address, phone number in Japan. Also who is going to pick you up at the airport, as all type of public transportation (train, bus, taxi) is not allowed for the arriving passengers. There are only two ways to leave the airport (renting a car or someone will pick you up in a private vehicle).

Covid-19 PCR test is a must immediately after you get out of the airplane. Test results will be send to you or they will call you in around a week.

If you live outside "Kanto area", you must do a 14 days quarantine in a designated place by a health officer. And all expenses must be covered by yourself.

If you live in Tokyo or Kanagawa for example, you have to do a self quarantine in your home. I have to stay and remain at home until the 25th of July.

Only Japanese nationals or someone who is married to Japanese woman/man are allowed to enter Japan at this moment. The list of forbidden countries is around 129 right now.
Thank you for the valuable information

Thank you for your share.
I want to know how to test it? Nose or throat?
Don't have to wait at the airport for test result?
Thank you!

Right after you arrive to Japan they send you to a restricted area in order to explain you very quickly the whole process of being admitted to the country. Also you present them the documents/forms that you fill up before arrival.

They give you a waiting number, you walk for around 150 meters into another room where there are 5 booths where test are made.

A full covered/protected (mask, gloves, goggles...) nurses attend you and explain exactly how PCR test are performed. They have a drawing hanged with a very simple self explained information.
First you have to partially remove your mask (only discover your nose) and they insert a long swab inside your nasal cavity very deep inside until it stopped and they turn around the swab for 5 seconds before pull it out from your nose.
I asked the nurse if the procedure is painful and she replied: "I will not call it painful just a little bit uncomfortable"
Such a liar! It hurts and it is very uncomfortable, you feel like drowning!

After the test, they give you a stick a code into a quarantine document with a pink color card. Results will be provided within a week (by email or phone call).

thanks a lot for the info. Uggghhh doesnt give any desire to leave Japan and come back :(

thanks a lot for the info. Uggghhh doesnt give any desire to leave Japan and come back :(

It's mandatory to wear mask the whole flight and inside the airport. I was feeling awful with my mouth and nose covered for a 13+ hours flight from America adding at least 2 hours at the airport.

Horrible experience!

Right after you arrive to Japan they send you to a restricted area in order to explain you very quickly the whole process of being admitted to the country. Also you present them the documents/forms that you fill up before arrival.

They give you a waiting number, you walk for around 150 meters into another room where there are 5 booths where test are made.

A full covered/protected (mask, gloves, goggles...) nurses attend you and explain exactly how PCR test are performed. They have a drawing hanged with a very simple self explained information.
First you have to partially remove your mask (only discover your nose) and they insert a long swab inside your nasal cavity very deep inside until it stopped and they turn around the swab for 5 seconds before pull it out from your nose.
I asked the nurse if the procedure is painful and she replied: "I will not call it painful just a little bit uncomfortable"

After the test, they give you a stick a code into a quarantine document with a pink color card. Results will be provided within a week (by email or phone call).
Thank you!
It is too painful, my god!

Here are some of the documents they give you before leaving the airport

_20200713_081204.JPG

Some people with Permanent Residency are coming back too. A good friend of mine just came back 4 weeks ago. That person is not married.

Regarding the NP swab, I always hear it said that if you don’t cry, they’re doing it wrong. Haha.

Regarding the NP swab, I always hear it said that if you don’t cry, they’re doing it wrong. Haha.

That's true! Some teardrops came out of my eyes. It seems that is quite common because they have some tissue boxes just right next to all the testing kits

Reactions: Acid Burn
Thanks China

Thank you Greater Horseshoe Bat.

upload_2020-7-13_11-22-30.png

You (apparently delicious) little bastard.

Thanks, bro, for the insight on the process. I heard that “rental car” can mean renting a car to drive yourself or getting a hired car & driver, both by hired car companies approved by MHLW for use by new arrivals.

Quick question - from the test area until the hired car pickup area, are we allowed to go to the arrival gate area after customs? Need to withdraw some money from the ATM, and maybe get a rental phone.

I heard that “rental car” can mean renting a car to drive yourself or getting a hired car & driver, both by hired car companies approved by MHLW for use by new arrivals.

I hope that's the case as otherwise anyone who doesn't drive and doesn't have anyone who can pick them up is screwed.

Thanks, bro, for the insight on the process. I heard that “rental car” can mean renting a car to drive yourself or getting a hired car & driver, both by hired car companies approved by MHLW for use by new arrivals.

Quick question - from the test area until the hired car pickup area, are we allowed to go to the arrival gate area after customs? Need to withdraw some money from the ATM, and maybe get a rental phone.

After they did the PCR test there are another check point where they re-check the information regarding the transportation method. My cousin pick me up at the airport and fortunately he was already waiting for me at the parking lot.
They made me call him and verify that he was going to pick me up.

I saw a family (4 members) that replied that they made a reservation in a car rental. I believe you must have a previous reservation at the rent car company and show to the officers at the airport.

I did change some money and rent a "pocket Wi-Fi". You are free to walk around the whole airport after all the check up has been finished.
I even had to find my cousin as he mistakenly confused the 3rd floor (departure) with the 2nd floor (arrivals)

Only 129? That still leaves a lot of countries and associated territories open to enter Japan from!
Maybe it's best to travel to Japan by season q nice yacht, fishing some tuna on the go. You could spend your 14days quarantine on the ship already pre arrival;)

I thought they would let you go to quarantine yourself at home if you have arranged the transportation regardless where do you live.

I thought they would let you go to quarantine yourself at home if you have arranged the transportation regardless where do you live.
I know of one person that needed to go to Gifu from Haneda - they said he needed to stay in a hotel around the Haneda area before departing to his final destination outside of Kanto.
And that's what he did, stayed at some mid-grade business hotel for 14 days and then went on to Gifu.

Reactions: SatoKM and MikeH
Looks like my trip to Japan will be a while away. The county here in San Francisco went back to purple and the governor is mandating a curfew to be indoors from 10pm-5am...

Good thing I've stacked up on wine.

Reactions: TAG Manager