Guest viewing is limited

Current (COVID) onsen protocols...??

Keihan

Teacher Of The Year
Reaction score
With omicron BA.5 surging in Japan and all over the world, it looks like a pretty safe bet that Japan will NOT be reopening to international tourism any time soon, certainly not this summer and most likely not before 2023. The prospect of a tourist-free Japan being too much to resist, particularly with our newly-earned double-immunity (boosted twice and recently infected), my other half will be having her koseki tohon shipped here and I'll be applying for a spouse visit visa at the embassy.

Other than having my asshole scraped by a middle-aged Korean lady in gloves and getting absolutely shitfaced in downtown Tokyo, one of my greatest joys in life is sitting drunk in a rotenburo in winter. I plan most of my trips around visiting different onsen.

So I'm wondering...what are the masking protocols right now at the onsen? Are you required to wear a mask while in the showers? Baths? Does it matter if it's indoors or outdoors? I know Japanese are even more OCD than I am about the subject but I'm wondering exactly how I'm supposed to take a proper shower and wash off with a paper mask on my face, and this could significantly affect my travel plans.

Also, what's the general atmosphere like in, say, Tokyo now? Is it like the last time I was there, where you could actually feel the panic in the air while walking around downtown? I'm guessing it's basically the opposite of here, where almost everyone has gotten infected in the past couple of months and there's a generally feeling of not giving a shit anymore. I was just at a very large political event with several hundred people and I would say maybe, tops, 10% of the people were masked and it was basically just for show. Even I was going around shaking hands and hugging people again, which I haven't done in two and a half years.

I'm not advocating anyone go out and catch the 'rona, but it's a very liberating feeling.

“Masks should be taken off when bathing in public baths

A quote from the Japan Guide.

I went to an onsen and it was a given that you had to wear a mask in public areas, but no one had one on inside the bath area.

Just read the onsen rules. That is the best way to find out the policy of each onsen.

Reactions: Keihan
Haven’t heard of any onsens requiring masks once you’re out of the changing room and into the shower/bath area.

I don’t think there’s much panic once you actually get out to the heavily trafficked areas, other than that people are still masked at least when not in a bar/restaurant. Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ginza, etc etc are are bumping again (took me nearly 30 mins to get a taxi at around 3 am coming out of a love hotel last Friday in Kabukicho). Old folks and the generally paranoid are still of course doing what they do.

With omicron BA.5 surging in Japan and all over the world, it looks like a pretty safe bet that Japan will NOT be reopening to international tourism any time soon, certainly not this summer and most likely not before 2023. The prospect of a tourist-free Japan being too much to resist, particularly with our newly-earned double-immunity (boosted twice and recently infected), my other half will be having her koseki tohon shipped here and I'll be applying for a spouse visit visa at the embassy.

Other than having my asshole scraped by a middle-aged Korean lady in gloves and getting absolutely shitfaced in downtown Tokyo, one of my greatest joys in life is sitting drunk in a rotenburo in winter. I plan most of my trips around visiting different onsen.

So I'm wondering...what are the masking protocols right now at the onsen? Are you required to wear a mask while in the showers? Baths? Does it matter if it's indoors or outdoors? I know Japanese are even more OCD than I am about the subject but I'm wondering exactly how I'm supposed to take a proper shower and wash off with a paper mask on my face, and this could significantly affect my travel plans.

Also, what's the general atmosphere like in, say, Tokyo now? Is it like the last time I was there, where you could actually feel the panic in the air while walking around downtown? I'm guessing it's basically the opposite of here, where almost everyone has gotten infected in the past couple of months and there's a generally feeling of not giving a shit anymore. I was just at a very large political event with several hundred people and I would say maybe, tops, 10% of the people were masked and it was basically just for show. Even I was going around shaking hands and hugging people again, which I haven't done in two and a half years.

I'm not advocating anyone go out and catch the 'rona, but it's a very liberating feeling.

You can also buy a special mask that are designed for onsens.

According to the Japanese government, there is no need to panic and they’ve advocated that it is okay to return to socializing without fear.

certainly not this summer and most likely not before 2023
This has been my thinking for awhile now, I really don't expect any real tourism until mid-2023 or later at this point.

We've been to a few onsens and the general rule has been -- In public areas, generally need a mask. Once you're in the changing room and bath areas, it's not required. Gyms are sort of the same - need a mask for most areas except locker room and showers, etc.

We've been out a lot more over the past few weeks and yesterday (Sunday) we had some sunshine for a change and everywhere was crowded. I'd say ~85-90% wearing masks outside... I didn't feel any 'fear' but you do see people that are ultra-germ freaks wearing latex gloves, double-masks, etc.

Some of the places we eat at had been taking down the useless plastic shields they had been putting on the tables (that we would move away anyway). Still lots of plastic dividers visible in a lot of cafes and restaurants though. Personally, we don't really care about covid at this point but we do things to make other people feel better. :whistle:

This has been my thinking for awhile now, I really don't expect any real tourism until mid-2023 or later at this point.
It's going to hit a point where other countries start restricting entry by Japan residents on retaliation. Then things will open up toot sweet.

Thanks, folks. That's what I was hoping to hear. I re-joined my gym the day after finally testing negative again, and it's basically masks "suggested" in the weight room but nobody wears one once they're in the locker rooms. I wear my UA mask while working out, just to be polite. They've dropped the indoor mask mandates around here and it hasn't resulted in the apocalypse that people (like me) were predicting, and the numbers are steadily falling each week. Seems like BA.5 was a quick one. Just trying to get in a vacation before the next one shows up.

Reactions: TAG Manager
While it is safe to go in to the bath without mask many places I have been still require you to wear the mask in sauna. And you cannot speak in the sauna, while in bath it is safe. Because logical reasons, I guess. :confused:

While it is safe to go in to the bath without mask many places I have been still require you to wear the mask in sauna. And you cannot speak in the sauna, while in bath it is safe. Because logical reasons, I guess. :confused:
The onsen and gym I got to, didn't have a mask requirement for the sauna but there is still global no-talk rule in the locker room and bath/sauna/pool areas. However, between both my gf and I, people still talk anyway until some staff comes in and bitches about it. The women's side was particularly loud...

That all said, those who are stuck with mysophobia, I've seen them wearing masks and gloves in the bath/locker rooms. If they are that concerned, stay home.

Last time I went, which was a couple months ago, nearby my home train station, they tell you to remove your mask before going into the hot bath area.

That all said, those who are stuck with mysophobia, I've seen them wearing masks and gloves in the bath/locker rooms. If they are that concerned, stay home.

I have a friend who's married with kids but would occasionally come out to visit us. I haven't seen him in two years. I never realized how neurotic this pandemic has made some people until he was forced to come out to meet a couple of our friends to deliver some of their personal items. They showed me a picture of him. He was wearing this:

multi-colored-3m-half-mask-respirators-65021ha1-c-64_1000.jpg

He was also wearing what looked like those extra-thick latex kitchen gloves that are normally used when cleaning with bleach, plus industrial goggles. I thought it was a joke but nope, it was real.

I actually own one of these masks from years ago, which I bought while having to do some home repairs involving unpleasant fumes and chemical foggers. If you think wearing an N95 mask all day is bad, this is an entirely new level. You seriously feel and sound like Darth Vader. I have no fucking clue how he manages this without permanently damaging his respiratory system but something tells me the end result of this is going to be far worse than anything omicron would've likely caused him. Interestingly, he's a former alcoholic turned Born-Again-Christian who passionately rages against the evils of alcohol. I'm just wondering if he wears this thing to church. He must be popular.

Despite all the rhetoric on the news about every new variant being "ultra contagious" and "highly transmissible," I'm beginning to have serious doubts about those claims and I'm obviously no anti-vax dumbass crusader. I say that from personal experience as well as the experiences of so many I talk to. The first variant, yes, seemed to spread like wildfire. We all remember the reports of one infected fucker going to a bar for drink and three days later, 90% of the other bar patrons test positive and half of them are in the hospital. It just doesn't seem like omicron is as transmissible, or perhaps it might be but it's so mild that so many don't even realize they have it.

Perfect example, one of my colleagues has a son who lives at home. They are a very close-knit family and nobody wears masks at home. The son was feeling odd one day, the next day he tested and was positive. The rest of the household goes into DEFCON 4, each person hiding in a separate room for five days and testing every morning. Nobody else caught it.

Two of my employees, same situation, and they live in rather small corporate apartments (800sf, 2 bedroom units). Household member brings it home, they try to isolate but it's not really possible in such a tiny place, nobody else gets infected.

And then there's my case. Once I knew my entire household other than myself was infected, I WANTED that shit for the super immunity. I did everything, and I mean EVERYTHING I could think of, to infect myself. I tried, and tried, and tested every morning and was completely bummed out when I got the negative every time. It took me a week and a half of borderline insane techniques before I finally got that faint positive line on my home test, and then basically another week waiting around before I got a clear positive result and even a hint of any symptoms. But who knows...maybe it moves slowly, or maybe that unauthorized second booster I talked my way into did its job.

But I think I'll actually enjoy the no-talking rules in the onsen. Nothing spoils a nice bath like a couple of disgusting old fuckers sitting near me at Spa World, squawking and hollering in Osaka-ben like the classless shits they are.

Reactions: leducul
It's going to hit a point where other countries start restricting entry by Japan residents on retaliation. Then things will open up toot sweet.
It's self inflicted by Japan, I don't see any incentive for other countries to "retaliate"... More tourism for them.

It's self inflicted by Japan, I don't see any incentive for other countries to "retaliate"... More tourism for them.
Pride can be a motivation sometimes
Korea requests visas for Japanese visitors now. Not for EU or US visitors

No masks in baths, but aside from that it's still 90-95% masks everywhere, all the time, indoors and out. I honestly am not sure if it's ever going to end here. There seems to be no desire among the people to move on from the pandemic.

No masks in baths, but aside from that it's still 90-95% masks everywhere, all the time, indoors and out. I honestly am not sure if it's ever going to end here. There seems to be no desire among the people to move on from the pandemic.
There was a survey done awhile back. A lot of those surveyed planned on to keep on wearing masks anyway. Women in particular, because it makes them 'cuter' and they can skip full-makeup.
I've personally stopped using masks as much as I can, particularly outdoors. For the places that require it and/or those with close contact with people I don't know, then I'll use one.
Restaurants -- mask on entry, but since as you hit the table, it's off and nobody cares.

Masks were always a norm here, but the societal pressure on the matter is crushing, at least for Japanese natives.

There was a survey done awhile back. A lot of those surveyed planned on to keep on wearing masks anyway. Women in particular, because it makes them 'cuter' and they can skip full-makeup.
I've personally stopped using masks as much as I can, particularly outdoors. For the places that require it and/or those with close contact with people I don't know, then I'll use one.
Restaurants -- mask on entry, but since as you hit the table, it's off and nobody cares.

Masks were always a norm here, but the societal pressure on the matter is crushing, at least for Japanese natives.

In the streets I see more people not wearing it though. Ok , maybe it went from 0% to 5% but still. And I don’t feel there is any ostracism against them. Not wearing it in shops or trains however is stil a no-no.

I doubt anyone will openly harass someone these days for not wearing a mask outside. Inside is a different story. But anyone not wearing one outside is still going to attract a lot of looks and attention. If you care anything about maintaining a low profile you would still wear a mask everywhere. BTW at my gym it’s only permissible to remove your mask in the shower itself.

Reactions: Cinnabums
I can understand multiple reason for girls to keep wearing masks.....

I can understand multiple reason for girls to keep wearing masks.....
I can think of one big one for certain select individuals....

The same reason I keep mine on.....

Reactions: just4fun and MikeH
During the peak of COVID, I overheard 2 young Japanese guys in Kabukicho - clearly versed in the ways of street nampa - decrying and lamenting over the pitfalls of the mask bijin. マスク美人. Meaning the gals who look attractive with the mask on but off quite a different story.

Now when I was more in the nampa game, I never had to deal with the masks but the bras were
a different story. Shirt and bra off and what clearly was E or F sized and shaped while clothed all of the sudden became a B and I am left holding quite a substantial weight of bra. But it was all good fun. Like a treasure hunt. Never know really what ur gonna find until it’s unwrapped and in your face.

Shirt and bra off and what clearly was E or F sized and shaped while clothed all of the sudden became a B

You never understood why they call it a Wonderbra?

Because you take it off and then you wonder where their tits went.

Whats actually the problem with wearing a mask? Im so indifferent to it but seems lots of (mainly foreign, middle or older age men) seem to take it as a personal affront and threat to their life, liberty and freedom.

I got sucked into a black-hole of commemts on linkedin recently. All angry mediocre western guys claiming they know more about the virus than anyone else and that we dont need to wear masks and people who wear masks are all sheep.

Its such a strange thing to care that much about.

Reactions: Pudding and MikeH
During the peak of COVID, I overheard 2 young Japanese guys in Kabukicho - clearly versed in the ways of street nampa - decrying and lamenting over the pitfalls of the mask bijin. マスク美人. Meaning the gals who look attractive with the mask on but off quite a different story.

Now when I was more in the nampa game, I never had to deal with the masks but the bras were
a different story. Shirt and bra off and what clearly was E or F sized and shaped while clothed all of the sudden became a B and I am left holding quite a substantial weight of bra. But it was all good fun. Like a treasure hunt. Never know really what ur gonna find until it’s unwrapped and in your face.

There’s a study somewhere about mask-bijin and how unattractive people (i think both sexes but maybe just women) are more attractive with a mask but attractive people are less attractive with a mask.

Airi at AM was like that. With the mask on she looks like she could be stunning, but mask off she’s kinda average (not ugly, just not as cute as you’d think)

You never understood why they call it a Wonderbra?

Because you take it off and then you wonder where their tits went.
I once took a girl home from Muse, and after she took off her bra i asked her to put it back on and she did. I still feel bad about doing that. In my defense Id had about 7 of those long island iced teas they serve there and the only way i was gonna get any semblance of a hard-on in order to give her what she came for was with that bra securely on.