Guest viewing is limited

Customs inspection at airports

Sweetpotato

TAG Member
Reaction score
Kind of a random question, but has anyone ever got their bags searched by customs at Narita/Haneda/<japanese airport>? After 10 years with maybe 5-10 entries per year, I've yet to have anyone ask me to open my bag. Even those times when it looks like they are searching through almost everyone, I'm still waved through.

Someone told me if you're coming in from for example PRC, Taiwan or Hong Kong (among others) you are much more likely to be searched. While I haven't been to mainland China, coming back from Taiwan or Hong Kong went fine.

Any similar observations?

I’ve had it happen a couple of times and the last time i accidentally put my underwear on the sides of the suitcase. So when the customs officer opened it, everything landed on his hands :rolleyes:
It’s not a bad thing usually when they take a look (imo tho...)

Yes, I've experienced a woman customs officer going through my bag at Haneda.
probably because i wasn't dressed very well and i had many entry stickers in a short period (drug smuggler?).
I had other visits after that (usually coming in from singapore or australia) without being searched or asked questions. I was dressed a little neater in those cases though.

I think it's really dependent on the day and particular customs officer you pass through.

And no, i didn't really see Chinese tourists being targeted at customs. they do tend to hold up the immigration lines though.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland

Yeah, it's not that I think it's bad, I'm just curious. Although there is that one time when you have a train or a buss leaving in five minutes and you're really really hoping customs won't be so curious about your belongings.

Yes, I've experienced a woman customs officer going through my bag at Haneda.
probably because i wasn't dressed very well and i had many entry stickers in a short period (drug smuggler?).
I had other visits after that (usually coming in from singapore or australia) without being searched or asked questions. I was dressed a little neater in those cases though.

I think it's really dependent on the day and particular customs officer you pass through.

And no, i didn't really see Chinese tourists being targeted at customs. they do tend to hold up the immigration lines though.

I suppose it's really up to the officer. Maybe dressing up and having a smaller suitcase with a priority tag helps.

I’ve had it happen a couple of times and the last time i accidentally put my underwear on the sides of the suitcase. So when the customs officer opened it, everything landed on his hands :rolleyes:
Same. My underwear fell out last time i traveled and the guy had to hand it over to me.

I have once earlier last year at Narita via HNL.
They just asked in broken english may we look inside your bags.
Said, yes.
They didn’t ask why. After 10 minutes they said Thank you. And, I went on mu merry way.

They honestly have already x-rayed and run electronic sniffer tests on everyone's bags below decks. The people whose bags are found to have something worth investigating are picked up at passport control and taken to a secure area.

Most of the people that get their bags opened on the concourse are simply chosen at random for a show of security theatre.

I would guess that I'm asked to open my bags 10% to 20% of the time. I haven't noticed any pattern. It happens regardless of how smartly dressed I may be / how small my luggage may be / what visa status I have / what countries I have visited.
The "inspection" is pure performance, as Sudsy said. But it hardly takes any time, so it's very low down on the list of things that bother me.

I have arrived at Narita over a 100 times and Haneda a few too and have never been asked to open my bags. They frequently contain sex toy presents too. I look fairly respectable and dull/old though and have most often been coming in from the US.

-Ww
I've never been asked to open my bags when coming in from the US. Frequently when arriving from Canada or Australia.

I get searched nearly every time. It's often just perfunctory, just one bag.

Reactions: hardharry
His avatar, especially its nose, make me think undercover cop. :D

-Ww

Reminds me of the time this cute lady cop pulled me over and slammed me up against the car, slapped the cuffs on, and then told me anything I said would be held against me....

So I said, "Your tits."

She was not amused.

Shift change has a lot to do with it sometimes also.

Reactions: Wwanderer
I am often off the plane and thru immigration and on the train within 45 minutes of the plane getting to the gate.

I go thru the auto gates for immigration and luggage is either non existent or off first (yes I'm a pointy end of the plane wanker)

Respect. Like Clooney in Up In the Air

Once, on my very first trip. At the time my hair was halfway down my back, and I looked like a hippy, so I don't blame them. Since then I've traveled through at least a 20 times in the last 15 years and have never had an issue, even when I came back from HK.