Cycling in Tokyo

iopani

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I will be visiting Tokyo for the first time next week. I was wondering if cycling is allowed in the city as a mode of transportation? If yes, anyone knows of a rental place where i can rent a bike for one week?

Don't know any rental places beyond the hourly rentals near the palace, but cycle commuting is completely legal and not unusual. We have one guy in our office who does 30 km each way, every day, rain or shine.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Don't know any rental places beyond the hourly rentals near the palace, but cycle commuting is completely legal and not unusual. We have one guy in our office who does 30 km each way, every day, rain or shine.
obamacare-parody.jpg

Hey guys

I will be visiting Tokyo for the first time next week. I was wondering if cycling is allowed in the city as a mode of transportation? If yes, anyone knows of a rental place where i can rent a bike for one week?
it's allowed and very usual.

I found this for you and it says 1000 yen a day. for a week it would be 7000 yen and for that price you can buy a used one.

as mentioned ... it's perfectly fine to use a bicycle. but as a visitor it's the small nuances of cycling in Japan that will get you.

- navigation will be one issue ... looking down on your phone whilst cycling is a good recipe for a collision.

- other cyclists on your side of the road ... stay left when in JA roads.

- the risk of JA rozzers stopping you to check the bike registration. this is normal here.

- bike parking can be an issue in some locations.

if you're staying in a hostel ask them for rental recommendations.

http://www.gsastuto.com/japan-bike-rental also rents ... high-end stuff though

- the risk of JA rozzers stopping you to check the bike registration. this is normal here.
especially when you're a gaijin right ?

also since recently it's forbidden to use earphones while on a bike

also since recently it's forbidden to use earphones while on a bike

If by recently you mean since shortly after the invention of the walkman.... :D

It was illegal when I first came here in the 80s... this I know because I got pulled up for it!

Reactions: impish
really ? maybe it was abandoned after that as there was a fuss about it when they announced the prohibition a couple of years ago :
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/06/29/reference/law-gets-serious-cycling-safety/

Most of those weren't newly illegal, they just tacked on some serious fines - up to 50K yen for mundane things that were previously 10K or less - and introduced a ticketing system and "re-education" programs.

You can also get prison time for stuff at this level now - no joke - though that's usually reserved for people who cause accidents with injuries.

http://law.jablaw.org/Penal_Regulations

Headphones fall under failure to ride in a safe manner (安全運転義務違反)

Wow, thanks for all the suggestion guys

I would have to point out that previously i cycled in the city of kyoto, so i am not too concerned about getting lost. (Been taught to navigate through a rainforest with compass and map. Urban navigation is a piece of cake compared to that)

Plus i have a habit of not using my phone while on the move, even when driving. So you wont fine me wearing earphones, especially in a place where i am not familiar.

Question though, what are JA Rozzers?

especially when you're a gaijin right ?

Actually the opposite. Cops are usually tired of their shit already enough not to stop foreigners and take the risk of being forced to communicate in English.

I cycle back from drinking sessions pretty regularly so in the middle of the night and intoxicated and I have never been stopped for any reason. And yes, I have cycled through several bike check spots where they are stopping all Japanese cyclists.

Renting is the best option if you're a tourist. Even if a used bike is cheaper they won't sell unless you have a license. Kind of like some countries with TV license laws won't sell you a TV without seeing your valid license.

Even if a used bike is cheaper they won't sell unless you have a license. Kind of like some countries with TV license laws won't sell you a TV without seeing your valid license.

Woooot? Please let me know what you are smoking as it seems to be pretty good. I have been drinking since lunch today but still haven't reach that kind of stage yet.

But can confirm the pickings are not very tempting at daytime here. Should probably decise soon if I am going home now or with the first train.

Renting is the best option if you're a tourist. Even if a used bike is cheaper they won't sell unless you have a license. Kind of like some countries with TV license laws won't sell you a TV without seeing your valid license.
are we talking about bicycles or motorbikes ?

Reactions: MikeH
Bicycles! Heard it firsthand from a bikeshop while helping an American friend on a tour of duty at Yokosuka look for a bike.

Bicycles! Heard it firsthand from a bikeshop while helping an American friend on a tour of duty at Yokosuka look for a bike.

Well, it just ain't true. You don't need any kind of licence or any other paper except money to buy a bicycle in Japan. Just go to any bigger supermarket and buy one.

I have bought at least half a dozen during my time and last one a year ago.

Well, it just ain't true. You don't need any kind of licence or any other paper except money to buy a bicycle in Japan. Just go to any bigger supermarket and buy one.

I have bought at least half a dozen during my time and last one a year ago.

*shrug* It's what I was told, dude ended up getting a loan to buy a small car instead since he couldn't find a place that would sell him a bike.

Even if a used bike is cheaper they won't sell unless you have a license.

You're talking about a bicycle and not a motorcycle right? Because they sure didn't ask me for anything when I've bought my bicycles other than identification. When I was here in 2002 I used my passport, and gave them the address I was temporarily living at to register the bike, no issue at all. No license required.

Yes it was a bicycle like I said. Guess the people in Yokohama don't want to sell bikes to foreigners.