D&D in Tokyo

I agree. How about it @DanniCake ? Wanna DM TAGs first online AD&D session? :):geek:

If people are interested I could start a new thread and do just that. Would the mods/TAG Management be okay with that?

Really I was thinking of having anyone interested meet me in a Karaoke room/Love hotel that allows for groups and playing that way but this allows people who aren't in Tokyo/Don't have a full 8hr's of free time to still play.

Reactions: AMcguyver and BIPSY
I might be interested... depends on what version and rules we are going to play and how many people will be involved. I will be back to Tokyo mid-August, stay in touch if you will be still on this. Thanks

Really I was thinking of having anyone interested meet me in a Karaoke room/Love hotel that allows for groups

Say what? There is so much better things to do in love hotels than that.

I mean many of them are equipped with Playstation 2s.

If people are interested I could start a new thread and do just that. Would the mods/TAG Management be okay with that?

Ditto - depending on the ruleset and regularity I'd be down to give it a shot on the forum. That would be pretty fun, actually.

I do have a few questions to anyone wanting to play online.
-Which version would you like to play? I'm most familiar with the 5th edition but if someone wants to get me the books I'd use any older edition as well.
-> For the most part I'm going to be using a sort of abbreviated version which is a little loose on the "rules" since I'm making my own story for this, either way let me know what you'd rather lean towards if you'd like to be dedicated to play

-Would you all like to start off from level 1 or would you rather roll at a higher level? I can scale the game to whatever level you are considering I'm planning this as just a one-shot game instead of a continual one I'd agree for people to be able to go as high as level 5, but I do want everyone to start with just the basic starting gear.

-I've never played D&D online so how would you like to do this? Would everyone start with an initiative roll on what order they can post in and we just take turns one by one, or shall we "First come first serve" posts and I designate a time in which "Play" takes place and only battles are based on initiative, and if people want to meta/background roleplay they can do that via direct message to each other or in a secondary RP forum?

-I DO Kind of want to add a sexy element to this, and maybe some prizes, which is why I originally wanted to play in a Karaoke room/Love Hotel/Happening Bar wouldn't that be just the funniest thing to have a D&D group going there... Like there were a few battles I was thinking that some light LARPing would be fun. Leave that up to you guys or we can just see if you survive this encounter and can even get to the really "fun" bits.

Reactions: AMcguyver
I can't talk too much about the "Sexy bits" I wanted to add to the game without revealing too much about where I'm going with the story but lets just say that there are some NPC's in the game that if you roll right then we could be LARPing some fun events while playing.

And I'd also allow for Bribing the DM to get re-rolls, inspiration, or the in-game purchase of equipment that you don't usually have.

Reactions: AMcguyver
I remember AD&D from the 80s as well as lots of other RPGs but dont have the time or enough interest to seek out a group for that these days.

For those of you with the old school RPG nostalgia but not a lot of time, I understand that Steve Jackson Games is soon to be doing a kickstarter for a reprint of The Fantasy Trip (Melee & Wizards) which was much better suited to quick adventures and can also be longer campaigns but without all the rules lawyering that seems to be part of AD&D.

Roll & Role Station in Akihabara has a boardgame night every Friday from 6 or 7. Pay like 300yen to use their rental space as opposed to 2000yen that it normally is. You can bring your own too. They have an "Adventurers Club" too during the week, I'm not sure if you have to bring your own group or they just let people DM for pickup games.

I also walked past a handwritten sign stuck on some random building about a boardgame club close to the largest of the three family marts in Akiba. Not sure what it is about.

I do have some interest in hex map & counter wargaming but hesitate to be too specific here about it. The thing is I cringe when I go to that area. If only you'd taken a picture of that handwritten sign.

Almost all my own TRPG experience is with CoC but if we settled on a ruleset I'd totally be down to pick up a book and give myself a crash course.
We never played D20 rules but I'm pretty familiar with that ruleset so the learning curve would be a little less steep.

Also totally cool with whatever kind of level setting or equipment setting the DM decided on.

The only thing on my side is I'd probably only be able to play online and with a time offset - my work schedule is basically the polar opposite of the regular workday so I usually only have time in the middle of the night or during weekday afternoons. Nights and weekends I'm usually tied up.

Reactions: DanniCake
Had to get something for a client in Akihabara decided to check Role & Roll. They have a Wednesday night D&D event but the real action seems to be at Yellow Submarine which even had some of the old AD&D books in English

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
This has interested me for a while. Is it hard for a newbie to learn? The only D&D stuff I've done really is computer games, and i'm sure that's not even similar.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
This has interested me for a while. Is it hard for a newbie to learn? The only D&D stuff I've done really is computer games, and i'm sure that's not even similar.

Yes.... And no?

It's a lot of reading to get to know your race and class and how you interact with things, if you have a patient DM or a DM running a loose game (Like I tend to do because honestly I don't want to calculate everyones encumbrance or make sure you're all carrying the right ingredients to cast every single spell) you can drop in and pick up pretty quick if someone gives you a dumbed down run-down of everything but there's just a continual learning process, Learning about each class, learning about the world, learning about all the monsters.

And then throwing all that knowledge out the window because DM house rules decides they don't wanna play that way.

Yes.... And no?

It's a lot of reading to get to know your race and class and how you interact with things, if you have a patient DM or a DM running a loose game (Like I tend to do because honestly I don't want to calculate everyones encumbrance or make sure you're all carrying the right ingredients to cast every single spell) you can drop in and pick up pretty quick if someone gives you a dumbed down run-down of everything but there's just a continual learning process, Learning about each class, learning about the world, learning about all the monsters.

And then throwing all that knowledge out the window because DM house rules decides they don't wanna play that way.

Sounds like a good way to make (or lose) friends!

Reactions: TheScientist
Um, I really want to play but I’m a newbie too. Please set something up near Akiba and I’m in!

Yes.... And no?

Which in the end was why I liked more straightforward RPG systems more. There would always be someone like @Viggagadye who wanted to check things out but was put off by the steep learning curve and the money and time commitments involved in the learning curve.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Kickstarter to reprint The Fantasy Trip since that was a much more straightforward rule system that was much easier to get new people into a game or campaign.

Which in the end was why I liked more straightforward RPG systems more. There would always be someone like @Viggagadye who wanted to check things out but was put off by the steep learning curve and the money and time commitments involved in the learning curve.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Kickstarter to reprint The Fantasy Trip since that was a much more straightforward rule system that was much easier to get new people into a game or campaign.
Yeah
A lot of the time I simplify the rules for myself but D&D is the first non computer RPG I’ve played and it does just set up a general idea for me to basically tell a group generated story.