Guest viewing is limited

Daily WHO Reports for the Coronavirus Outbreak (Link)

I’m grossed out. Is everything we touch in public places are covered with a thin layer of bodily juices?
upload_2020-2-20_23-41-45.png

I used to wash my hands a little better than most people but now with corona virus around I wash them like a doctor. Warm water ( where available), soap and lather entire hands, between fingers etc for 15-20 seconds

Reactions: Simonka
Good point. But now in the age of globalization, mass commerce, multiculturalism, and acronyms like "Global Village" being tossed around, those two dead people don't fair well for the government's Olympic aspirations. The CDC already said this was a grave mistake... watch tomorrow night's news in Europe, Asia, The U.S.
Last time I checked, there's no CDC in Japan...

Reactions: MikeH
When some of you mentioned the lack of hand washing was common in Japan, I laughed it off.. I’ve been living here for a long time and I never payed attention to people’s hygiene habits after using the public bathrooms. I thought you guys were exaggerating for the sake of anecdotal entertainment.
So I’ve used a public bathroom the other day, and a young woman lazily ran water on her hands for maybe a second.. I was appalled, but I had my faith in the next lady who was much older and looked like she had learned proper countryside manners in Shizuoka back in the day.
Nope. The same lazy hand rinsing. No soap. No nothing. I wish I could say there is a possibility that they ran out of soap but they didn’t even reach for the soap dispenser.

I’m grossed out. Is everything we touch in public places are covered with a thin layer of bodily juices?
I already do not use the public testers in cosmetic stores, but imagine the amount of bacteria. Ewww.

You need to look on the bright side. Most people think the long life of Japanese is due to healthy food etc., but you just discovered the truth. The constant exposure to all kinds of bacteria and another nasty little things from young age onwards just leads to immunization. That's why everyone is so scarred about the new corona virus too ... They aren't immune yet;)

Reactions: split and MikeH
Good point. But now in the age of globalization, mass commerce, multiculturalism, and acronyms like "Global Village" being tossed around, those two dead people don't fair well for the government's Olympic aspirations. The CDC already said this was a grave mistake... watch tomorrow night's news in Europe, Asia, The U.S.

I think you are totally overestimating the attention this gets. First of all there are barely any Europeans on board, so frankly no one really cares. Besides there are just other things dominating the news.
The US had some people there, but they are already back home and there are preelections and new smoke bomb by Donald every other day.
This will just be a footnote and very quickly forgotten.

Also given the incubation period it is likely that both deceased were already infected when the ship went into quarantine.
If you follow the graphics they show on TV it also looked, like the quarantine pretty much stopped spreading among passengers, it however looks like protection measures for staff weren't optimal.

I'm looking forward how the stories about that guy in Fukuoka and especially the guy who spent a number of days at the snow festival will develop;)

Reactions: warubuta and MikeH
They aren't immune yet;)

Well, just today I talked with someone who was thinking it would be the best solution to let this new virus just go around the globe. As it doesn't seem to be dangerous to kids they would all get it and be immunised for this and similar viruses for the rest of their lives.

Reactions: Durg50
It has been repeated numerous times that it was an 80year old (men I believe) who entered the ship on 20th and left it on 25th of January. If I recall right he was from Hong Kong. Given the time line ... There weren't much if any cases outside Hubei at this time and even then those numbers were still quite low. I think that was still even before the WHO started to take that thing serious. It's maybe forgotten by now, but in the early stages it was still questioned if there is patient to patient transmission at all.
Anyways, that guy being the reason for the quarantine doesn't mean that he is actually patient zero on the ship. Might just be the first patient to be identified.
I see your point about not being able to be certain he started the outbreak on the ship despite being the first identified. When all of this settles down I wonder if they'll try to piece it together. Maybe it's impossible.

I think you are totally overestimating the attention this gets. First of all there are barely any Europeans on board, so frankly no one really cares.
o_O They'd rather enjoy their strong tasse and imagine terrorism doesn't exist. Sorry, I just had to inject that for my own enjoyment.

Last edited:
Well, just today I talked with someone who was thinking it would be the best solution to let this new virus just go around the globe. As it doesn't seem to be dangerous to kids they would all get it and be immunised for this and similar viruses for the rest of their lives.

Plot twist: it's Thanos doing some population control. That would, in a way, fit the theory of the person you're talking to. The virus spreads, kills off the old and sick people who are draining our resources and maybe a couple healthy ones too in the most overpopulated countries for good measure.
thanos_marvel_feature.jpg

Reactions: Acid Burn
I see your point about not being able to be certain he started the outbreak on the ship despite being the first identified. When all of this settles down I wonder if they'll try to piece it together. Maybe it's impossible.

Well, I recently read an article that they put all the RNA of the viruses from tests in a database and that you are able to reconstruct the order by that the virus jumps by this. However if someone isn't tested, cause the symptoms were very mild ...

Well @Simonka it is sadly true that most people leave only a thin layer of bodily fluid on everything. The Buta however personally endeavors to leave thick layers whenever and wherever possible. Doorknobs, armrests, tabletops, wherever he can find, he likes to slather generous smears of his Fine Buta-essence. He also does his best to make generous gaseous contributions to the atmosphere whenever he can. Just moments ago he made such a contribution to the Shinkansen car in which he finds himself seated right now. It thrills him to see the nostrils of those gentlefolk seated around him wrinkle in appreciation has his microscopic fecal spores gently tickle their olfactory tendrils. The Buta always spreads his love in liquid, gas and yes sometimes in solid form too. Have a nice day.

Reactions: Lukes and split
Reactions: AMcguyver
Well, I was at the gym today and my usual lifting pals, who know I'm headed to Japan soon, were happily showing me today's story that the CDC is officially warning Americans not to visit Japan and if they do visit, use "extreme caution." The general consensus among the gym rats is that:

1) When I come back, I'm officially quarantined and not allowed in the gym for two weeks.
2) If I catch the coronavirus, I'm a fag.
3) If I don't catch the coronavirus, I'm still a fag.

You just can't beat gym rats.

On the other hand, I was also speaking with a nice lady from Mie Prefecture who used to work in Osaka and now lives in the states. She thinks the coronavirus is a hidden blessing because it got rid of all the Chinese people that have overrun the major cities and are one of the main reasons she decided to marry an American and get out. She said she's planning a vacation to Japan soon because she can finally go to Don Quijote and not be overwhelmed by hordes of screaming, shoving Chinese tourists with ten baskets each of condoms, tampons and make-up. Leave it to the Japanese to always find a silver lining. Not bad looking for her age, too.

Well, I was at the gym today and my usual lifting pals, who know I'm headed to Japan soon, were happily showing me today's story that the CDC is officially warning Americans not to visit Japan and if they do visit, use "extreme caution." The general consensus among the gym rats is that:

1) When I come back, I'm officially quarantined and not allowed in the gym for two weeks.
2) If I catch the coronavirus, I'm a fag.
3) If I don't catch the coronavirus, I'm still a fag.

On the other hand, I was also speaking with a nice lady from Mie Prefecture who used to work in Osaka and now lives in the states. She thinks the coronavirus is a hidden blessing because it got rid of all the Chinese people that have overrun the major cities and are one of the main reasons she decided to marry an American and get out. She said she's planning a vacation to Japan soon because she can finally go to Don Quijote and not be overwhelmed by hordes of screaming, shoving Chinese tourists with ten baskets each of condoms, tampons and make-up. Leave it to the Japanese to always find a silver lining. Not bad looking for her age, too.
I love it when US government officials caution citizens about going to dangerous places overseas. To help with perspective, they should write their warnings while sitting on a street corner in North Baltimore, MD.

Well, I've already met two Japanese guys in the gym last week who were using face masks while training. But yesterday I met the first guy ever with a face mask inside a public bath's sauna. Your gym rats have got nothing on him.

Well, I've already met two Japanese guys in the gym last week who were using face masks while training. But yesterday I met the first guy ever with a face mask inside a public bath's sauna. Your gym rats have got nothing on him.

All I can say is, your church is going strange ways;)

I love it when US government officials caution citizens about going to dangerous places overseas. To help with perspective, they should write their warnings while sitting on a street corner in North Baltimore, MD.
Great comment! Or East Chicago. Just trying to go to a nightclub there gets you pulled over by undercover and searched with "Get out the da' or I'll knock yo' block off!" and on other occasions police telling you "We don't even go in there."

..But yesterday I met the first guy ever with a face mask inside a public bath's sauna. Your gym rats have got nothing on him.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

As an idiot who has lived all across the continental U.S. and also a former political hack who spent more time than any decent human being should in the DC/Baltimore area, I will say for the record that I was probably 100x more likely to be killed in our nation's capitol and surrounding ghettos than by any recurring plague from the Middle Kingdom. The "urban" folks in that area are of a completely different breed, hard as fuck and just don't give a shit about life. Shit, listening to 13yo ghetto kids talk on the Metro scared me more than any of the so-called "bangers" on the west coast talking shit and acting like morons. To top it off, DC/MD is one of the few areas of the country where I'm not legally allowed to carry a concealed firearm. And that's why I stick to red states, where--if need be--my slanted eyes, MAGA hat and firearms permit make me a fucking celebrity and campaign asset.

Reactions: IchigoDave

Really? At my gym nothing has changed to be honest....full as always, never seen anyone wearing mask during training. In a gym there is probably no use anyway because bits of everyone's sweat are anywhere. The whole outbreak is kinda worrysome, but it's good to see that not too many japanese are buying into the panic at the moment. No need to panic as long as there is no really accute danger.

So here's today's share of (speculative) fear-mongering.

[content removed per OP's comment above]

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: namae and split
I have to say that back home no one really cares about the two deaths from the diamond princess, but there is very honourable mention of the fact that "clean passengers" are sent home using public transportation, especially in light of the fact that in a few cases where those"clean passengers" got returned to their home countries, they promptly tested positive.

That kind lady on South Korea who infected her sect apparently actively refused to get tested. Now her sect closed down all churches countrywide. I guess she gets crucified soon;)
However this constitutes an example that voluntary guarantine might not be sufficient. Obviously that sect is a better breading ground than any laboratory could provide, but still she has been quite successful.