Guest viewing is limited

Daily WHO Reports for the Coronavirus Outbreak (Link)

I am just going to say this, I seriously hate the Chinese government. You knew damn well what was going on, yet you decided to not only endanger the lives and livelihood of your citizens but also the world. Not only have they fudge numbers purposely and grossly misrepresenting the outbreak to indicate that only a few thousand people are infected they severely misinformed the public and as a result, a doctor treating the virus died because of it. They did themselves no favors also but not really stressing the damn importance to the general populace of getting yourself checked out because now people are coming in infecting others including those at the hospital because they failed to disclose they were in contact with someone.

I have to say that back home no one really cares about the two deaths from the diamond princess, but there is very honourable mention of the fact that "clean passengers" are sent home using public transportation, especially in light of the fact that in a few cases where those"clean passengers" got returned to their home countries, they promptly tested positive.

In fact, CDC doesn't use RT-PCR to test persons who do not show symptoms.

While the Japanese used RT-PCR to test all those repatriated from Wuhan, CDC's view was that clinical examination would suffice.
(From 1:00:41)

As far as I understand, the policy has not been changed. For those repatriated from Diamond Princess, RT-PCR was used only for those with symptoms or those without symptoms but volunteer to get the test.

There is a conceptual difference as to the definition of "infected", which is now a source of confusion. Also the word "test" means different from place to place. What Japanese and Korean are doing actually sounds vigorous.

Cases surge in South Korea after outbreak at church

• Twenty-three cruise passengers disembarked cruise ship without testing

• Coronavirus incubation could be as long as 27 days

• Tokyo postpones training for Olympics volunteers over virus fears

• U.S. takes steps to prepare for pandemic as global COVID—19 cases rise

• Federal judge blocks effort to transfer coronavirus patients to California city

• China's central bank vows to take more steps to support virus-hit economy

just worried on the incubation period is now lasting for over a month... as opposed to the later announced 2 weeks period....siggggghhhh

Cases surge in South Korea after outbreak at church

• Twenty-three cruise passengers disembarked cruise ship without testing

• Coronavirus incubation could be as long as 27 days

just worried on the incubation period is now lasting for over a month... as opposed to the later announced 2 weeks period....siggggghhhh

Not that I have seen this anywhere else, but which planet are you coming from that 27days would be more than a month anyways?;)

Reactions: Sudsy
Coronavirus incubation could be as long as 27 days

Had to look that up - no idea why you didn't link the stories instead of just posting the headlines - but it seems that particular one refers to one single case.

I wouldn't take it as significant until there are multiple observed cases. This one case may be an outlier, or he may have been infected elsewhere after the contact with is sister, and not realised it.

but which planet are you coming from that 27days would be more than a month anyways
i just estimated it to 1 month since 27 days is almost a month long, sorry my bad.... im just a plain human from planet earth that make mistakes....

I am just going to say this, I seriously hate the Chinese government. You knew damn well what was going on, yet you decided to not only endanger the lives and livelihood of your citizens but also the world. Not only have they fudge numbers purposely and grossly misrepresenting the outbreak to indicate that only a few thousand people are infected they severely misinformed the public and as a result, a doctor treating the virus died because of it. They did themselves no favors also but not really stressing the damn importance to the general populace of getting yourself checked out because now people are coming in infecting others including those at the hospital because they failed to disclose they were in contact with someone.
Thats one way to look at it. Now imagine if it had been India. Or any African or large Latin American country. The world, including you, is lucky it started in China.

Apparently Italy is taking the virus much more seriously than Japan does.
https://www.ft.com/content/2f937640-5621-11ea-abe5-8e03987b7b20

Just the first semi serious source that came up on Google, but basically you can find it all over the news. In essence about 50.000 people were shutdown similarly to China, mainly in a region near to Milano. There have also been several Seria A matches been cancelled and the carnival in Venice has been early terminated. Along go a lot of smaller measures in the affected regions like closing of schools, kindergartens and university lectures. Reportedly public life came to a stop in Milano, even if people there aren't quarantined as of yet. Just preemptive measures to stop it from spreading.

Reactions: monalisaoverdrive
The Bad News:

Various conflicting reports coming out of Iran regarding the (surprisingly large) number of fatalities being reported by the mainstream media.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/24/coronavirus-dead-in-iranian-city-of-qom
https://www.france24.com/en/20200223-iran-reports-highest-coronavirus-death-toll-outside-of-china

It's also spreading in Italy and South Korea.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51602007
https://time.com/5789596/south-korea-coronavirus-outbreak/

The (maybe) Good News:

"The WHO said it was encouraged by the decline in new cases in China."
"The WHO team in China has concluded the virus can be contained. It peaked between the end of January and the beginning of February."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...ections-death-toll-outbreak-xi-jinping-update

It’s not a WHO report but I find this guys videos in general really informational.

Interesting video. Thanks for that.

What stood out in the vid was around 2:55. When he says “These [surface proteins] interact with ACE-2... it looks like this is how it enters cells of the lower lung... hijacks the lung cell... kills the cell while creating more virus... but the lungs aren’t the only place humans have ACE-2... specific parts of the male anatomy have it... problems in the male anatomy, while painful, probably won’t kill someone immediately...”

drwxSG4_d.jpg

Kinda wish he elaborated more on the male anatomy part. o_O

Reactions: Lukes
Not a WHO report - Turkey, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Armenia closed their land borders with Iran on Sunday.

Thats one way to look at it. Now imagine if it had been India. Or any African or large Latin American country. The world, including you, is lucky it started in China.

China is actually the worst place it could have happened. Chinese are everywhere...in significant numbers: Canada, Africa, you name it, and up until recently could come and go as they pleased. Most places in Africa and Latin America are pretty restricted in terms of travel, good luck getting a visa just to visit Japan or America if you're from Zambia let alone having money for a ticket. I mean how many Africans are in Japan compared to Chinese?

Add their ties to global manufacturing and the world economy and you couldn't have picked a worst place. Not even India.

China is actually the worst place it could have happened. Chinese are everywhere...in significant numbers: Canada, Africa, you name it, and up until recently could come and go as they pleased. Most places in Africa and Latin America are pretty restricted in terms of travel, good luck getting a visa just to visit Japan or America if you're from Zambia let alone having money for a ticket. I mean how many Africans are in Japan compared to Chinese?

Add their ties to global manufacturing and the world economy and you couldn't have picked a worst place. Not even India.

How much closer is China to Japan compared to Africa? Japan isn't the center of the world anyways.
Many African countries have relatively close ties to Europe for historical reason. In addition there is a lot of exchange between African countries and in most places authorities aren't strong enough to effectively put travel bans in place.

So what you trying to say is that it wouldn't be a big deal, no matter how widely it spreads, as long as you can lock it away in Africa or Latin America?

Your points are valid, but because China is an authoritarian state, they have been able to close down and seal off cities without having to worry about citizen rights. This has been a huge advantage. Try to do that in India. No way. Also Indians travel almost as much as Chinese. True that Africans don't travel, but if it had started there, we would likely have seen many, many more cases than China as the healthcare infrastructure is poor, and it probably would have festered much longer posing a longer threat that what we are dealing with now. China has reasonalbly good med facilities and they have probably done a better job at closing in it than most other countires would have be able to do.

I read the case in the UK, pasta, or some food are running out, reminded the old man the World War Ⅱ. I wonder if Japan that happens, as well? makes me think I should stock up some food, as well...,

I'm using a mask I bought somewhen in Jan. I think, it's better care for what we eat, stay healthy to keep our immune system balanced. I find selfish, too for those they buy hundreds of masks, but perhaps, they can make business and sell them premium, as well!!!

How much closer is China to Japan compared to Africa? Japan isn't the center of the world anyways.
Many African countries have relatively close ties to Europe for historical reason. In addition there is a lot of exchange between African countries and in most places authorities aren't strong enough to effectively put travel bans in place.

So what you trying to say is that it wouldn't be a big deal, no matter how widely it spreads, as long as you can lock it away in Africa or Latin America?

Huh?

warubuta said the situation would have been worse for the world if the virus had started in Africa, India or some other large Latin America country. My point is China is about the worst place it could have happened due to the fact that the Chinese being so ubiquitous and having far fewer barriers of entry into other countries than an African or someone from Latin America would have (many Chinese could have left for other countries with the virus still incubating inside them before the world really knew the severity of the situation). In addition, so much manufacturing comes out of China that the virus is disrupting alot of businesses worldwide. I've heard stories of containers of goods shipped from China to Canada just sitting in storage due to no one wanting to risk contamination. I brought up the amount of Chinese in Japan because that is something that directly affects people on this website.

I don't know why you are trying to put words in my mouth but the virus is a big deal no matter where it starts and whom it spreads to, many have unfortunately lost their lives already, but it's currently on the verge of being a global pandemic and that wouldn't have been as likely if it had originated in Swaziland or Peru for example.

Your points are valid, but because China is an authoritarian state, they have been able to close down and seal off cities without having to worry about citizen rights. This has been a huge advantage. Try to do that in India. No way. Also Indians travel almost as much as Chinese. True that Africans don't travel, but if it had started there, we would likely have seen many, many more cases than China as the healthcare infrastructure is poor, and it probably would have festered much longer posing a longer threat that what we are dealing with now. China has reasonalbly good med facilities and they have probably done a better job at closing in it than most other countires would have be able to do.

I agree with you that if it had started in India it could have been potentially worse, but Indians travel a little less than China and have their fingers in fewer pies as well. And it's obvious to anyone that has followed this situation from the start that this whole thing was botched and exacerbated by the Chinese government downplaying of the situation in an effort to save face, as well as their methods to put the lid back on, up until now.

Reactions: warubuta
Huh?

warubuta said the situation would have been worse for the world if the virus had started in Africa, India or some other large Latin America country. My point is China is about the worst place it could have happened due to the fact that the Chinese being so ubiquitous and having far fewer barriers of entry into other countries than an African or someone from Latin America would have (many Chinese could have left for other countries with the virus still incubating inside them before the world really knew the severity of the situation). In addition, so much manufacturing comes out of China that the virus is disrupting alot of businesses worldwide. I've heard stories of containers of goods shipped from China to Canada just sitting in storage due to no one wanting to risk contamination. I brought up the amount of Chinese in Japan because that is something that directly affects people on this website.

I don't know why you are trying to put words in my mouth but the virus is a big deal no matter where it starts and whom it spreads to, many have unfortunately lost their lives already, but it's currently on the verge of being a global pandemic and that wouldn't have been as likely if it had originated in Swaziland or Peru for example.

I agree with you that if it had started in India it could have been potentially worse, but Indians travel a little less than China and have their fingers in fewer pies as well. And it's obvious to anyone that has followed this situation from the start that this whole thing was botched and exacerbated by the Chinese government downplaying of the situation in an effort to save face, as well as their methods to put the lid back on, up until now.
Yes I agree. but I do think that the lockdown measures taken, although late for whatever reason, were what has saved us from it from being much, much worse outside of China. This political and organizational ability to do a lockdown like this might only exist in a few places in the world: China, North Korea...

I remember my first visit to China in 2009, just in time to make my exodus on the same day of Obama's inauguration - on the way to Tokyo first, and to China. I knew I was going to live for an unknown amount of time in China and was extremely curious to what the Far East was going to be like. On the 2nd day in China, I was given a personal tour around one of the wet markets of my soon to be home in a 3rd tier "small" Chinese city of 8M. I saw for the first time in my life livestock, both common and some unusual along fish of all types being butchered, minced, and mixed on the same tables right in front of my eyes, all in close proximity, and unrefrigerated or preserved with salt. I knew, at that moment without hesitation, that this was a disaster waiting to happen and it was beyond words. Combine that with the ability to walk into any pharmacy and purchase any antibiotic you desired without a prescription and you can just only imagine what would happen next. Honestly, I'm surprised it has taken this long to come to this.

Last edited:
I remember my first visit to China in 2009, just in time to make my exodus on the same day of Obama's inauguration - on the way to Tokyo first, and to China. I knew I was going to live for an unknown amount of time in China and was extremely curious to what the Far East was going to be like. On the 2nd day in China, I was given a personal tour around one of the wet markets of my soon to be home in a 3rd tier "small" Chinese city of 8M. I saw for the first time in my life livestock, both common and some unusual along fish of all types being butchered, minced, and mixed on the same tables right in front of my eyes, all in close proximity, and unrefrigerated or preserved with salt. I knew, at that moment without hesitation, that this was a disaster waiting to happen and it was beyond words. Combine that with the ability to walk into any pharmacy and purchase any antibiotic you desired without a prescription and you can just only imagine what would happen next. Honestly, I'm surprised it has taken this long to come to this.

But that's kinda common in lots of asian countries. Wet markets in Thailand are basically the same. Unsanitary handling of food can cause food poisoning, but that's a different issue...has nothing to do with breeding a new kind of virus. That's more an issue of how you handle your life stock. I think a new Chinese study also suggested that the initial pandemic didn't start on the market itself, started earlier, but was spread there.
I don't know if we'll ever find out. I think the main issue is how the life stock is held. Lots of species in little cages right next to eachother. The processing of the meat is rather irrelevant even if it looks disgusting.

But that's kinda common in lots of asian countries. Wet markets in Thailand are basically the same. Unsanitary handling of food can cause food poisoning, but that's a different issue...has nothing to do with breeding a new kind of virus.
I got to disagree, I saw wild species of live birds, mammals, some reptiles, and even the pangolin (but maybe not on that specific day - I couldn't figure out if it was an armadillo or what - in hindsight, I know now what all those scales are in jars at pharmacies), and other weird animals caged right next to the butchering of meat, fish and poultry to be consumed. Much too close for my comfort. Personally, knowing the Chinese government and the way they run, I see that report as whitewashing or maybe more appropriately changing the narrative. The wild and exotic game trade is too big of an industry to sacrifice there for the lower social-economic class the way I see it.

Last edited: