Guest viewing is limited

Daily WHO Reports for the Coronavirus Outbreak (Link)

So we should ... thank Covid19 ? Im confused

Let's see what happens when the real consequences of these lock-downs will get revealed. It is not difficult to imagine the poorer countries getting even poorer and the increased poverty killing more people than the virus itself.

Reactions: Keihan Chikan
Preliminary Tokyo numbers... +55

Back into the cave we go. o_O

Let's see what happens when the real consequences of these lock-downs will get revealed. It is not difficult to imagine the poorer countries getting even poorer and the increased poverty killing more people than the virus itself.

That's the little social experiment the doctors I was working with were trying to gauge. At what point do the preventative measures kill/harm more people than the virus. I'm hearing various reports from the health department staff I'm liaising with that the increase in domestic violence, substance abuse and suicides did as much to prompt the measured re-openings we're currently doing here as the economic impacts and the governor finally had to give in. And we were actually doing ok until the BLM spike last week.

Fortunately, numbers are coming down again but we've got the big July 4th holiday coming up. And with the news from Tokyo, something tells me I'm not blowing my load in Kabukicho any time in 2020.

At what point do the preventative measures kill/harm more people than the virus. I'm hearing various reports from the health department staff I'm liaising with that the increase in domestic violence, substance abuse and suicides did as much to prompt the measured re-openings we're currently doing here as the economic impacts and the governor finally had to give in.
And not to forget people’s non-COVID heath issues getting worse as they’re too scared to go get checked up for fear of getting COVID. On top of the weight gain and lack of exercise during lockdown contributing to worsening health of our at risk populations.

Perhaps a bit morbid but I was waiting for the news of some body being found all decaying in a house because nobody bothered to check up on some old dude who dropped dead during lockdown time until after lockdown when he failed to show up to McD to catch up with his other retired friends.

On top of the weight gain and lack of exercise during lockdown contributing to worsening health

I don't know why you have to put the light on me, I just have heavy bones!

Still maybe the biggest problems are going to be with kids who have spend several months in isolation. Even in Tokyo I know that there are kindergartens and schools where the teachers haven't seen up to 30% of the kids at all as they have been locked inside by their parents.

Preliminary Tokyo numbers... +55

Back into the cave we go. o_O

Red Alert! Red Alert! Turn on the red light quickly!

Seriously though, many people just don't get social distancing. Today I was out and about and it was almost impossible to get my covid-19 space.

1. hop on escalator after waiting for the person before you to clear a safe distance, only for the person behind you to get right in your ass.
2. line up to buy something with the floor taped and signed in Japanese and English, only for the couple behind you to ignore the tape and warnings, and the two of them shuffle along the line side by side right in your arse carrying on a loud pointless conversation.

Seriously though, many people just don't get social distancing. Today I was out and about and it was almost impossible to get my covid-19 space.

1. hop on escalator after waiting for the person before you to clear a safe distance, only for the person behind you to get right in your ass.
2. line up to buy something with the floor taped and signed in Japanese and English, only for the couple behind you to ignore the tape and warnings, and the two of them shuffle along the line side by side right in your arse carrying on a loud pointless conversation.

Well, to be fair, you are dealing with Japanese. Common sense is not particularly common. If you had a staffer dressed up as Anpan-man or Hello Kitty, with a fucking cattle prod and physically forcing them to stay 6-feet apart at all times, they'd be giggling and moaning joyfully just for the experience of forcibly socially distancing with a retarded comic character pushing them around and keeping them apart. But otherwise, it's like a special education classroom and you need to treat them accordingly. These aren't folks who do particularly well thinking on their own so best to just avoid crowds, leave them to their own devices and keep yourself safe.

I was in Japan in early March and after watching just how efficiently most were dealing with the situation, I went home and cancelled all my return trips this year.

Sounds like you need this shirt:
upload_2020-6-24_18-24-44.png

I might just have to make these in Japanese....

人混みを避ける措置
を守りましょう!
俺が振り向いて
お前の顔をパンチ
ができれば、
お前は近すぎる。

I had that too the other day. Just some youngish guys rudely invading my Corona space. I just turned around and asked them kindly, if they have trouble reading the Japanese. I even went out of my way to be helpful and offered to read it out loud for them. Wasn't necessary though.
Not sure why the guys made such a dumb face, but I had plenty of space after that. Also the girls behind them couldn't stop giggling for the rest of my waiting time;)

Reactions: Sudsy and MikeH
I just turned around and asked them kindly, if they have trouble reading the Japanese. I even went out of my way to be helpful and offered to read it out loud for them.

You are such a nice person! Reminds me of the time I had to ask a Japanese taxi driver if he can read kanji after he came to my car door to shout I need to move on. I was stopping just in front of the sign that said "taxi reserved area from this point on".

He didn't take my help too kindly though, looked like he would be happy to punch me in the face. His reading skills improved only when I stepped out of the car and he realised I had like 20 kgs and 20 cms on him.

Reactions: Sudsy
What do you guys think the odds of another lockdown here happening?
There wasn't a lockdown to begin with. :/ The only official closures were government run facilities. Everything was 'at request' and not a lockdown.

Chances are low unless the number skyrockets.

Reactions: Juliet
There wasn't a lockdown to begin with. :/ The only official closures were government run facilities. Everything was 'at request' and not a lockdown.

Chances are low unless the number skyrockets.

The 7 day moving average is at 38.9. The reference value for re-requesting is 50. So you would think that there is a fair chance we hit that 50 number in the coming weeks, and if we do they will have to have a pow-wow and decide whether 50 should be 75 or 100, or whether we should go into "lockdown" - at least the Tokyo version of "lockdown" that we had, or a watered down version, or an improved version.

This is true. There are many so supermarkets and convenience stores here in Tokyo that are so impossibly narrow and tiny, trying to enforce some kind of distancing in them seems pointless. :banghead:The supermarket by my place is pretty small, and the social distancing tapes on the ground are only about a yard apart, which clog the aisle and seem utterly useless as they certainly don't stop the crowds of people trying to get around each other

My home state of California has +7,100 positive cases... added in just one day. And we're not going back into lockdown so I guess the apocalypse is about to happen for real over here and we're just going to let it.

I am pretty sure that most governments won't go to a lock down again. By now they have figured out it's not a plague and making the 70+ folks to stay at home is enough to prevent the hospital over-run which they claimed was the reason for the lock downs to begin with.

And most people with math skills beyond primary school have already been able to calculate the huge monetary hit the economies are taking so no politician will want to face the next elections with even bigger unemployment numbers than they will already get.

Reactions: Sudsy