Guest viewing is limited

Daily WHO Reports for the Coronavirus Outbreak (Link)

volunteer who became ill, a woman in the UK, suffered from neurological symptoms and will likely be released today.

Doctor's believe it was caused by a rare but serious spinal inflammatory disorder,

mad cow disease! Thats why brits (or anyone that lived there in the 80s or 90s) cant give blood in japan.

Reactions: Ken1988
mad cow disease! Thats why brits (or anyone that lived there in the 80s or 90s) cant give blood in japan.

Is it "lived" now? The only time when I tried to donate blood they told it was "visited" and threw me out.

Pfizer announced today that it will be expanding its Phase-III testing by 50%, aiming to get 44,000 participants. More importantly, Pfizer expects to hit its original goal of 30,000 by next week, fueling further speculation that it will be the first vaccine approved by the FDA. Also, AstraZeneca has resumed its testing in the UK after being ruled safe again.

It's been a quiet week stateside, with most of the national media trying desperately to either ignore or cover-up the fact that Trump has now received two Nobel nominations for his work brokering the peace deal in the Middle East. Still, it's becoming evident that he'll probably get his way and have a vaccine approved before election day--evident enough that even the leftist stooges at NPR are seemingly ready to accept defeat and lamenting the fact that the vaccine is coming soon.

But in lighter news, national media was again scrambling to cover for Joe Biden this week after he royally botched an attack speech in Michigan. While trying to bash Trump's response to the pandemic, Biden claimed that hundreds of thousands of soldiers have been infected and that "over 6,000 members of the military have died" from COVID (the actual number is seven). He was probably confusing the military numbers with the Michigan death count, but it's not quite clear exactly what he was talking about. But that's not even the funny part. Immediately afterward, some jagoff named Michael Gwin took to the media to shift focus and drone on about how much Joe loves the military. Gwin also has a new title: "DEPUTY RAPID RESPONSE DIRECTOR."

Seriously, they had to hire a team of PR hacks just to deploy lightning damage control whenever Joe fucks up, has a senile senior moment and says something stupid. All I know is, I hope those poor pricks are getting paid well because I would NOT want that job (for less than comfortable six figures and a hot intern).

Reactions: MossBoss
But in lighter news, national media was again scrambling to cover for Joe Biden this week after he royally botched an attack speech in Michigan. While trying to bash Trump's response to the pandemic, Biden claimed that hundreds of thousands of soldiers have been infected and that "over 6,000 members of the military have died" from COVID (the actual number is seven). He was probably confusing the military numbers with the Michigan death count, but it's not quite clear exactly what he was talking about.

i fact-checked this (like pretty much anything you and MossBoss write... its my new pastime!) and happy to report that you are RIGHT ! He mixed up the numbers.
(But CNN and others reported It)
Oh well... it is what it is :D

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics/joe-biden-us-troop-covid-deaths-fact-check/index.html

nobody wish for the vaccines to be late so that Trump could be defeated. I think that contrary to all your statements here most people won’t link those vaccines with their vote

For some people politics is more important than the health of the nation.

The illegal BLM protests (riots) caused a spike in Covid 19 cases. I’m sure the rioters would put any deaths down to ‘collateral damage’.

Pfizer coronavirus vaccine could be given to Americans before end of the year, CEO says...

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla says the company is ready to distribute "hundreds of thousands" of doses as soon as FDA approval is granted, and the U.S. government already has a deal for another 100-million doses to be delivered to frontline workers, the elderly and high-risk groups.

The second wave of vaccinations would go to essential workers, teachers and other similar groups.

I think I might be able to manipulate my job title to make myself "essential."

Reactions: Acid Burn
You could tell them the livelihood of many young girls in Gotanda is depending on you getting the vaccine.

And possibly some young boys in make-up, wigs and skirts in 2-Chome if the vaccine really gets me kinky.

Reactions: MikeH
Reactions: Keihan
In case anyone is interested, Trump's HHS (U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services) just released a statement today outlining the official detailed strategy for vaccine distribution. It's really not very interesting but policy nerds may enjoy it. Like it or not, the administration is pushing hard and emergency authorization is on the horizon.

In related news...

1) The Trump Administration has announced plans to begin shipping free vaccines within 24 hours of FDA emergency approval, plans to distribute another 100-million doses by January.

2) In an interview yesterday that has political opponents howling, Trump is now claiming that a vaccine could be here in as little as four weeks. "It could be four weeks, it could be eight weeks, said Trump.

3) Officials at the CDC, however, are warning that availability of a vaccine to the general population in the U.S. may take 6-9 months and we may not see widespread immunity and a return to normal in America until 2022.

It seems that the entry restriction to Japan will be lifted partially next month though they won't let tourists in for now. A good news.

Reactions: Sudsy
It seems that the entry restriction to Japan will be lifted partially next month though they won't let tourists in for now. A good news.

Today's Asahi publishes more details.

The current entry restrictions will be lifted for the visa holders who seek long-term residency (>3 months).

In principle, the restrictions remain the same for short-term visitors (=< 3 months).

There will be an additional quota of 1,000 arriving foreign nationals per day, in addition to returning Japanese and non-Japanese residents.

All incoming travelers are requested to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival (if tested corona-negative at the port of entry. If positive, you will be isolated in a special hotel or a hospital).

Further relaxation to the entry restrictions is being planned for the entries from "16 countries" (Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Laos, Macau, Mongolia, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam).

Good if they limit to people coming back or people who are looking to start their long term visa. I guess this would be students. I’m sure tourist would not come here or any place & self quarantine for two weeks.
If the person has something to lose they are more likely to abide by the rules. I’m happy to hear things will be better for valid visa holding residents.

Reactions: Ken1988
Today's Asahi publishes more details.

The current entry restrictions will be lifted for the visa holders who seek long-term residency (>3 months).

In principle, the restrictions remain the same for short-term visitors (=< 3 months).

There will be an additional quota of 1,000 arriving foreign nationals per day, in addition to returning Japanese and non-Japanese residents.

All incoming travelers are requested to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival (if tested corona-negative at the port of entry. If positive, you will be isolated in a special hotel or a hospital).

Further relaxation to the entry restrictions is being planned for the entries from "16 countries" (Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Laos, Macau, Mongolia, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam).
I wouldn't let China in until some compensation comes from the CCP.......but that's just me maybe

Reactions: Airnest
I wouldn't let China in until some compensation comes from the CCP.......but that's just me maybe

And a required course on expected tourist behaviour would be nice too.

I heard they were trying to do that in Australia way back in the mid-2000s, from Aussies I worked with at the eikaiwa. Signs in Chinese asking for just the basics, like: "Please don't spit on the floors of the tour bus," or "Please don't throw your table scraps on the floors of restaurants," or "Please don't urinate/defecate on public sidewalks." I guess it wasn't very effective. Asking Chinese to practice good hygiene is like asking Americans to lose weight or learn a second language.

But maybe that's why the Chinese tourists started coming to America. In every place I've lived/worked over the past decade--Seattle, D.C., Honolulu and a tiny stretch in S.F.--relieving yourself in public downtown is the new national pastime. They can make like home, squat on Main Street and take a huge piss and dump in the storm drain and they're basically naturalized citizens. These days, you haven't had the authentic "Frisco" experience if you haven't walked downtown and had to wipe human shit off your shoes.

Reactions: Nixon2
Careful, don't upset those fine people.
Otherwise, who else would leave those beautiful ¥¥¥on Ginza and Omotesando?
Who needs manners when you are the one who keeps the economy going?

I heard they were trying to do that in Australia way back in the mid-2000s, from Aussies I worked with at the eikaiwa. Signs in Chinese asking for just the basics, like: "Please don't spit on the floors of the tour bus," or "Please don't throw your table scraps on the floors of restaurants," or "Please don't urinate/defecate on public sidewalks." I guess it wasn't very effective. Asking Chinese to practice good hygiene is like asking Americans to lose weight or learn a second language.

But maybe that's why the Chinese tourists started coming to America. In every place I've lived/worked over the past decade--Seattle, D.C., Honolulu and a tiny stretch in S.F.--relieving yourself in public downtown is the new national pastime. They can make like home, squat on Main Street and take a huge piss and dump in the storm drain and they're basically naturalized citizens. These days, you haven't had the authentic "Frisco" experience if you haven't walked downtown and had to wipe human shit off your shoes.

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www....rancisco-poop-feces-dirty-street-13281837.php