Guest viewing is limited

Y-Shirt (SL) Darling Harbor: Sna, Miwa, Aoi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice you are right. People in private enterprise should have the right to refuse any customer for any reason.
So, for example a baker could refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple? Or a landlord could refuse to rent to a black guy?

Reactions: akasam
So bad it forced my family to leave our country.

OK then welcome to the club.

1. Should a sex worker have the right to deny service to someone based on their color, religion, ethnicity etc.? Yes or no?

If you are speaking of rights in a legal sense, like how they exist in the real world, not the SJW world, then that depends on the nation state in question. In Japan legally the answer is "no" but good luck proving it in court in this case. If you mean personal preference well then it becomes a matter of the market. Obviously many SWs can express preference and the shops support the preference for all the reasons already explained.

2. Even if they have the legal right to do so, would you label them a racist or bigot if they did? Yes or no?

Based on this piece of information alone? No.

Wow. A bit premature with the race lecture.

Sorry but that was the conversation all along.

So, for example a baker could refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple? Or a landlord could refuse to rent to a black guy?
Bakers dont share their body with their clients and dont risk damage if someone is big or rough.

Plus, as much as i hate homophobes, i'm personally not against the cake thing. Why would you want to give a person who hates you money? (Assuming there are at least a few people out there who're happy with your business.)
Its more pleasant for all parties to deal with people who are not uncomfortable with you.

Bakers dont share their body with their clients and dont risk damage if someone is big or rough.

Plus, as much as i hate homophobes, i'm personally not against the cake thing. Why would you want to give a person who hates you money? (Assuming there are at least a few people out there who're happy with your business.)
Its more pleasant for all parties to deal with people who are not uncomfortable with you.
Yeah it wasnt a tight analogy, i accept that.

Negatively discriminating against someone based on race or nationality is something I dont agree with though. It happens a lot here, and i find it disturbing how many gaijin themselves jump to defend japanese for this. If a shop in london had a 'no chinese' sign on the door, and the owner attempted to justify it by saying, 'not racist, we've just had a few issues with them being too loud, coughing up phlegm outside, not understanding how to use the toilet, not being able to communicate, etc etc' the same people would never in a hundred years defend them. However when a japanese establishment, be it a cafe, onsen, adult establishmemt, an apartment to let etc, does the same, the japanese dont even have to offer an excuse. Loads of gaijin will spring to their defence- 'oh, they are worried the gaijin wont understand the rules, they arent comfortable using english'. Its weird and in itself kinda racist, you are judging Japanese by a lower moral or ethical standard than you would someone from a western country.

My work is done here. All I wanted to do was to spur a conversation about an interesting and controversial issue as it relates to P4P. Success! Hopefully going forward people will learn to turn down the volume on their morale outrage meters. Hope springs eternal.

you are judging Japanese by a lower moral or ethical standard than you would someone from a western country.

On the one hand you are correct but only from a Western point of view. I'm not crazy about applying Western standards outside the West or automatically assuming that Western ways apply everywhere. Kind of reeks of cultural imperialism.

On the one hand you are correct but only from a Western point of view. I'm not crazy about applying Western standards outside the West or automatically assuming that Western ways apply everywhere. Kind of reeks of cultural imperialism.
Thats not what i mean. Dont apply 'western' or 'eastern' or whatever. Apply your own standards and keep the the same for everyone. If u think a no gaijin policy is fine, then thats fine. But if you think its racist when applied in one country but not another, then you are judging one country differently to the other, using a different set of values.
Dogsville illustrates this really well, i think.

Apply your own standards

Where do you think people get their standards from? Doesn't come out of nowhere and theres no such thing as universal standards either.

judging one country differently to the other, using a different set of values.

Sure, when you bother to understand the differences in culture between Culture A & Culture B, you might just learn not to apply A's standards to B.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Status
Not open for further replies.