Guest viewing is limited

Dating Apps: A Guide

thegreek

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone. Call me The Greek. The name is a reference to the character from The Wire, though I am much younger (but like him, not actually Greek). It came to mind randomly. Whatever.

Background
Just some background on me before I get started: I am from an English-speaking country, light-skinned, fluent in Japanese, was involved in the Japanese community moderately back home and have been in Japan for 5 years but Tokyo for only just over 1 year. I am tall, solid, not fat or fit. I stopped counting my notches once they reached the 30s some 6 or 7 years ago and I started forgetting experiences, names etc. Most of my experience has been with Japanese women, back home and here. And most of my meetings have been through apps. My target age range has skewed older than myself but ranges from 8 years younger than me to 12 years older.

My "formal(?)" PUA training consists of having read Sinapse's book and Roosh V's Game. I read both of those first just over a year ago, so quite recently. While I agree with neither fully, both are great resources that I can recommend based on the fact the information provided in them aligned with my own experiences and I was able to put the new advice in both to good use.

I'm arrogant enough to think what I say has value because I have put my experience and knowledge to use helping out several friends and it has worked out well for them. I hope this helps you save some time/energy too.

I'm also a fussy bastard and slowing down these days because my standards have gotten higher with time. The current rule is I won't screw anyone I would be unhappy to get pregnant. This came about after a rather sobering encounter a few years ago where I dropped my standards after a dry stint and the condom came off. So the rules below might change if you just don't give a shit and wanna get laid.

Moving on to apps! Before Tokyo they were a necessity to me overseas and in the inaka. I have had experiecne worth talking about for ages but only really after moving to Tokyo do I feel like the playing field is level and my results are worth talking about/sharing. I feel like when it comes to PUA apps aren't given a fair shake and while many criticisms of them I have read are valid, it seems silly to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Yes they can cost a little and can be time consuming, but you can make them fit your schedule and use them to be a bit more picky about who you meet.

The fact is apps have a place in dating in current year and using apps alone I quickly got to the point in Tokyo where I was having ridiculous weeks meeting 4/5 new women, closing with at least one and my only limiting factors were time, money and energy. Frankly, that was more than enough for me and I have sinced toned it down to put more emphasis on other areas of my life.

There are counterexamples even in my own experience to everything I write here, but in general the following should work more often than not.

This post is for:
- Western men living in Japan or moving to Japan soon who are interested in the apps around and how to get the most of them.

The Basics (As I see them)
- Economics of the dating marketplace apply and in Tokyo and Osaka women have plenty of men, not to mention work competing for their time. Dating requires effort.
- If you're too fat, research intermittant fasting and buy some dumbells.
- Invest in decent threads. Doesn't have to be brand shit. Consider swiping your look from a western celebrity. Get haircuts regularly.
- Facial hair will limit your audience to women who like facial hair (I estimate this at 30pc tops) so consider shaving for broader appeal
- Learn Japanese. This is not a must, and I can't speak for how things go when you can't as I haven't not been able to for over a decade. Plenty of women are there pretty much for foreigners and have their profiles either half or fully in English.

Your Profile
- Pictures are important. I typically work with about 3. Your face and body shape should be ascertainable. Look friendly (smile?) but don't do the open mouthed soyboy grin (I have no data to back that up, I just really hate it) I'm not sure what makes a good photo exactly out side of that, but I know it can be I would recommend against using Snow or some other gay app to change things or be cute or funny. I do know a decent picture can be the difference between 10 matches in a month and 100 in a week. Outside/doing stuff/travelling shots are recommended. Group shots discouraged. I am considering employing a professional one day, but haven't yet.
- Keep it short, simple, vague but intriguing. I keep mine to like 10 sentences max on most sites and like 4 max on not serious/charai apps like Tapple and Tinder (actually not even sentences, more like a list of specs sometimes). I tend to include that I am looking for something serious on the serious sites. I also include a line about WHY I am using the app, which for me is a generic "mostly men in my workplace and busy so it's hard to meet someone new". Ambition looks good too, so perhaps alluding to some lofty dream or plan. I have mentioned I came to Japan to pursue my "dream job" as an example and this has been mentioned by many matches as part of what caught their eye and they are curious about what exactly that job is.
- If your height is not part of your profile, write it down (Tinder). If you are short, then skip this or mention something else you know will appeal. But height is a biggy. I've watched girls skip over well off CEOs cause they were too short. Oof.
- Consider dropping money for premium memberships on top of paid. These usually come with extra likes anyway and the extra visibility can be helpful. Don't go bananas, you shouldn't need to.

Her Profile (What to look out for)
- Are you attracted to her picture/s? If she is hiding her face, assume it's not great. If she is with friends and you don't know which is her, assume it is the least attractive one. If her body is visible and decent, consider sending the like and getting the match but get a facial pic before meeting and accept no excuses. If she resists, quit.
- Does she have kids? Lots of single mothers online.
- Is her age in your range? Generally target your age +- 4 years or so.
- Is she smiling in her photos? This says a lot to me.
- Beware attention whores, e-thots - they usually put their instagram user id in their profile. These girls are looking for fans, not any kind of relationship. If you do proceed, basically ignore that part of the profile and be aware this usually denotes a big personality flaw/need for attention that could hurt you later on.
- Is she a total bitch? Seriously. Some women write the most arrogant demands or lists of no-gos in their profiles, or straight up write they are there for some rich handsome movie star despite their pic being maybe a 6/10 at best. Sometimes it's a test to filter out wusses, but I feel often they genuinely are that deluded. I dodge these ones.
- I don't care if you think she's your freaking soulmate, if she's got more than 500 likes already then don't even bother. I typically aim for girls with 200 or less likes.
- Many apps show lists of visitors to your profile. Target your likes to the ones in that group that are your type. You have a much higher chance of a match than with randoms that you search for.
- Target new users if the app lets you

Messaging
- Keep openers standard. Even though both our names are written, I usually start by giving my name and asking for hers. I open in English but suffix it with a sentence in Japanese that says she can can reply in either English or Japanese. Only on Tinder have I sarcastic replies like "can't you read?". I those cases I give one qualifier (e.g. "Lots of girls use fake names so I always ask" and if she doesn't shape up immediately I quit.
- Be polite. In Japanese use desu/masu.
- If she's messing with you or read you quit: ignore and stop messaging. You don't block unless she's mental and harrassing you or something. Delete if you don't wanna see her. Blocking burns the bridge and makes you look like a pussy tbh (opinion). I only mention this because I used to not quit and see where things would go but the answer was almost universally nowhere good and frankly being the one to quit early preserves some dignity and self-confidence which are invaluable in dealing with the ones who don't quit on. Reasons I usually quit for include but are not limited to:
- rude comments/a sense she is messing with me. These girls are either drunk or using the app just to kill time.
- rude communication -> e.g. "what's your job?" in response to "Hi, I'm The Greek, nice to meet you."
- excessive demands (wants to go somewhere expensive/wants you to pay more than your share)
- outright refusals/contradictions, a genuine lack of will to please on her part e.g. super slow (several day) replies, one word answers to questions etc
- Don't try to be funny. Just don't. I was the class clown back home and consider myself a funny in person. In person and with my friends through messages it works but it rarely goes well online with someone you don't know who doesn't know you. Save the humour for when you're in front of her in person. I keep messages dry.
- Barely touch on sexual matters, if at all. Occasionally you'll get the odd girl who will practically cybersex with you via messaging, but this isn't the goal. Those girls tend to not meet, or do meet and turn out to be way less attractive than their profile had you believing. Most sane girls stop replying when you push too far. If you do push, make sure you are messaging late at night. Otherwise, save it.
- I keep my messages short and to the point, the point being to meet her in person. So I start with a standard introduction and follow up with a few qualifying questions. If the conversations progresses, it's straight to the invitation.
- Invite solidly. Be specific about place, time and I usually give two possible dates. Don't go straight for weekends, for first dates pick days she is less likely to be busy on. Weekdays etc. E.g. "I know a good fried chicken place. Let's meet at Wakaranai Station at 19:00 and have a drink there. I can do Wednesday or Thursday."
- Don't use more exclamation marks or emojis than she does.
- Reply at random intervals or if things are consistent then no sooner than she does. If she takes 5 mins to reply, you take 6. If she takes an hour, wait an hour. Sometimes this can escalate until it just gets longer and longer and the conversation stops. Reply fast sometimes and late others. Cut communications off at midnight and try not to be the one left hanging. Mix it up. Whatever you do, do not instantly reply all the time and also do not leave things more than 24 hours if you are interested in the girl.
- Take rests when it's not going well and you become resentful. Getting few matches/likes, a string of nasty communications or stood up dates can get to you. Do not let any resentment seep into communications with other women. You can get into viscious cycles here. Take a break, focus on work/exercise/hobbies until you feel better and then go back to it.
- If she demands expensive steak for the first date, wtf are you even doing just stop replying to her at that point. If you're keen then maybe allude she might get it later but yeah. It's a poor sign.
- Once you have your date set, stop communicating. If you set it more than two days in advance, run flake defense and confirm a day or two before the date. If she doesn't reply, make other plans. Keep the emphasis on meeting.

Dates:
- If she dotakyans (cancels suddenly or worse stands you up), it's a GG. Unless she offers a solid reschedule together with the cancellation, it's over. Delete and move on. Accept no excuses here for the first/second date. Don't be a dick, if she says she's sick wish her a speedy recovery. But tbh you can probably give up on her at this point.
- Make an effort in your appearance. Dress well, get that haircut etc.
- Know where you are going in general. Have at least the first place picked.
- Like with messaging, be willing to walk out anytime. If it's not going well, bail. If her photo was a lie and she's not your type, have a drink and quit cause you're tired from work or whatever. Make something up. Avoid expensive restaurants and events that are going to take a long time. You wanna be able to ditch anytime so you don't have to put up with anymore shit than you need to.
- Keep venue casual and cheap at first. Calibre of woman doesn't matter. Don't make excuses. Just take her straight to the cheap izakaya like its the most natural thing in the world.
- Drinkers > non-drinkers. Non-drinkers tend to be more uptight and naive in my experience. This is just a preference rather than a deciding factor.
- Bounce between locations. 2 or 3 at least. Have a plan. Use bounces to quit if you feel like it isnt going well.
- Don't ask just do. This being the alpha shit works great. She still has half a drink left? Fuck it, you wanna bounce so call for the check and just leave. She'll follow.
- In general try to keep the interaction on your terms and don't be too eager to please.
- Limit the date length. Don't overdo it and screw the tension. Maybe keep some secrets "I'll tell you next time we meet".
- On the opposite extreme, not everything is a secret/joke. Answer every question with a riddle and she'll suspect you have something to hide and won't meet you again.
- I do not attempt escalation beyond light touching on the first date, maybe a kiss if I think it was going well. That's not to say I havent't slept with women on the first date, but that's not the rule for me. I play it conservatively here.
- Mirror and modulate your body language between keen and "impress me"
- In general the idea of the date is for her to impress you. If she seems to not give enough of a shit to do that, you're gonna have a bad time.
- Ask questions through assumptions. Sometimes you get your assumption right and build a quick connection.

After Dates:
- Follow-up communication saying you enjoyed it no later than the next day.
- Invite her out again quite soon. Leave it too long and she'll move on.
- Second date have a plan to escalate to sex, be it going back to your place or to a hotel. If I haven't slept with a girl by the end of the third date I move on or at least put her down to revisit in a few months. Note sometimes communication and dates can be months apart.
- I've had dates go amazingly only to be straight up blocked after the first encounter. Maybe I didn't push the interaction enough, maybe she was a good actress, who the hell knows? This can still be a shock and a disappointment today. I think sometimes she just finds a better deal and you get cut from the roster. Be prepared to move on.

On Rejection
Do not take it personally. In general, it's not your fault. Remember even after several dates, she doesn't really know you. Sometimes it has nothing to do with you. Sometimes she just isn't motivated/interest/something horrible happens/ work is busy. Whatever. Just be clinical about it, think what (if anything) you could do better next time and move on. Big urban centres in Japan are great cause there's nigh unlimited fish in the sea.

App Specifics
Keep in mind the situation is fluid and apps change their rules and prices and benefits etc. One example is Omiai used to give you a whole bunch of free likes if you tried to quit, but they stopped that cause people like me got wise and would sign up then immediately attempt to quit to get the likes etc. Their rules, systems prices and features all effect the dating marketplace. I typically use them for a month or two then quit completely and rest or move on so If I go back then that lets me take advantage of newbie bonus visibility and likes. In general apps that give you lots of likes to send just mean some girls get thousands of likes (Tapple/Tinder) and have zero motivation to talk. The ones that charge for likes etc have more balanced economies and I find I get more matches/dates on those. But I've found beautiful women that I had medium to long term relationships with on even Tinder (which is the worst of all), so I don't write the less serious apps off completely.

I find many give you visibility boosts when you take a rest. I've had bad runs, then quit (not opened the app) for a week or two to sulk and gone back to find lots of messages and likes had come so maybe keep that in mind too.

- Omiai
- Serious. Gives you a lot of likes which means a lot of them will be ignored. Skews older (25yrs+). Women tend to be chattier once you match here. Has gone downhill lately but I haven't used it for months. Perhaps less genuine than other serious apps.
- Tapple
- Not serious. You get a lot of likes which means most are meaningless. Newbie bonus is essential here. Target the "new members" section, as girls quickly rack up ridiculous like counts and you'll get buried otherwise. A match can be meaningless as many don't reply. Lots of girls use this one to just kill time and waste yours.
- With.is
- Serious. Skews younger. Nicely balanced marketplace. Make sure to do the event of the month so you can send your 10 free likes a day. Recommended. People running it seem to be genunine about having a good product rather than extracting money from you.
- Pairs
- Serious. Lots of girls looking for foreigners here. Skews older. Make sure to join/search in communities related to foreigners and English. Perhaps join a community related to your home country. Not a rip off. Recommended right now.
- Non-dating apps
- Not specifically a dating apps, but anything "international" that involves both sexes can be absolutely used for that. The rules change here slightly too, but are still similar. Basically, maintain the pretense of looking for language exchange in your profile but don't be explicit about it in your messages and treat real meetings with girls like dates. If you try to escalate and she was some KY (naive dummy) that refuses you strongly cause she was meeting you "just for English" then act surprised and cut your losses and move on. Can make some friends here too.
- Tinder
- My god is this fucked but seems better than before. Lots of girls looking for just friendships, language exchange, lots just killing time, ladyboys, scams and hookers etc. I hate this app so much, and yet I picked it up last week for the first time in months and have 3 dates organised from it already. So be aware, don't just like everyone and screw up your ELO and don't take any shit. Tinder girls are the worst, but every now and then there's a keeper and it can be worth it to find her. I want so badly to discount this app altogether but previous successes prevent me from doing so.
- Bumble
- Got matches but never met anyone from here. I don't think it's used much. Feel free to correct me on this.
- CrossMe
- Got matches but never managed to meet anyone. Not well used.
- Ravit Enmusubi(?)
- Got matches but never managed to meet anyone. Not well used?
- Zekushi

I don't use point based apps like YYC or HappyMail. They all seem to be just advertising spaces for hookers/scams and frankly just the monetisation urks me (freaking losing points for every link you click on, ridiculous). Maybe there is success to be found here but it's largely unexplored territory for me. I'm also a cheapskate.

Extras

Girls egos are more fragile than men's. Not enough attention and they get pissy and block you for nothing. Too much and they get demanding or bored and lose interest. No general advice here other than to modulate interest and not beat yourself up too much if it doesn't go well. This varies a lot.

Finally, don't be too thirsty. Have standards. Don't put up with shit and don't bother giving it back. It's not worth it and has seldom lead anywhere good for me.

Experimentation
- Profile Contents: I once purposefully wrote an unpleasant bio on Tapple that I was the jealous type (束縛がはげしい) and that my controlling behaviour had driven away my previous girlfriend. This was a lie, I'm so not jealous usually that I have to remember to be when it's appropriate less I get cucked. Nevertheless, this resulted in a decent influx of matches and messages from masochistic women and led to one short term relationship with a quite attractive woman. This approach does NOT go well on the more serious apps like Pairs, Omiai etc. Sometimes writing some demented shit works and can get you interested demented attention, if you're keen for that kind of thing.

I generally use one app at a time and have never dropped more than 1万 in a month on any given app. This includes paid memership/buying likes.

I think that's about it for now. I will edit this over time. Happy for comments/discussion. Cheers.

Edit 9/30 16:44 - Elaborated on drinkers nondrinkers, mistake fix
Edit 9/30 16:01 - Minor mistake corrections, slight swearing reduction, extra background

Last edited:
Thanks Manager. It's my first time posting anything publicly on the matter so I'm looking forward to any discussion, if any! :)

I went thru a period using the Japanese apps, which entailed doing them in Japanese. Initially, it was interesting and met a few women, plus it pushed my Japanese to new heights (or depths, depending on your POV, (the reviews are on here somewhere) but there seemed to be an influx of Sakura after a year or so that was a turn off. I get the impression this is cyclic. Have you tried any of the Japanese sites?

Yes the situation is definitely fluid. Things get better in one app and worse in another then change again.

What sites do you mean? :D

Lessee, jmail, pcmax, YYC, Digicafe. I also had a friend who used Skout quite well, but he likes pinay, which seemed to be their demo

Thanks. yyc I did try but it seemed to be dodge and I'm prejudice against those point based ones. They seem to be used a lot by professionals but I haven't gambled and had a serious go at it so I can't say.

The others I haven't tried except Skout which like you say has fewer Japanese but resulted in one short term relationship with an attractive slightly older woman that paid for a night at an expensive hotel, so that was a win but haven't really hit it since.

I was able to use them without points, but I had a couple of friends make accounts (which gets points) and two extra emails to send invites too.

I was able to use them without points, but I had a couple of friends make accounts (which gets points) and two extra emails to send invites too.
Thanks I might look into that sometime. I didn't realise you could do that.

Oh lame can you not edit posts after a certain length of time? Damn I keep finding mistakes and thinking of things to add. I'll take more time next time.

Last edited:
Omiai and Pairs is all you really need. Buy membership on those two and you'll have enough matches. All japanese apps have simular pricing: 3000 yen 1 month and discount if you buy 3/6/12 months

Both can be used for hookups just don't be that idiot that confesses his fetish in the first mail or write it on your profile. @majimekun

You forgot to mention two important things:

Yellow card system in Omiai
People can report you for any reason (rude, not seriously looking for marriage, whatever) after 2 yellow cards you're permanently banned and your verification document for age is blacklisted. I called a woman 'weird' on LINE (she was sending me copy/paste messages) before blocking her and a few days later had my first yellow card. If a woman suspects you of 'cheating' or not 'marriage oriented' they can actually REPORT you and if enough ppl do this you are FFKed. So gotta be super cautious. I got banned after 3 months but got my ban unlifted when I contacted support. I told them I had jealous stalker (cause I knew who most likely reported me)

Daily limit on Pairs
On pairs there is a daily(?) limit of msg you can send. I wrote 'マッチングありがとうございます' (japanese love to do this) to all my matches and after 20 min I hit a limit. It seems you can only send x messages per 24h or whatever the limit is. Maybe this restriction gets lifted with premium but the normal membership is already expensive enough so idk.

Japancupid, Okcupid, Tinder are a complete waste of time. They either 1) ugly or 2) visahunters (usually both)

I swear 99% of women on JC looking for a visa to escape Japan. If you're okay with that then that's cool ofc.

- Is she a total bitch? Seriously. Some women write the most arrogant demands or lists of no-gos in their profiles, or straight up write they are there for some rich handsome movie star despite their pic being maybe a 6/10 at best. Sometimes it's a test to filter out wusses, but I feel often they genuinely are that deluded. I dodge these ones.

Gotta love how brutally honest they are. Saves me time weeding out the rotten apples. Women looking for guys who make 10mil yen +++ a year.. I applaud everyone for having standards but when you're 45+ and hit the wall gotta be more realistic :whistle:

Once saw a profile on JC a woman only looking for a black guy cause she wants a black baby. Imagine being a black guy and all you good for is your semen lol. What a turn off.

To add a few tips:
- Never add a girl to social media (or better don't use social media) nothing good comes from it
- Hide your LINE timeline

When a jwoman sees 5 other girls liking your status update some get jealous and ghost you.

Last edited:
1570462911720.jpg

So apparantly not just a daily limit on msg but also a limit on likes you can receive:

1570462909413.jpg

That's a first...

@Lasagna Yes to all of that. Thanks for the info! I usually use for a month, scrap the account and move on then come back.

Most services block you for a month after deleting your account these days. Too many people like me I guess

I've never been carded! I think I did get one strike or something on Omiai but I got them to review it and it was removed. Bitches be crazy

So apparantly not just a daily limit on msg but also a limit on likes you can receive:

1570462909413.jpg

That's a first...

Yeah With has this a lot. Girls can limit the likes they get in a day. Quite sensible really but tbh they should hide them from ur results after that or something. Its annoying

So far i have used only two apps by 1 month, without receiving much matches at all or interesting ones (Ok cupid and tinder)

Most of the girls i have met, were naive girls looking for gaijins from penpal sites.
But if i have to be honest, it's a too long shit for going on more than i did already (2 years)
And now i'm searching a more easy and fast solution..

I have seen that pair is only in japanese, there's other app i can rely on using only english?

Even though I’m a regular TAG user, I do not interact in the forums. This is actually my first entry ever here, and all I have to say is thank you for your contribution.
I’m a 24 years old Latino guy living in Tokyo since January, and I’ve been using Tinder and Bumble ever since I arrived. I’m really into older women, so I have the age settings (30+) in both app. On Tinder I’ve had multiple dates with attractive women, but I’ve had luck with just a few of them. Generally we have a great first date (or that’s what they make me believe) I made them laugh, and generally touch easy topics in order to have a good conversation.

I stopped using Tinder two months ago, I met a 30 year old lady, she was very smart and attractive, we shared the same interests and after four dates I really got into her, and I know she was feeling the same way. On our last date we were walking along the Sumida river near Asakusa station at night, and I opened my heart and told her how much I was into her, and how good I felt being with her, but I had no clue what she was expecting from me. It turns out she felt the same. But, due to her age, she was looking for someone who she could start a family with, something I can not grant her. I’m only 24. And even though I already graduated from University, I haven’t started my career yet. I’m learning Japanese, and while I do so I’m working part-time. So there is no way I can provide her what she was looking for. After hearing my answer she started to cry, we kissed passionately and we parted ways. What a waste...

Even though I’m a regular TAG user, I do not interact in the forums. This is actually my first entry ever here, and all I have to say is thank you for your contribution.
I’m a 24 years old Latino guy living in Tokyo since January, and I’ve been using Tinder and Bumble ever since I arrived. I’m really into older women, so I have the age settings (30+) in both app. On Tinder I’ve had multiple dates with attractive women, but I’ve had luck with just a few of them. Generally we have a great first date (or that’s what they make me believe) I made them laugh, and generally touch easy topics in order to have a good conversation.

I stopped using Tinder two months ago, I met a 30 year old lady, she was very smart and attractive, we shared the same interests and after four dates I really got into her, and I know she was feeling the same way. On our last date we were walking along the Sumida river near Asakusa station at night, and I opened my heart and told her how much I was into her, and how good I felt being with her, but I had no clue what she was expecting from me. It turns out she felt the same. But, due to her age, she was looking for someone who she could start a family with, something I can not grant her. I’m only 24. And even though I already graduated from University, I haven’t started my career yet. I’m learning Japanese, and while I do so I’m working part-time. So there is no way I can provide her what she was looking for. After hearing my answer she started to cry, we kissed passionately and we parted ways. What a waste...
Mate, yeah that's a real shame. I feel bad for you. I understand her point of view, but also yours.

Maybe 12 years ago or so I had a short fling with the mother of an ex-student of mine. I'd moved on from the school, but we stayed in touch and she asked me out! She was hot as hell, and a single mother, so although there was like an 18 year age difference I went for it. We had fun for a short time, but her son was in junior high by then, she was 40 and I was 22 (-ish?), so I had to have "the talk" with her and let both of us move on. It was a bummer at the time, but I knew from the beginning it couldn't really last, so I got over it fairly quickly. I hope you are able to do the same.

All the best, mate.

Awesome summary! I don't do much online but have been thinking about digging in and unearthing some solid strategies. Will definitely use this as a jumping off point

Reactions: thegreek
”If the conversations progresses, it's straight to the invitation.”

1. I know it depends, but when do you consider "conversation progressing" ?

I have over 230 matches in a month on of the above non-tinder apps, but the only girls I've met are the ones that have asked me to meet. Pretty sure I missed a hella lot of opportunities. Also pretty burnt out on endless introduction Q&A conversations with people...
Don't want to push it and be the guy that immediately asks to meet, I tried it once on tinder and didn't work.

2. If they answer all your questions in messaging but never ask you anything, is this a good sign to just bail?

”If the conversations progresses, it's straight to the invitation.”

1. I know it depends, but when do you consider "conversation progressing" ?

I have over 230 matches in a month on of the above non-tinder apps, but the only girls I've met are the ones that have asked me to meet. Pretty sure I missed a hella lot of opportunities. Also pretty burnt out on endless introduction Q&A conversations with people...
Don't want to push it and be the guy that immediately asks to meet, I tried it once on tinder and didn't work.

2. If they answer all your questions in messaging but never ask you anything, is this a good sign to just bail?

1. Basically if you are getting replies at a decent pace and being asked questions back she is probably interested enough. Can I ask if you are using English? English speaking women seem to be more aggressive and will ask you out more often. Japanese-only are pretty much the opposite. But either one you lose nothing by trying. If you get a reaction like its too soon, be cool, have some other communication and try again in like 2 days. If it's still a no then I'd move on.

I get being burned out. I currently am. There's nothing for it but to turn off your phone, go no-fap, do some exercise and get some sleep until you get the will back again.

Oh and always push it. Who cares if you end up being "that guy". The whining you hear from women about "that guy" is just that, whining. Treat it as if it doesn't apply to you because if she is keen she likely won't apply it to you. If she's all principled about it she's either not keen, weird, or serious and will take a decent time to crack (in order of likelihood)

2. That's a sign she's dealing with a lot of men, but not entirely uninterested in you. Either go for it and use all the game you can muster (for advice on that read Synapse and Roosh's books) or cut your losses and move on to an easier target, depending on how keen you are.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: TAG Manager
I have seen that pair is only in japanese, there's other app i can rely on using only english?

Pairs has lots of English speakers, as does Tinder and Bumble. In pairs look in communities related to Eng and foreigners. I often just send my first messages in English and its fine. More replies than you'd think

Can I ask if you are using English?

Hope this helps.

Thanks! will try it, I've moved to almost writing in Japanese only, because had too many that I had zero in common that obviously just wanted free English lessons.

Stupid question: does no-fap make you more motivation to reply to people?

Reactions: thegreek
Stupid question: does no-fap make you more motivation to reply to people?

Not a stupid question lol. I have no idea. Roosh recommends it. I'm unaware of huge scientific evidence either way. Supposedly it helps your testosterone levels and keeps motivation high. Worth a shot! Works for me at least.

Hi there everyone. Call me The Greek. The name is a reference to the character from The Wire, though I am much younger (but like him, not actually Greek). It came to mind randomly. Whatever.

Background
Just some background on me before I get started: I am from an English-speaking country, light-skinned, fluent in Japanese, was involved in the Japanese community moderately back home and have been in Japan for 5 years but Tokyo for only just over 1 year. I am tall, solid, not fat or fit. I stopped counting my notches once they reached the 30s some 6 or 7 years ago and I started forgetting experiences, names etc. Most of my experience has been with Japanese women, back home and here. And most of my meetings have been through apps. My target age range has skewed older than myself but ranges from 8 years younger than me to 12 years older.

My "formal(?)" PUA training consists of having read Sinapse's book and Roosh V's Game. I read both of those first just over a year ago, so quite recently. While I agree with neither fully, both are great resources that I can recommend based on the fact the information provided in them aligned with my own experiences and I was able to put the new advice in both to good use.

I'm arrogant enough to think what I say has value because I have put my experience and knowledge to use helping out several friends and it has worked out well for them. I hope this helps you save some time/energy too.

I'm also a fussy bastard and slowing down these days because my standards have gotten higher with time. The current rule is I won't screw anyone I would be unhappy to get pregnant. This came about after a rather sobering encounter a few years ago where I dropped my standards after a dry stint and the condom came off. So the rules below might change if you just don't give a shit and wanna get laid.

Moving on to apps! Before Tokyo they were a necessity to me overseas and in the inaka. I have had experiecne worth talking about for ages but only really after moving to Tokyo do I feel like the playing field is level and my results are worth talking about/sharing. I feel like when it comes to PUA apps aren't given a fair shake and while many criticisms of them I have read are valid, it seems silly to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Yes they can cost a little and can be time consuming, but you can make them fit your schedule and use them to be a bit more picky about who you meet.

The fact is apps have a place in dating in current year and using apps alone I quickly got to the point in Tokyo where I was having ridiculous weeks meeting 4/5 new women, closing with at least one and my only limiting factors were time, money and energy. Frankly, that was more than enough for me and I have sinced toned it down to put more emphasis on other areas of my life.

There are counterexamples even in my own experience to everything I write here, but in general the following should work more often than not.

This post is for:
- Western men living in Japan or moving to Japan soon who are interested in the apps around and how to get the most of them.

The Basics (As I see them)
- Economics of the dating marketplace apply and in Tokyo and Osaka women have plenty of men, not to mention work competing for their time. Dating requires effort.
- If you're too fat, research intermittant fasting and buy some dumbells.
- Invest in decent threads. Doesn't have to be brand shit. Consider swiping your look from a western celebrity. Get haircuts regularly.
- Facial hair will limit your audience to women who like facial hair (I estimate this at 30pc tops) so consider shaving for broader appeal
- Learn Japanese. This is not a must, and I can't speak for how things go when you can't as I haven't not been able to for over a decade. Plenty of women are there pretty much for foreigners and have their profiles either half or fully in English.

Your Profile
- Pictures are important. I typically work with about 3. Your face and body shape should be ascertainable. Look friendly (smile?) but don't do the open mouthed soyboy grin (I have no data to back that up, I just really hate it) I'm not sure what makes a good photo exactly out side of that, but I know it can be I would recommend against using Snow or some other gay app to change things or be cute or funny. I do know a decent picture can be the difference between 10 matches in a month and 100 in a week. Outside/doing stuff/travelling shots are recommended. Group shots discouraged. I am considering employing a professional one day, but haven't yet.
- Keep it short, simple, vague but intriguing. I keep mine to like 10 sentences max on most sites and like 4 max on not serious/charai apps like Tapple and Tinder (actually not even sentences, more like a list of specs sometimes). I tend to include that I am looking for something serious on the serious sites. I also include a line about WHY I am using the app, which for me is a generic "mostly men in my workplace and busy so it's hard to meet someone new". Ambition looks good too, so perhaps alluding to some lofty dream or plan. I have mentioned I came to Japan to pursue my "dream job" as an example and this has been mentioned by many matches as part of what caught their eye and they are curious about what exactly that job is.
- If your height is not part of your profile, write it down (Tinder). If you are short, then skip this or mention something else you know will appeal. But height is a biggy. I've watched girls skip over well off CEOs cause they were too short. Oof.
- Consider dropping money for premium memberships on top of paid. These usually come with extra likes anyway and the extra visibility can be helpful. Don't go bananas, you shouldn't need to.

Her Profile (What to look out for)
- Are you attracted to her picture/s? If she is hiding her face, assume it's not great. If she is with friends and you don't know which is her, assume it is the least attractive one. If her body is visible and decent, consider sending the like and getting the match but get a facial pic before meeting and accept no excuses. If she resists, quit.
- Does she have kids? Lots of single mothers online.
- Is her age in your range? Generally target your age +- 4 years or so.
- Is she smiling in her photos? This says a lot to me.
- Beware attention whores, e-thots - they usually put their instagram user id in their profile. These girls are looking for fans, not any kind of relationship. If you do proceed, basically ignore that part of the profile and be aware this usually denotes a big personality flaw/need for attention that could hurt you later on.
- I don't care if you think she's your freaking soulmate, if she's got more than 500 likes already then don't even bother. I typically aim for girls with 200 or less likes.
- Many apps show lists of visitors to your profile. Target your likes to the ones in that group that are your type. You have a much higher chance of a match than with randoms that you search for.
- Target new users if the app lets you

Messaging
- Keep openers standard. Even though both our names are written, I usually start by giving my name and asking for hers. I open in English but suffix it with a sentence in Japanese that says she can can reply in either English or Japanese. Only on Tinder have I sarcastic replies like "can't you read?". I those cases I give one qualifier (e.g. "Lots of girls use fake names so I always ask" and if she doesn't shape up immediately I quit.
- Be polite. In Japanese use desu/masu.
- If she's messing with you or read you quit: ignore and stop messaging. You don't block unless she's mental and harrassing you or something. Delete if you don't wanna see her. Blocking burns the bridge and makes you look like a pussy tbh (opinion). I only mention this because I used to not quit and see where things would go but the answer was almost universally nowhere good and frankly being the one to quit early preserves some dignity and self-confidence which are invaluable in dealing with the ones who don't quit on. Reasons I usually quit for include but are not limited to:
- rude comments/a sense she is messing with me. These girls are either drunk or using the app just to kill time.
- rude communication -> e.g. "what's your job?" in response to "Hi, I'm The Greek, nice to meet you."
- excessive demands (wants to go somewhere expensive/wants you to pay more than your share)
- outright refusals/contradictions, a genuine lack of will to please on her part e.g. super slow (several day) replies, one word answers to questions etc
- Don't try to be funny. Just don't. I was the class clown back home and consider myself a funny in person. In person and with my friends through messages it works but it rarely goes well online with someone you don't know who doesn't know you. Save the humour for when you're in front of her in person. I keep messages dry.
- Barely touch on sexual matters, if at all. Occasionally you'll get the odd girl who will practically cybersex with you via messaging, but this isn't the goal. Those girls tend to not meet, or do meet and turn out to be way less attractive than their profile had you believing. Most sane girls stop replying when you push too far. If you do push, make sure you are messaging late at night. Otherwise, save it.
- I keep my messages short and to the point, the point being to meet her in person. So I start with a standard introduction and follow up with a few qualifying questions. If the conversations progresses, it's straight to the invitation.
- Invite solidly. Be specific about place, time and I usually give two possible dates. Don't go straight for weekends, for first dates pick days she is less likely to be busy on. Weekdays etc. E.g. "I know a good fried chicken place. Let's meet at Wakaranai Station at 19:00 and have a drink there. I can do Wednesday or Thursday."
- Don't use more exclamation marks or emojis than she does.
- Reply at random intervals or if things are consistent then no sooner than she does. If she takes 5 mins to reply, you take 6. If she takes an hour, wait an hour. Sometimes this can escalate until it just gets longer and longer and the conversation stops. Reply fast sometimes and late others. Cut communications off at midnight and try not to be the one left hanging. Mix it up. Whatever you do, do not instantly reply all the time and also do not leave things more than 24 hours if you are interested in the girl.
- Take rests when it's not going well and you become resentful. Getting few matches/likes, a string of nasty communications or stood up dates can get to you. Do not let any resentment seep into communications with other women. You can get into viscious cycles here. Take a break, focus on work/exercise/hobbies until you feel better and then go back to it.
- If she demands expensive steak for the first date, wtf are you even doing just stop replying to her at that point. If you're keen then maybe allude she might get it later but yeah. It's a poor sign.
- Once you have your date set, stop communicating. If you set it more than two days in advance, run flake defense and confirm a day or two before the date. If she doesn't reply, make other plans. Keep the emphasis on meeting.

Dates:
- If she dotakyans (cancels suddenly or worse stands you up), it's a GG. Unless she offers a solid reschedule together with the cancellation, it's over. Delete and move on. Accept no excuses here for the first/second date. Don't be a dick, if she says she's sick wish her a speedy recovery. But tbh you can probably give up on her at this point.
- Make an effort in your appearance. Dress well, get that haircut etc.
- Know where you are going in general. Have at least the first place picked.
- Like with messaging, be willing to walk out anytime. If it's not going well, bail. If her photo was a lie and she's not your type, have a drink and quit cause you're tired from work or whatever. Make something up. Avoid expensive restaurants and events that are going to take a long time. You wanna be able to ditch anytime so you don't have to put up with anymore shit than you need to.
- Keep venue casual and cheap at first. Calibre of woman doesn't matter. Don't make excuses. Just take her straight to the cheap izakaya like its the most natural thing in the world.
- Drinkers > non-drinkers. Non-drinkers tend to be more uptight and naive in my experience. This is just a preference rather than a deciding factor.
- Bounce between locations. 2 or 3 at least. Have a plan. Use bounces to quit if you feel like it isnt going well.
- Don't ask just do. This being the alpha shit works great. She still has half a drink left? Fuck it, you wanna bounce so call for the check and just leave. She'll follow.
- In general try to keep the interaction on your terms and don't be too eager to please.
- Limit the date length. Don't overdo it and screw the tension. Maybe keep some secrets "I'll tell you next time we meet".
- On the opposite extreme, not everything is a secret/joke. Answer every question with a riddle and she'll suspect you have something to hide and won't meet you again.
- I do not attempt escalation beyond light touching on the first date, maybe a kiss if I think it was going well. That's not to say I havent't slept with women on the first date, but that's not the rule for me. I play it conservatively here.
- Mirror and modulate your body language between keen and "impress me"
- In general the idea of the date is for her to impress you. If she seems to not give enough of a shit to do that, you're gonna have a bad time.
- Ask questions through assumptions. Sometimes you get your assumption right and build a quick connection.

After Dates:
- Follow-up communication saying you enjoyed it no later than the next day.
- Invite her out again quite soon. Leave it too long and she'll move on.
- Second date have a plan to escalate to sex, be it going back to your place or to a hotel. If I haven't slept with a girl by the end of the third date I move on or at least put her down to revisit in a few months. Note sometimes communication and dates can be months apart.
- I've had dates go amazingly only to be straight up blocked after the first encounter. Maybe I didn't push the interaction enough, maybe she was a good actress, who the hell knows? This can still be a shock and a disappointment today. I think sometimes she just finds a better deal and you get cut from the roster. Be prepared to move on.

On Rejection
Do not take it personally. In general, it's not your fault. Remember even after several dates, she doesn't really know you. Sometimes it has nothing to do with you. Sometimes she just isn't motivated/interest/something horrible happens/ work is busy. Whatever. Just be clinical about it, think what (if anything) you could do better next time and move on. Big urban centres in Japan are great cause there's nigh unlimited fish in the sea.

App Specifics
Keep in mind the situation is fluid and apps change their rules and prices and benefits etc. One example is Omiai used to give you a whole bunch of free likes if you tried to quit, but they stopped that cause people like me got wise and would sign up then immediately attempt to quit to get the likes etc. Their rules, systems prices and features all effect the dating marketplace. I typically use them for a month or two then quit completely and rest or move on so If I go back then that lets me take advantage of newbie bonus visibility and likes. In general apps that give you lots of likes to send just mean some girls get thousands of likes (Tapple/Tinder) and have zero motivation to talk. The ones that charge for likes etc have more balanced economies and I find I get more matches/dates on those. But I've found beautiful women that I had medium to long term relationships with on even Tinder (which is the worst of all), so I don't write the less serious apps off completely.

I find many give you visibility boosts when you take a rest. I've had bad runs, then quit (not opened the app) for a week or two to sulk and gone back to find lots of messages and likes had come so maybe keep that in mind too.

- Omiai
- Serious. Gives you a lot of likes which means a lot of them will be ignored. Skews older (25yrs+). Women tend to be chattier once you match here. Has gone downhill lately but I haven't used it for months. Perhaps less genuine than other serious apps.
- Tapple
- Not serious. You get a lot of likes which means most are meaningless. Newbie bonus is essential here. Target the "new members" section, as girls quickly rack up ridiculous like counts and you'll get buried otherwise. A match can be meaningless as many don't reply. Lots of girls use this one to just kill time and waste yours.
- With.is
- Serious. Skews younger. Nicely balanced marketplace. Make sure to do the event of the month so you can send your 10 free likes a day. Recommended. People running it seem to be genunine about having a good product rather than extracting money from you.
- Pairs
- Serious. Lots of girls looking for foreigners here. Skews older. Make sure to join/search in communities related to foreigners and English. Perhaps join a community related to your home country. Not a rip off. Recommended right now.
- Non-dating apps
- Not specifically a dating apps, but anything "international" that involves both sexes can be absolutely used for that. The rules change here slightly too, but are still similar. Basically, maintain the pretense of looking for language exchange in your profile but don't be explicit about it in your messages and treat real meetings with girls like dates. If you try to escalate and she was some KY (naive dummy) that refuses you strongly cause she was meeting you "just for English" then act surprised and cut your losses and move on. Can make some friends here too.
- Tinder
- My god is this fucked but seems better than before. Lots of girls looking for just friendships, language exchange, lots just killing time, ladyboys, scams and escorts etc. I hate this app so much, and yet I picked it up last week for the first time in months and have 3 dates organised from it already. So be aware, don't just like everyone and screw up your ELO and don't take any shit. Tinder girls are the worst, but every now and then there's a keeper and it can be worth it to find her. I want so badly to discount this app altogether but previous successes prevent me from doing so.
- Bumble
- Got matches but never met anyone from here. I don't think it's used much. Feel free to correct me on this.
- CrossMe
- Ravit Enmusubi(?)
- Got matches but never managed to meet anyone. Not well used?
- Zekushi

I don't use point based apps like YYC or HappyMail. They all seem to be just advertising spaces for escorts/scams and frankly just the monetisation urks me (freaking losing points for every link you click on, ridiculous). Maybe there is success to be found here but it's largely unexplored territory for me. I'm also a cheapskate.

Extras

Girls egos are more fragile than men's. Not enough attention and they get pissy and block you for nothing. Too much and they get demanding or bored and lose interest. No general advice here other than to modulate interest and not beat yourself up too much if it doesn't go well. This varies a lot.

Finally, don't be too thirsty. Have standards. Don't put up with shit and don't bother giving it back. It's not worth it and has seldom lead anywhere good for me.

Experimentation
- Profile Contents: I once purposefully wrote an unpleasant bio on Tapple that I was the jealous type (束縛がはげしい) and that my controlling behaviour had driven away my previous girlfriend. This was a lie, I'm so not jealous usually that I have to remember to be when it's appropriate less I get cucked. Nevertheless, this resulted in a decent influx of matches and messages from masochistic women and led to one short term relationship with a quite attractive woman. This approach does NOT go well on the more serious apps like Pairs, Omiai etc. Sometimes writing some demented shit works and can get you interested demented attention, if you're keen for that kind of thing.

I generally use one app at a time and have never dropped more than 1万 in a month on any given app. This includes paid memership/buying likes.

I think that's about it for now. I will edit this over time. Happy for comments/discussion. Cheers.

Edit 9/30 16:44 - Elaborated on drinkers nondrinkers, mistake fix
Edit 9/30 16:01 - Minor mistake corrections, slight swearing reduction, extra background

On top of everything you just said, I might add that finding your niche is crucial in any potential success of bedding the women you are messaging..personally, I'm hardwired to know which women may or may not be interested in me just by looking at them... Eg.most Japanese women who are into black men have a certain aura about them..hard to exlpain.

Harlem in shibuya is good quality of hip-hop.
Is a lot Japanese, black and all kind ladies .

I often see "don't be fat" as a prerequisite for guys to attract Japanese women. I'm a big guy whose had a lot of success here, from cute and smart college girls to hot women in their 50s. I met most of them on dating apps. Personality and how interesting you are as a person often go a long way.

There have only been a few times when women ended up calling things off strictly because of my weight. And even those gave me a chance and went out on a date or two.

One woman with model-level attractiveness is trying to motivate me to lost weight by saying she'll perform certain sexual acts (I'll keep those to myself for now, lol) with me when I'm under 100 kg. Still working toward that goal, but she's still seeing me.

There are also Japanese women out there who LIKE bigger men.

I don't think telling guys to fast or exercise is bad advice at all. I'm just here to tell those who are overweight not to be discouraged.