Guest viewing is limited

Do openers really matter? A curious story from my first night of nampa

vittu

TAG Member
Reaction score
this story took place on golden week but I’ve been too busy to make a proper write up.

this was my first real in-field nampa experience (i’ve done it in bars but never on the streets) and i wanted to share my experience

Background:
on friday i went to an izakaya with friends. After we parted ways i was wondering around aimlessly drinking and smoking, thinking of where to go / what to do. I went to hub for a brief drink but the meat market atmosphere was quite off-putting even though i had several women approach me (mainly older OL type). As i was leaving i got a message from a girl who had been ghosting me. She asked me if i was free. I said “yeah, where are you?”. She had also been ditched by her friends and was now in shinjuku alone. We met up, drank together, missed the last train, and ended up taking a cab back to my place around ~4am. Overall a pretty normal night turned out fun.

Now this is where the funny part really starts… After she left my apartment in the morning, i decided to watch one of my favourite movies in bed whilst trying to recuperate from the night before. This may seem irrelevant now, but it'll play a role later in this story.

That evening, high off the confidence from my last night’s success, I decided to hit up shinjuku again. This time much later (around 22:00). I made a promise to myself to not go to any bar and solely attempt meeting people off the streets. I started by observing some japanese nampa guys near the station, because it’s quite entertaining tbh. Once i had mustered the courage to “finally do it”, i started walking around. There were a lot of nampa guys about that night as was to be expected so initially i had a hard time finding a spot to post up at. Eventually i thought fuck it and decided to just approach anyone walking around/standing. I approached 3 girls with not much success. I did get one’s line ID, but she has ghosted my messages since.

Then near the intersection.. I saw her. A tall artsy looking girl with those thinly framed glasses, my kryptonite. She was on her phone leaning against a wall so I initially felt hesitant to approach. Then when I saw her taking off her headphones, I knew this was my opportunity. While approaching I had already thought of the different witty openers to use. As I got close, she looked up and my mind completely blanked...

Without hesitation or any real conscious awareness I simply said “パイナップル 好き?” / “do you like pineapples” (+1 point to anyone who gets this movie reference). She gave me an odd but amused look and said “nani??” so I repeated the question. She chuckled and said that’s the weirdest thing she’s heard all day, but yes.. they’re delicious. Seeing as she clearly wasn’t creeped out by my approach and seemed to be curious i started asking about her plans for the night / what she did that day. Our conversation actually flowed surprisingly well and she would ask me questions back (other than the run of the mill “where from??”). I suggested we continue talking at a nearby izakaya I like. She agreed and we go to the said izakaya. I’m already rambling and writing too much so to keep it short, we clicked, missed the last train, and end up spending the night together at a hotel.

I used to put a lot of emphasis on having an arsenal of "good" openers so the fact that something so plain and dumb worked absolutely cracks me up. Maybe it is the way and/or confidence with which you say things that's more important than the content itself?

TL;DR
I went out to solo nampa for the first time and was able to have a SNL after opening with a dumb quote from a movie.

Last edited:
Pick up is really 95% about your looks.
Girls know its most likely only gonna be a hookup so although we rather get courted by a Casanova than a dork, nobody is gonna entertain the interesting and funny ugmo.

Types are subjective though. It seems like your young gaijin factor is hitting the right spot with some people.

If a guy is my type, he can basically say anything except nagging. And even then, i can actually like sexual teasing (something like “are you paipan?”) but insults are bound to piss me off. But something about pineapples? Why not.

I used to put a lot of emphasis on having an arsenal of "good" openers so the fact that something so plain and dumb worked absolutely cracks me up. Maybe it is the way and/or confidence with which you say things that's more important than the content itself?

You nailed it. Being able to not take things too seriously or formally, open confidently with solid body language, voice tone, and eye contact, and not triggering any "weirdo" alarms and you can say almost anything. It matters much more what you follow up with than what you open with.

Pick up is really 95% about your looks.
Girls know its most likely only gonna be a hookup so although we rather get courted by a Casanova than a dork, nobody is gonna entertain the interesting and funny ugmo.

I reaaaaaaaaally disagree with this 95% figure. I suggest you instead say:

For me, pick up is really 95% about your looks.
I personally think its most likely only gonna be a hookup so although I'd rather get courted by a Casanova than a dork, I'm not gonna entertain the interesting and funny ugmo.

Having spoken with large swaths of women from all segments and sectors of society after the approach and including a lot of my friends and students, I can assure you that many women have no thoughts that it will be "just a hook up" at all. On top of that, if you think it's "95%" looks please PLEASE throw me in against a male model and I'll show you exactly why you're wrong. While out especially in bars/clubs I regularly take girls away from guys who are more "classically" good-looking than myself.

One of the guys who originally taught me pickup was a short, balding dude with a gap tooth and he regularly "stole" girls from guys in bars who were taller, more good looking, cleaner, etc BY FAR than him.

Anyway, it's possible that Alice places a lot of weight on looks, but I think that's often not the case at all with many women. Either way, you can't change your looks aside from grooming, fashion, and style, so why worry about it. What you CAN change is your approach, the fundamentals, and the way you move the interaction forward. This, more than anything, has the largest effect on your success.

A recent example from I guy I coached 2hrs. If you can go from 20% to 50% (or even 70%) that is NOT your looks (which obviously stay the same).

gameimprovements.png

You're the lowest form of life.

The women come by choice. They are choosing the mate they prefer.

Or do you think they are incapable of making the best decision for themselves?

Reactions: SoapFTW
Dude, all the girls in the world should refuse not only to sleep with you but also even to talk with you.

Goddammit, that's a three button suit jacket, the rule is "sometimes, always, never" from top to bottom. So button that middle one right now!

Fit your clothes a bit better and try out some contacts. You'll do fine, just keep approaching ;)
Dude, all the girls in the world should refuse not only to sleep with you but also even to talk with you.

Goddammit, that's a three button suit jacket, the rule is "sometimes, always, never" from top to bottom. So button that middle one right now!

LOL i can't believe you guys actually thought this was me... google search this image and it will pop up on all 4chan/reddit cringe threads

LOL i can't believe you guys actually thought this was me... google search this image and it will pop up on all 4chan/reddit cringe threads
He doesn't look bad, he just needs some fashion help. He has the potential to look very attractive.

....okkkkkk you’re soooo hilariousss :rolleyes:

Why would you troll your own thread? Kind of thing makes nobody want to give you advice Or feedback anymore

Why would you troll your own thread? Kind of thing makes nobody want to give you advice Or feedback anymore

that's fair, my bad for the shitty attempt at humouring myself hahah

while i welcome all and any advice I wanted to make this thread to show that if a complete newbie like myself can make it work, so can anyone. Perhaps there was beginner's luck involved? Hard to say. Either way, I wanted to tell people with similar experience levels as myself that the opener really bares little to no importance and after realizing you'll have far less approach anxiety.

that's fair, my bad for the shitty attempt at humouring myself hahah

while i welcome all and any advice I wanted to make this thread to show that if a complete newbie like myself can make it work, so can anyone. Perhaps there was beginner's luck involved? Hard to say. Either way, I wanted to tell people with similar experience levels as myself that the opener really bares little to no importance and after realizing you'll have far less approach anxiety.
There's what, 13 million people in Tokyo? That's pretty good odds that just about anyone can be successful here.
You just need the balls to go out and do it and know how to let failures roll off your back.

That's pretty good odds that just about anyone can be successful here.

Hell, when even guys like me can get laid regularly by young tight spinners that really shows you the power of big numbers.

And the sad state of the mental health in Japan when even the girls who should be in closed asylums get to roam the streets free.

Reactions: LKjdklfje64j
The women come by choice. They are choosing the mate they prefer.

Or do you think they are incapable of making the best decision for themselves?
In my case they don't, I know your tricks and you get shut down straight away. I learned from years of guys trying to "steal" my stunning cousin when I'm out with her. Guys like you are a social pest, abusing social norms and annoying people.

Did you or any of your students ever find himself shoved up against a wall in a Hub with a forearm across your carotid seconds away from passing out? The fear in that guy's eyes palpable, knew he was in trouble when he saw me coming at him across the room. All his "inner game" disappeared instantly. We can include that in your boot camps if you like.

There's what, 13 million people in Tokyo? That's pretty good odds that just about anyone can be successful here.
You just need the balls to go out and do it and know how to let failures roll off your back.
I do think that every girl has a different type, and that if you don’t approach them you can’t know if you’re that type or not.
But i don’t believe in convincing someone who’s not attracted to you to sleep with you for fun. Maybe someone with low self esteem, that is.

In my case they don't, I know your tricks and you get shut down straight away. I learned from years of guys trying to "steal" my stunning cousin when I'm out with her. Guys like you are a social pest, abusing social norms and annoying people.

Did you or any of your students ever find himself shoved up against a wall in a Hub with a forearm across your carotid seconds away from passing out? The fear in that guy's eyes palpable, knew he was in trouble when he saw me coming at him across the room. All his "inner game" disappeared instantly. We can include that in your boot camps if you like.

You seem like the real pest here, assaulting guys for talking to women you claim ownership over

But i don’t believe in convincing someone who’s not attracted to you to sleep with you for fun. Maybe someone with low self esteem, that is.

It’s not “convincing,” it’s voluntary. And women find many things attractive. Do I really need to whip out the scientific studies?

Reactions: MossBoss

Yeah making fun of someone else's looks is not nice and a liiiittle bit immature.

this story took place on golden week but I’ve been too busy to make a proper write up.

this was my first real in-field nampa experience (i’ve done it in bars but never on the streets) and i wanted to share my experience

Background:
on friday i went to an izakaya with friends. After we parted ways i was wondering around aimlessly drinking and smoking, thinking of where to go / what to do. I went to hub for a brief drink but the meat market atmosphere was quite off-putting even though i had several women approach me (mainly older OL type). As i was leaving i got a message from a girl who had been ghosting me. She asked me if i was free. I said “yeah, where are you?”. She had also been ditched by her friends and was now in shinjuku alone. We met up, drank together, missed the last train, and ended up taking a cab back to my place around ~4am. Overall a pretty normal night turned out fun.

Now this is where the funny part really starts… After she left my apartment in the morning, i decided to watch one of my favourite movies in bed whilst trying to recuperate from the night before. This may seem irrelevant now, but it'll play a role later in this story.

That evening, high off the confidence from my last night’s success, I decided to hit up shinjuku again. This time much later (around 22:00). I made a promise to myself to not go to any bar and solely attempt meeting people off the streets. I started by observing some japanese nampa guys near the station, because it’s quite entertaining tbh. Once i had mustered the courage to “finally do it”, i started walking around. There were a lot of nampa guys about that night as was to be expected so initially i had a hard time finding a spot to post up at. Eventually i thought fuck it and decided to just approach anyone walking around/standing. I approached 3 girls with not much success. I did get one’s line ID, but she has ghosted my messages since.

Then near the intersection.. I saw her. A tall artsy looking girl with those thinly framed glasses, my kryptonite. She was on her phone leaning against a wall so I initially felt hesitant to approach. Then when I saw her taking off her headphones, I knew this was my opportunity. While approaching I had already thought of the different witty openers to use. As I got close, she looked up and my mind completely blanked...

Without hesitation or any real conscious awareness I simply said “パイナップル 好き?” / “do you like pineapples” (+1 point to anyone who gets this movie reference). She gave me an odd but amused look and said “nani??” so I repeated the question. She chuckled and said that’s the weirdest thing she’s heard all day, but yes.. they’re delicious. Seeing as she clearly wasn’t creeped out by my approach and seemed to be curious i started asking about her plans for the night / what she did that day. Our conversation actually flowed surprisingly well and she would ask me questions back (other than the run of the mill “where from??”). I suggested we continue talking at a nearby izakaya I like. She agreed and we go to the said izakaya. I’m already rambling and writing too much so to keep it short, we clicked, missed the last train, and end up spending the night together at a hotel.

TL;DR
I went out to solo nampa for the first time and was able to have a SNL after opening with a dumb quote from a movie.

Hey man, for me that was hilarious! I even was laughing more about your name in TAG. Do you know the meaning of "vittu" in Finnish language? LOL!

Hey man, for me that was hilarious! I even was laughing more about your name in TAG. Do you know the meaning of "vittu" in Finnish language? LOL!
Perkele! :p

My post wasn’t about convincing someone to have sex, I was speaking more to just meeting new people. I’m not into the random pickup game. :)

Reactions: Simonka