Guest viewing is limited

Do you ever go out alone?

@Chocoballs
I usually don't hit huge bars like in hotels. If you hit the typical japanese bar, it's usually quite narrow. Once I order in Japanese and everyone's fear that I'm an alien they can't communicate with goes away, it usually takes a minute till someone starts a conversation with me.
Probably not the best places for pickup, but if you are just looking to drink and meet some new people...

Ill be alone in Japan for a while when i visit >.<
Can anyone recommend any bars or clubs or lounges that might be fun if u go alone?
Like friendly places....Maybe standing bars with share tables or something with kind of an open concept if u guys know what i mean. Im 30 and white if that helps with ur recommendation

Can anyone recommend any bars or clubs or lounges that might be fun if u go alone?
Like friendly places....Maybe standing bars with share tables or something with kind of an open concept if u guys know what i mean. Im 30 and white if that helps with ur recommendation

I've always had fun at any pub that has a few dart machines. I order a drink and start playing darts and it won't be long until someone starts playing at the machine beside me.

If a single female starts playing at the machine beside you, she wants to talk, so don't be afraid about inviting her to play a game.

I've also had a lot of fun at bars with open karaoke, but I can sing pretty good.

It also pays to learn a Japanese song or two.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
there is a small cheap standing bar in shibuya called tatsu-ichi. I've been there a couple of times and it seemed nice.

Why does everyone say that if you come with your friends you have to leave with them though?
We're adults. If someone wants to go home and the other has landed well in a nice atomsphere and met some new people who seem decent, i dont see a problem with spitting up later.
And what happened to the "wingman" idea? Isn't it supposed to be easier to hook up with people if you have friends who can also mingle.
+1
many times I went out with a crew and ended the night with a completely different one

there is a small cheap standing bar in shibuya called tatsu-ichi. I've been there a couple of times and it seemed nice.
The pictures online make the place look really chill!! I will definitely check it out. I have an offline map application that lets me save places so that i can remember where i wanna go :D

The pictures online make the place look really chill!! I will definitely check it out. I have an offline map application that lets me save places so that i can remember where i wanna go :D
it's easy to get there, if you take the hachiko exit in shibuya station just cross on the right and go straight in the walking street on the left side of starbucks. you'll find the tatsuichi a little after you pass cross mcdonald.

ps : what's the name of the offline map app ? sounds interesting.

I can go to a movie by myself. But at a bar, I would think that everyone is looking at me and thinks "that loser is standing there all alone". Of course no one cares but that is just the thought that goes through my mind.

I had the same mentality, and still kinda do, when travelling alone in Japan. There are certain activities just feels awkward to do when you're on your own, like eating out at a restaurant....which is VERY strange when you think about it, since I'm sure many of us would be perfectly fine sitting alone at a cafe.

Anyway, my suggestion is to simply go and do it. Yeah it'll be awkward at first, but the feeling usually goes away once you settle in.

Why does everyone say that if you come with your friends you have to leave with them though?
We're adults. If someone wants to go home and the other has landed well in a nice atomsphere and met some new people who seem decent, i dont see a problem with spitting up later.
And what happened to the "wingman" idea? Isn't it supposed to be easier to hook up with people if you have friends who can also mingle.
40577891.jpg

it's easy to get there, if you take the hachiko exit in shibuya station just cross on the right and go straight in the walking street on the left side of starbucks. you'll find the tatsuichi a little after you pass cross mcdonald.

ps : what's the name of the offline map app ? sounds interesting.
Thanks for the info!! You're so helpful on here.

On the android google store search for maps.me. its a green icon.

Essentially you can download a map (looks similar to google map) for a whole city. (Docit when u have wifi). Then... when you're out and about the city with no data or wifi. You can still look at the map and your location will be there becausecof your GPS. Its called maps.ME cuz its really for u.. you can insert points of attraction. bars restaurants cafes...etc. It also shows u other places that ppl have labelled. You can 'favoeite" any location that someone labelled or u yourself labelled. All with no internet connection reqd. It doenst have every stoee or shop cuz its not looking at google maps database.. it has its own database based off what other people and yourself input.

When i open the map and go to tokyo... its litered with all the places i hit as favorites ...and they're all clubs or bars hahaha and tokyo tower too i think. Lol

Thanks for the info!! You're so helpful on here.

On the android google store search for maps.me. its a green icon.

Essentially you can download a map (looks similar to google map) for a whole city. (Docit when u have wifi). Then... when you're out and about the city with no data or wifi. You can still look at the map and your location will be there becausecof your GPS. Its called maps.ME cuz its really for u.. you can insert points of attraction. bars restaurants cafes...etc. It also shows u other places that ppl have labelled. You can 'favoeite" any location that someone labelled or u yourself labelled. All with no internet connection reqd. It doenst have every stoee or shop cuz its not looking at google maps database.. it has its own database based off what other people and yourself input.

When i open the map and go to tokyo... its litered with all the places i hit as favorites ...and they're all clubs or bars hahaha and tokyo tower too i think. Lol
thanks for the app, it's an useful hint for times without internet (y)

@Chocoballs
I usually don't hit huge bars like in hotels. If you hit the typical japanese bar, it's usually quite narrow. Once I order in Japanese and everyone's fear that I'm an alien they can't communicate with goes away, it usually takes a minute till someone starts a conversation with me.
Probably not the best places for pickup, but if you are just looking to drink and meet some new people...
Actually, it's not bad for pickup. I get cute girls (and of course everybody else except old men, who never seem to want to talk to me) starting conversations even if they're across the bar. Although in my case it's more like... eeeehhhh!! really! I thought you were Japanese! etc. after I eventually make some mistake speaking and tell them it isn't my first language

I love going to bars alone to meet new people. It really is one of the best and easiest ways to make new friends or just have a fun night out with new people.

When I was younger, I hated going anywhere alone. I felt awkward, out of place, you know, the type of 'persecution complex' some people in the thread described.

I won't lie - sometimes I get this feeling now too, but that's mostly if other parts of my daily life are imbalanced. For example, if I'm feeling low, worried about something, this kind of stuff.

Gradually, however, I've grown somewhat comfortable with exploring by myself. It can be a hit or miss - either a bit lonely, or a full blast, but when it's a full blast, it's glorious. No, I don't mean crazy, wild parties etc. as the blast part. Rather, I'm speaking of a very peculiar feeling of...freedom and detachment of everything around you.

This is, by the way, one of the things I love about living here. You can just go somewhere alone and be incognito for the night, just as if you didn't exist outside of this short timeframe. A little bit akin to some of Murakami Haruki's books. I couldn't get that back in the West, to be honest.

Maybe this post was a bit too long-winded, but whatever :D

When I was younger, I hated going anywhere alone. I felt awkward, out of place, you know, the type of 'persecution complex' some people in the thread described.

I won't lie - sometimes I get this feeling now too, but that's mostly if other parts of my daily life are imbalanced. For example, if I'm feeling low, worried about something, this kind of stuff.

Gradually, however, I've grown somewhat comfortable with exploring by myself. It can be a hit or miss - either a bit lonely, or a full blast, but when it's a full blast, it's glorious. No, I don't mean crazy, wild parties etc. as the blast part. Rather, I'm speaking of a very peculiar feeling of...freedom and detachment of everything around you.

This is, by the way, one of the things I love about living here. You can just go somewhere alone and be incognito for the night, just as if you didn't exist outside of this short timeframe. A little bit akin to some of Murakami Haruki's books. I couldn't get that back in the West, to be honest.

Maybe this post was a bit too long-winded, but whatever :D

Not too long-winded , and thanks. It resonated with my own experience. After so many years here I feel in fact much more comfortable going out alone in Tokyo than in western countries.

Reactions: Pansexual latina
I was alone too, i have been to the club "womb" on the Meyrin recommendation, and this club is really nice, a lot of cute girls and good music.
http://www.womb.co.jp/

Thank God that life in Tokyo does not stink as bad as his books do.
Amen to that. Fools raving over Murakami books or the movie "Tanpopo": not my cup of tea. :wtf::ROFLMAO:

I travel alone, so when I go out drinking it's always alone, but I tend to make friends easily while drinking and at the smallest bars I can find. Back at home I never go out in general really, but on the rare occasion that I do, it's with friends. Drinking alone in Japan was actually fantastic, made some nice friends there.

Not too long-winded , and thanks. It resonated with my own experience. After so many years here I feel in fact much more comfortable going out alone in Tokyo than in western countries.
c'est normal, Japan is safer and cleaner than anyplace. sober or drunk, you can walk anywhere at any time without worrying.