Do you think the pension office and immigration are becoming more interconnected?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
I believe that the pension system might become stricter towards foreigners about paying as each year goes by and maybe by showing your records of pension payments to immigration, it might help smooth out the visa renewal process...but who knows.

So I actually misplaced my pension card and needed to request a new one be delivered to my registered address, which is my wife's mother's place. When the delivery guy came to deliver the pension card, my wife's mother was yelling at the guy about how I don't even live there anymore and why is he delivering the pension card to her address, etc. This happened about a week ago, and I just applied for my spouse visa renewal this week.

I don't think the pension office and immigration are in direct communication with each other, but that incident left me feeling a little uneasy. Do you guys think that the pension office might tip off immigration about me not living there?

Ma boy, ma boy. Mothers in law are a pain in the ass to deal wit', I can tell ya. Mine still all huffy since my fist met her face a few months ago. What can I do.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Ma boy, ma boy. Mothers in law are a pain in the ass to deal wit', I can tell ya. Mine still all huffy since my fist met her face a few months ago. What can I do.

The last part of your post...no way that is true...right? I hope that didn't happen lol.

I don't want to rent my own apartment until after I obtain at least a 3 year spouse visa, but they keep giving me 1 year spouse visas. Well, I filed my taxes and paid a lot of my pension this year, so if I get another 1 year spouse visa, I will assume it is either from this incident or due to my employment situation.

There is also the chance of not getting my visa renewed at all...

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
There is also the chance of not getting my visa renewed at all...

If your post history is indicative of your true life, I think you'll continue to get 1 year visas.

Job, Income and taxes paid are more of the key markers. If you are reporting different addresses, be sure that your city hall registration is accurate.

I had a issue before where the government didn't believe my address was real which caused some issues but finally was resolved and sending back some forms.

It's a roll of the dice anyway... Never know who's reviewing your renewal and if they are in a good mood or not.

If your post history is indicative of your true life, I think you'll continue to get 1 year visas.

Job, Income and taxes paid are more of the key markers. If you are reporting different addresses, be sure that your city hall registration is accurate.

I had a issue before where the government didn't believe my address was real which caused some issues but finally was resolved and sending back some forms.

It's a roll of the dice anyway... Never know who's reviewing your renewal and if they are in a good mood or not.

So even if I'm working part time at more than one school, but earning a decent amount of money...a 3 year spouse visa is an automatic no? Is a full time job at a well known company the only way to get a 3 or 5 year spouse visa extension?

So even if I'm working part time at more than one school, but earning a decent amount of money...a 3 year spouse visa is an automatic no? Is a full time job at a well known company the only way to get a 3 or 5 year spouse visa extension?

Let's just say that the guy working at a big company is 99% more likely to get the longer visa. Your case is simply 50/50.

If you've been married for 5 or more years - you should be able to apply for PR.

Let's just say that the guy working at a big company is 99% more likely to get the longer visa. Your case is simply 50/50.

If you've been married for 5 or more years - you should be able to apply for PR.

Well, my wife is working part time as well. Do they not take that into account at all when I apply for a longer visa extension? Some of the paperwork for the application have my wife fill out this information, so I thought it counted for something.

Well, I just hope the dice roll is a good one this year lol.

With the "my number" system expansion, I imagine big brother is watching every move you make.
In fact the standard BGM at all immigration offices has recently been changed to a loop of the song by the Police.

"Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every orgasm you fake
Every step you take
I'll be watching you"

You'll be at the doctor and he'll remind you ward tax is due.
You'll be at Town Office and they'll ask if the infection has cleared up.
You'll be at the tax office and they'll let you the shaken on your car will expire next month.
You'll be in the Docomo office and they'll remind you to get your influenza vaccine.

It's all a big conspiracy I tell you.

Now where is the tinfoil.

I believe that the pension system might become stricter towards foreigners about paying as each year goes by and maybe by showing your records of pension payments to immigration, it might help smooth out the visa renewal process...but who knows.

I think most people assume that immigration and health insurance/pension are getting more integrated. Aside from it being a pain in the ass to go fetch a gaijin card at the immigration building instead of the ward office, etc, I don't really see a down side, unless the person is someone trying to cut corners with the immigration system, or not pay into the system.

while im all in for spouse visa holders having to renew their visas every year, there is no real rule for that...
my former coworker got three years (first one) and five years next...
i got one and three next... no spouse visa of course...
as with everything related to visa issues, its usually decided on a will... its common to get one-> three-> five, unless youre on a spouse...

In fact the pension/national health/immigration databases are not becoming more linked. Aside from the massive technical difficulties and costs that would be involved there are legal reasons why this can't be really accomplished. My source on this is someone I've known for many years who works with various govt IT.

I believe that the pension system might become stricter towards foreigners about paying as each year goes by and maybe by showing your records of pension payments to immigration

Immigration does not have, and will never get, access to the pension database because it also contains private information on Japanese nationals.

Now that the My Number system is in place, the pension system is becoming more aware of who is and isn't paying into the system, and they will almost certainly be requesting that immigration verify (by having applicant bring in a statement) that pension payments are up to date as part of visa renewals in the future - but they haven't done so yet.. Expect the same for national health down the line too.

But for now, the pension service has nothing to do with immigration, and vice-versa.

Immigration does not have, and will never get, access to the pension database because it also contains private information on Japanese nationals.
Technically in theory its not hard to link two databases while masking data from one or both from the other. Also the PIPA act, even with upcoming revisions may not apply here so personal data may not come into it as long as there is legally justifiable use for the data.

As I understand things the legal challenges are in other areas.

in theory its not hard to link two databases while masking data from one or both from the other

Sure - but it's much easier to get around that sort of limitation than it is to gain access to the database from zero. It'll never be allowed.

Reactions: TAG Manager
Sure - but it's much easier to get around that sort of limitation than it is to gain access to the database from zero. It'll never be allowed.

Never say never...

I'll back Sudsy on this. Based on what I've examined as a part of my RL job, I believe it would take an act of the Diet to really allow something like that. As it contains information on Japanese nationals, this would never get through the Diet. The strict control (I think) dates back to the pension system disaster a number of years back.

The strict control (I think) dates back to the pension system disaster a number of years back.

Exactly. The fallout from that was insane.

Reactions: TAG Manager
Integration isn't even really necessary. In my area they ask for proof that you're paid up on resident taxes before they'll even think about giving you a renewal, and the city office won't give you jack unless you're paid up (or clearly on a plan to pay) for pension.

Expect the same for national health down the line too.

But for now, the pension service has nothing to do with immigration, and vice-versa.

Immigration only require that those applying for a status of residence or an extension to their current status of residence prove that they have paid their taxes, and as the National Pension is not regarded as a tax, it does not matter if past years have not been paid.

But those looking to apply for or extend their status as a Spouse of Japanese, they also need to prove that their wife is up to date with her taxes as well.

However if anyone is paying the Health insurance through the city office on a monthly bases in installments, a tax certificate from the city office would show that there are unpaid taxes, even when they may not officially be overdue.

So the National Pension is not regarded as a tax under the tax law, but the health insurance is regarded as a tax.

Immigration only require that those applying for a status of residence or an extension to their current status of residence prove that they have paid their taxes, and as the National Pension is not regarded as a tax, it does not matter if past years have not been paid.

For now - when they added the tax requirement they were also going to add pension and health payments, and only decided against it as it was logistically too complicated. Now that the logistics are getting easier, they may revisit that option.

For now - when they added the tax requirement they were also going to add pension and health payments, and only decided against it as it was logistically too complicated. Now that the logistics are getting easier, they may revisit that option.

I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but my wife and I had a conversation with the Pension office about this issue and they explained that the Pension information is private and no way would information be shared with immigration, but more importantly they would not ask for information about the pension.

Since I have lived in Japan the Health Insurance has always been regarded as a tax under the tax law, if you check the paper work related to the Health Insurance, its always regarded as "Health Insurance Tax"

Under the tax law the City office can levy fees for non/late payment.

The National Pension is not regarded as a tax under the tax law.

As the National Pension is not regarded as a tax, no fees can be levied for non/late payment.

Also while the National Pension is compulsory to join, its not compulsory to pay.

Immigration is only interested in ensuring that foreigners and their Japanese wife/Husband have paid their taxes prior to making an application for status of residence and or an extension of a status of residence.

Also it should be noted that a foreigner married to a Japanese National can be included on their partners company Pension scheme, so they would not be required to pay.

While the OP is concerned about the non payment of Pension, I feel he should be more concerned about 1) Not living with his wife when making an application for an extension to his status of Spouse of Japanese and 2) Not informing the city office of his change of address.

Last edited:
I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but my wife and I had a conversation with the Pension office about this issue and they explained that the Pension information is private and no way would information be shared with immigration, but more importantly they would not ask for information about the pension.

Since I have lived in Japan the Health Insurance has always been regarded as a tax under the tax law, if you check the paper work related to the Health Insurance, its always regarded as "Health Insurance Tax"

Under the tax law the City office can levy fees for non/late payment.

The National Pension is not regarded as a tax under the tax law.

As the National Pension is not regarded as a tax, no fees can be levied for non/late payment.

Also while the National Pension is compulsory to join, its not compulsory to pay.

Immigration is only interested in ensuring that foreigners and their Japanese wife/Husband have paid their taxes prior to making an application for status of residence and or an extension of a status of residence.

Also it should be noted that a foreigner married to a Japanese National can be included on their partners company Pension scheme, so they would not be required to pay.

While the OP is concerned about the non payment of Pension, I feel he should be more concerned about 1) Not living with his wife when making an application for an extension to his status of Spouse of Japanese and 2) Not informing the city office of his change of address.

Right, they did not include those payments because of the logistics of verifying them, and currently do not attempt to check. They still want to do so, and likely will at some point in the future if they can work out a system. They will never be given direct access to the database, but may work out a system whereby people need to bring their pension book.

The national pension can and will enforce payment though. It's been in the news that they're becoming much more aggressive about doing so since the My Number system hit. They can slap a lien on a bank account quite easily.

But you're definitely correct in that this will not affect any current visa applications or renewals.

Right, they did not include those payments because of the logistics of verifying them, and currently do not attempt to check. They still want to do so, and likely will at some point in the future if they can work out a system. They will never be given direct access to the database, but may work out a system whereby people need to bring their pension book.

Still like to know where you get your information from, as we have spoken with the Pension office and there are no plans to do what you are saying.

The national pension can and will enforce payment though. It's been in the news that they're becoming much more aggressive about doing so since the My Number system hit. They can slap a lien on a bank account quite easily.

Sorry!! You are wrong. The pension office will send out reminders asking for unpaid pension to be paid, but as its not regarded as a TAX, no fees will be charged and no action will be taken to collect unpaid Pension, also you should note that if you have unpaid pension that is older than three years they will not accept payment if you offer to pay past unpaid pension.

What happens when anyone has unpaid pension, is that it reduces the amount they could receive when they claim their pension on retirement.

The City office can and will take action to collect UNPAID TAX, and as the Health Insurance is a tax, they will add fees and interest if its unpaid and these fees and charges are enough to make anyone pay it.

I actually visited the pension office about 3 weeks ago to file for a waiver on the payments I owed last year. They were able to waive about 6 months right away, but due to my guarantor changing, they said it will take 3 or 4 months to process the results to waive the rest of the payments after the guarantor changed.

The good news is they told me that even though I keep getting the yellow letters from the same pension office to pay up, she told me to ignore them and not make any payments until my waiver process results come back in a few months. They were really friendly and reasonable...much different from what I expected. I don't know about the pension offices in other prefectures, but I recommend everyone pay their local pension office a visit (if you have questions for them) without worrying too much about them nailing you to the wall haha.

I actually visited the pension office about 3 weeks ago to file for a waiver on the payments I owed last year. They were able to waive about 6 months right away, but due to my guarantor changing, they said it will take 3 or 4 months to process the results to waive the rest of the payments after the guarantor changed.

The good news is they told me that even though I keep getting the yellow letters from the same pension office to pay up, she told me to ignore them and not make any payments until my waiver process results come back in a few months. They were really friendly and reasonable...much different from what I expected. I don't know about the pension offices in other prefectures, but I recommend everyone pay their local pension office a visit (if you have questions for them) without worrying too much about them nailing you to the wall haha.

Based on your reply it appears that you are having problems making the payments on your
pension and as a result you are falling behind on those payments, this means that you may be
able to claim an exemption to make these payments on the grounds of having a low income.

But to claim the exemption you must apply every year and in your current situation, as soon as
possible as it does not cover past due payments.

Claiming an exemption to pay the national pension will not affect any extensions to your
status of residence, but you must live with your wife.

Should your claim be successful you will either receive a full exemption, a 3/4 exemption, 1/2
exemption or a 1/4 exemption, it appears that in your reply they may have allowed a full
exemption to some of your outstanding payments, you need to check this and ensure you claim
the exemption every year.

After making the claim they will send a card in the post advising you of your exemption every
six months.

Here is a link for you to read about claiming an exemption.

http://www.nenkin.go.jp/international/english/nationalpension/nationalpension.html

However if your wife is working and she is enrolled in a company pension, you can be included
on her company pension as a dependent and then you would not need to worry about paying
the pension or claiming an exemption.

Last edited: