Does anyone else on here have hay fever?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this year I seem to be suffering from hay fever more than I did last year and the year before. This is probably due to living and working in a more countryside area that is near more trees.

My symptoms include: A lot of sneezing, runny/stuffy nose on and off, itchy nose, eyes and even lips.

There is an eye wash called アイボンWビタミン that really helps with itchy eyes. I just thought I would share that with people on here.

As for my eyes, the itchiness is easy to treat but my eyes also feel strange. It is hard to explain, but they feel kind of heavy and sunken in? I don't have any eye conditions outside of this but I'm just wondering if anyone else on here has these symptoms as well? Sometimes my face will feel heavy, but it is usually my eyes.

I suffer from hay fever as well. Besides the pretty heavy outbreak I had in late January, it's actually not too bad compared to Germany. I still have to take my medicine tho. Otherwise I would literally cry when stepping outside.
Having an air purifier helps in my apartment. I can set it to 花粉 and I feel a lot more release when being inside. Have you tried going to a dermatologist to get your symptoms checked? Do you take any medicine such as anti histamine?

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I suffer from hay fever as well. Besides the pretty heavy outbreak I had in late January, it's actually not too bad compared to Germany. I still have to take my medicine tho. Otherwise I would literally cry when stepping outside.
Having an air purifier helps in my apartment. I can set it to 花粉 and I feel a lot more release when being inside. Have you tried going to a dermatologist to get your symptoms checked? Do you take any medicine such as anti histamine?

To avoid spending more money than I want to, I have been wearing face masks when I go out and using these eye care products when the itchiness in my eyes becomes too much. I actually went on a day trip today to a really countryside area and now I'm really feeling the effects of it now. My hay fever is worse today than it has ever been in my life haha.

I will definitely look into getting an air purifier that has a 花粉 setting. By the way, do you live in downtown Tokyo or in a more countryside area? Do your symptoms usually go away when summer comes around?

Some other tips:

If you don't wear glasses try to get some non-prescription glasses and wear them outside. It will block a surprising amount of pollen from entering your eyes.

When you get home, shower straight away and change into clean clothes and toss the old clothes into the washer.

It'll improve your life considerably when you're at home at least.

I've suffered from hay fever and random allergies since I was about 20. I do not medicate daily. I only medicate when I have symptoms. I do not use over the counter drugs because they are well pretty useless. I get 2 different drugs from my doctor. That work well for my symptoms. I get a 60 day supply for like ¥1500 because most of it is covered by insurance. That 60 day supply lasts half a year because I don't take it daily.

Some other tips:

If you don't wear glasses try to get some non-prescription glasses and wear them outside. It will block a surprising amount of pollen from entering your eyes.

When you get home, shower straight away and change into clean clothes and toss the old clothes into the washer.

It'll improve your life considerably when you're at home at least.

+1 on the glasses. I buy those plastic ones at the conbini ... lasts me 2 - 3 years until the plastic lens gets all scratched up. I use them everyday outside during kafun season.

when I feel tiny pin prick like sensation on my eye brows (they also feel fluffy), I know I have it bad. first thing I do is find a washroom or a park with good water supply. I close my eyes and wash my face first, after that I open my eyes and let the water run through them.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
The last couple of days in Tokyo have been terrible for me. I was actually doing pretty good with little to no problem until Friday. My eyes and nose require a lot more care now... I woke up this morning, couldn't get air through my nose and my eyes were deep red. Oral meds, eye drops and nose spray... much more functional now. (I always wear sunglasses outside anyway, so this does help!)

To avoid spending more money than I want to, I have been wearing face masks when I go out and using these eye care products when the itchiness in my eyes becomes too much. I actually went on a day trip today to a really countryside area and now I'm really feeling the effects of it now. My hay fever is worse today than it has ever been in my life haha.

I will definitely look into getting an air purifier that has a 花粉 setting. By the way, do you live in downtown Tokyo or in a more countryside area? Do your symptoms usually go away when summer comes around?

I've heard it can get worse each year. That was the case for me. It started very light a couple of years ago and now it's pretty bad.

I live in the center of Tokyo but have a lot of green around the area (lots of Sakura trees).
I used to live a bit outside of the center until last year November but not sure if I notice a difference.
My symptoms go away during summer and I don't have problems in autumn. It's just spring.

The last couple of days in Tokyo have been terrible for me. I was actually doing pretty good with little to no problem until Friday. My eyes and nose require a lot more care now... I woke up this morning, couldn't get air through my nose and my eyes were deep red. Oral meds, eye drops and nose spray... much more functional now. (I always wear sunglasses outside anyway, so this does help!)
Today is pretty hard for me too. Morning was okay when I woke up but when sitting in school I had a hard time breathing and now on my way home, my eyes are watery like hell :confused: looks like someone made me cry.

Reactions: TAG Manager
I've heard it can get worse each year.

Fortunately it can also get better, so don't lose all hope!

I had a really bad year something like 20 years ago and when I went to the doctor he took all the tests and then absentmindedly said to himself "kafunshoo desu ne". Then he suddenly turned to me and said "but-but foreigners don't get it!". Like I had just betrayed the country or something :p.

But after that it has been non-existing or very very mild, until this year I had a couple of weeks were I needed medication. Still nothing major though. I am counting the next 20 years or so are going to be good again :D

Looks like I still have a problem with hay fever. I originally went to the dermatologist today for another problem which is related to to the allergy and she looked at my eyes and noticed my runny nose. I definitely noticed that my eyes are still watery when outside and that I have problems breathing.
I wonder what type of pollen that is right now.

Reactions: MikeH
Looks like I still have a problem with hay fever. I originally went to the dermatologist today for another problem which is related to to the allergy and she looked at my eyes and noticed my runny nose. I definitely noticed that my eyes are still watery when outside and that I have problems breathing.
I wonder what type of pollen that is right now.

I was told by various Japanese people that most of the heavy pollen is coming from Cedar and Cypress trees. One Japanese friend of mine was explaining how the aging population is a direct cause of this problem because there are less and less young and able men to cut and trim these trees, so the pollen problem is growing worse and worse each year. Now doesn't that just suck for us...

Reactions: Anna Summer
There is a medicine a Japanese friend of mine recommended called アレグラFX and he said it is famous and many people use it. Has anyone tried this allergy medicine before?

Also, I keep reading online that Japanese allergy medicines aren't as strong as they are in the US (as with all medicine) and that it doesn't really make people drowsy? I don't want to chance taking this medicine before I go to work in the mornings, if it is going to make me drowsy. Riding a bicycle to work and teaching English are not possible after taking medicines that make me drowsy.

I also keep reading that although it is not dangerous to take antihistamines while drinking caffeinated drinks (coffee, green tea, Red Bull, etc) wouldn't they clash? Has anyone on here had any side effects from taking allergy medicine and drinking a caffeinated drink within a few hours apart? I just drank a cup of coffee, so would it be safer to wait 2 or 3 hours before taking this kind of medicine?

One Japanese friend of mine was explaining how the aging population is a direct cause of this problem because there are less and less young and able men to cut and trim these trees, so the pollen problem is growing worse and worse each year.

That may be true, but more trees! Celebrate the positive.

Where I live in the states the tulips and dogwood are gorgeous right now, but unfortunately my eyes are burning. Soon it will be summer though, so I won't complain.

I was told by various Japanese people that most of the heavy pollen is coming from Cedar and Cypress trees. One Japanese friend of mine was explaining how the aging population is a direct cause of this problem because there are less and less young and able men to cut and trim these trees, so the pollen problem is growing worse and worse each year. Now doesn't that just suck for us...

Not even surprising the ... my teachers were surprised as well that I still have symptoms and walking around with tears eyes and a runny nose.
But my dermatologist said that I'm not the only one and that she had a good amount of Japanese people complaining about that to her.

As for the medicine:
I got a antihistamine, which I have to take right before sleeping. I also heard that Japanese medicine is not as strong as western but this morning I was walking a bit weird and felt slightly dizzy. Not sure if it's related to the medication (I had 8 hours of sleep so that can't be the issue).
She also prescribed me a nose spray, eye drops, vitamin B2, B6 and Vitamin C. Not sure what they are supposed to do with having hay fever but whatever.
I can take a look what type of antihistamine I got, when I'm home later.
I almost feel like the one from Germany makes me less drowsy but doesn't work as good when I take it.

That's the medicine I got. Doctor said it's one of the best at the moment (I don't have much to compare to...)

Attachments

• IMG_2498.JPG
    IMG_2498.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 86
Well, I took アレグラFX for the first time only about 2 hours ago and I feel great. I have no symptoms and I feel as if I don't have hay fever at all...for the moment. I will definitely be taking it twice a day until the Cypress trees are finished pollinating.

I'm with you, suffering as well, but luckily the symptoms are relatively light for me, so I never went to a doctor because of it, or took some medicine.

Well, I took アレグラFX for the first time only about 2 hours ago and I feel great. I have no symptoms and I feel as if I don't have hay fever at all...for the moment. I will definitely be taking it twice a day until the Cypress trees are finished pollinating.

Aregura is the medicine found in common drug stores that is the closest to those sold by doctors these days. Drugs sold at hospitals are always better than the ones at common shops.

Ok, so due to it being Golden Week, I want to drink beer with people and relax. I realize that the directions on the Allegra FX box warn not to take alcohol while taking this medicine, but the last time I took it was yesterday afternoon. I spoke with a young Japanese pharmacist that told me that it is safe to drink alcohol/beer if I wait at least 8 hours after taking this medicine?

I'm not saying I don't trust him because he most likely knows what he is talking about, but the funny thing is I was told to wait 12 hours between each time I take the medicine itself...so why would I be able to consume alcohol in less time? It seems that a possible overdose is much more dangerous than it possibly mixing with a little alcohol.

Anyway, he mentioned that a 60mg tablet will be fully absorbed by the body after 8 hours and said if I drink around this time, I would be ok and that if I drank say tonight at 9pm, I would be able to take this medicine again as early as 6am the following morning? That surprised me to be honest.

I just thought I would share this information for all you drinkers on here that also suffer from hay fever lol.

I just wanted to see if anyone else on here is allergic to hinoki and has my lung symptoms? Over the passed 3 weeks or so my lung have been feeling heavy and my chest feels tight. I also feel a little light of breath. I am able to take deep breathes but my breathing seems a bit labored and it feels wheezy when I fully exhale.

My Japanese friend mentioned that hinoki season doesn't completely end until the end of this month? I really hope that I'm not showing signs of lung cancer or anything because that is freaky. I will have to get check out right away. Is anyone else on here having major lung symptoms now? I hope I'm not the only one.

Glad you find "アレグラ" as a great medicine. My brother is a dentist and have a pretty good opinion on medicines, (even as a dentist, in the US!) he brought Allegra back from US when he visited Japan, recommended allegra as a good allegy cure medicine. Your description had blown me away! That's amazing, you feel very different by taken and not taken. Interesting.

I don't have much polen allegy but I have a slight simptom. Runny nose, itchy nose issue for sometimes. Haven't taken alle, yet but it's in my thought.

Usually, my condition can be solved by nose washing by Asada ame浅田飴 's gargle liquid.
It's purple liquid, spooky, but I gargle really
well, pretty deep almost throat to wash it up,and my lips, for my nose make a mild liquid with more water, it makes my nose soooooo refreshed!!! It's amazing!!! I can't live without it! Such an addiction! So, before drinking, maybe nose wash may help, alternative to allegra.
Strong medicine could cause side effect when drinking, that indeed can be scary.

So, please find Asadaame 浅田飴 うがい薬 gargle liquid!!! It looks like this!!
Take care!

Attachments

• IMG_7069.JPG
    IMG_7069.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 65