Guest viewing is limited

Doner Kebab Near Ueno Station

Jbagz

TAG Member
Reaction score
I apologize because this is more in the category of street food and not a restaurant by a long shot. However, this seemed like a good place post this.

Adjacent to Ueno Station there is a large street market area called Ameyoko and hidden inside the maze of alleys and shops there is a doner kebab stall that will knock your socks off.

The guy who runs the place is an ethnic Turk and he really knows how to slow roast beef and chicken. But what makes his kebabs special to me are his sauces. He has several to choose from but his chilli sauce is what makes me speak of him in such high regard.

I'm curious if anyone out there knows the place I'm talking about. It think it is called Jumbo Doner Kebab, but not sure.

I'm coming back to Tokyo in a couple of weeks and I actually booked a hotel in Ueno, just so I can get my kebab fix easily.

I'd also like to know about any other unusual, quirky but surprisingly good spots to grab a bite to eat.

I'm also a big fan of Pee Alley in Shinjuku, so I'll try just about anything.

Reactions: Yuma
Last edited:
I know the place, eaten there twice. Nothing special though imho, but I'm comparing to kebab here in Europe. I like the kebab place in Shibuya better.

Yes, one of my Japanese friends laughs at me for getting excited about a kebab from a street vendor stall.

Got any landmarks for the place in Shibuya? I'll give them a try if I'm near it and hungry.

Theres another small Turkish resteraunt near donquixote shibuya. It's one of my favorite. Its completely different from the other places. The only catch is they don't have any spicy sauces but the taste is pretty authentic and bread used is wow!

Reactions: Simonka and Jbagz
The kebab store in Akihabara (small back streets) is also good but for me the one in Harajuku is the best. I've seen the Ueno one but never tried.

The kebab store in Akihabara (small back streets) is also good but for me the one in Harajuku is the best. I've seen the Ueno one but never tried.

There is nowadays at least half a dozen kebab places in the back streets of Akihabara.

And no offence meant (well, maybe just a tiny bit :D) but comparing kebab places in Tokyo sounds like comparing sushi restaurants in London. There is only bad and then worse. :(

Hint; the meat is so mediocre here that Turkish guys running those kebab stands don't eat it themselves. :LOL:

Reactions: TAG_Member
There is nowadays at least half a dozen kebab places in the back streets of Akihabara.

And no offence meant (well, maybe just a tiny bit :D) but comparing kebab places in Tokyo sounds like comparing sushi restaurants in London. There is only bad and then worse. :(

Hint; the meat is so mediocre here that Turkish guys running those kebab stands don't eat it themselves. :LOL:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ants-awarded-two-michelin-stars-in-2016-guide

Just to refute your sushi restaurant in London point. Cuisine is international, at least for big cities. Just a question of how exotic it is / how much the taste has changed from the home country.

Reactions: MikeH
Just a question of how exotic it is / how much the taste has changed from the home country.

This is the biggest point for sure: back at the old country we used to have a saying that if the waitresses in Chinese or Japanese restaurant speak your language don't eat there as they have already changed the taste also.

My experiences in London are already a decade old but that time a sushi chef I knew there told that it's impossible to make good sushi as you just don't get the fish fresh enough. Seems things have changed but then again with 300 pounds per person you are supposed to get something decent already ;).

I've eaten at the Kader kebab in Ropponggi next to TGI Friday's. Pretty good.

Reactions: MikeH